• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama open carrier featured on CBS News 42 video!

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Channel 42 news contacted me today and set up an interview about OpenCarry!

We did an interview about the legality of Open Carry andwhy should we Open Carry. I think this will be great! Be sure to tune in and watch!

Watch tonight at 10. Channel 42 news!!

OPEN CARRY BLOOD DRIVE ~ Hoover Tactical ~ April 10, 2010

--

UPDATE: Video report at http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/Open-Carry-Firearms/vIibfancOkOJUj5hCOpIuQ.cspx

Most people know that in Alabama gun owners must have a permit to carry a concealed firearm. But not as many know that they can carry a holstered pistol openly without a permit.

There are no state laws prohibiting the open carry of firearms. There is also an Attorney General's opinion that says it is legal for gunowners to do so.

But there are limitations. No weapons can be carried on school campuses, court houses and government buildings. But most restaurants and businesses are open, except in cases where they, the businesses, prohibit the possession of firearms on their grounds.

libertyman777

imported post

That's great! I heard something today on Laura Ingram's show about open carry and looked up this site. I'll be watching tonight. I'm excited about open carry.

Paul

Hollowpoint38

imported post

Yeah. I guy named Ale Ratcliffe from CBS 42 called my cell and asked when I could do an interview. I told him in the next hour. We met at the Aldridge Botanical Gardens and he recorded me. LOL It was awesome! He said it will be on the 10 o'clock news!

CBS 42 at 10! BE SURE TO SPREAD THE WORD!

Adoette

imported post

Started lurking here a few days ago to learn more about AL open carry. Imagine my surprise when I see an opencarry.org map on the CBS news tonight. :D

Glad to see good press on this. Now I'm a little less hesitant about get a gun and open carrying out and about.

Good job mate.

Cheers,

Addy

Alwaysdoubletap

imported post

I saw your interview, great job !!
I am new to the site but glad to see that there are others who feel as I do about open carry. I'm from Cullman , and so I've been told this is not a county to carry openly regarless of state law.
Hopefully with publicity and like mineded citizens we can
overcome ignorance and biased interpretation of the law.

fox2102

imported post

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/Open-Carry-Firearms/vIibfancOkOJUj5hCOpIuQ.cspx

Here is the link to the video

I lived in vestavia up until about a week ago. I'm in mt. olive now and i will say that the gardendale police do not like OC at all. I had a run in with one of their officers who told me it was illegal to carry that way unless i was a cop or security officer. I contacted the mayor and the police chief but nothing was really done. The police chief tried to pull code 13a-11-52 on me and i went back and redid my research and sure enough 13a-11-73 over rules 52 as demonstrated in a court case. I dont remember which one.

If there is going to be an OC event in birmingham add me to the mailing list. I'd love to come out with the wife and the 1911

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Anyone know where the news reproter gets the carry restriction re "government buildings"?

Is there an Alabama statestatute banning carry in "government buildings"?

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Wow. Great Job Tim! Now we've really got some momentum. This would've been a video on the Dreamland BBQ event if it were'nt for all the permission askin' I did. LOL!

I'll be at the Blood Drive, XDM at 3 o'clock. Gotta love Hoover Tactical. They've been letting me put trifolds in there for months.

Wasn't going to necessarily put this up, but after all the attention, might as well. Hollowpoint and I will be meeting up at Noon this Sunday at Starbucks in 5 Points South Birmingham to co-ordinate and share info. Feel free to stop by and meet some of your fellow OC'ers if you're in Birmingham. Open carrying not required. (Of course.)

Again, Congrats on the press, this is exactly what we needed.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

Thanks. I feel great that I was hopefully able to help get the word out to some of the Leo's in Alabama that aren't aware of the Open Carry laws. I hope this will help with some of the unnecessary arrests and hassling. See you on Sunday! Hope some more people decide to join us for a cup of Joe.

eye95

imported post

Mike wrote:
Anyone know where the news reproter gets the carry restriction re "government buildings"?

Is there an Alabama statestatute banning carry in "government buildings"?
I've read, reread, and reread Alabama's statutes. I've seen nothing regarding "government buildings" at all. I think this is a case of sloppy reporting.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Let's go folks - organize, mobilize, focus!

NATO doctrine is in effect across every state - an attack on one gun owner's rights is an attack on all!

fox2102

imported post

I thought the same thing about government buildings. I also thought that it was legal to carry in a school as long as "there is no intent to bodily harm"

aadvark

imported post

Grapeshot,

Open Carry of a Unlicensed Unconcealed Pistol, or any other Long-gun, is Legal in:

1. ANY Government Building or Office, AND

2. IS LEGAL in any Alabama Courthouse, AND

3. IS LEGAL in any School (K-12), if there is no intent to do bodily harm, AND the Person has a Valid Pistol Permit, preferalby from that County Sheriff wherein the School, AND

4. IS LEGAL in all Adult Schools (Colleges and Universities), AND

5. IS EVEN LEGAL in the County Sheriff's Office or County Jail!

Local Governments are Preempted per Alabama Codes 1975 11-45-1.1 (pertaining to Pistols) and 11-80-11 (pertaining to ANY OTHER Firearm).

Local Bans are preempted!!!!!