Thread: NRA declares proposed Topeka, KS open carry ban unacceptable!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5560

Kansas: Anti-Open Carry Agenda Proposed in Topeka

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kansas: Anti-Open Carry Agenda Proposed in Topeka

Thursday, March 11, 2010

On Tuesday, March 9, during a City Council work session, City attorney Kyle Smith and Police Chief Ron Miller proposed banning the open carrying of firearms in Topeka. In 2007, the city council repealed its ban on the open carry of firearms, so it’s unclear why these officials have now proposed reinstituting such an ordinance. Since then, there have been no instances of unlawfulness or violence regarding open carry. The claims and "what ifs" stated by the opponents are unfounded and not supported by any research or facts. They are simply using scare tactics to push more stringent gun restrictions on the citizens of Topeka.

Please contact your City Council member and urge him or her not to consider this anti-gun proposal.

Topeka City Council Members

Karen Hiller (Dist- 1)
    (785) 232-2917
    khiller@topeka.org

John Alcala (Dist- 2)
    (785) 233-7110
    jalcala@topeka.org

Sylvia Ortiz (Dist- 3)
    (785) 357-0717
    sortiz@topeka.org

Jack Woelfel (Dist- 4)
    (785) 215-3323
    jwoelfel@topeka.org

Larry Wolgast (Dist- 5)
    (785) 272-6896
    lwolgast@topeka.org

Deborah Swank (Dist- 6)
    (785) 233-1037
    djswank@cox.net

Bob Archer (Dist- 7)
    (785) 817-8157
    barcher@topeka.org

Jeff Preisner (Dist- 8)
    (785) 271-1959
    jpreisner@topeka.org

Deputy Mayor Richard Harmon (Dist- 9)
    (785) 271-6962
    rharmon@topeka.org

[font=Arial][size=2]

Post imported post

I live within a hour of Topeka, And in my view it's a city that is hard to understand. That is the same city council that unofficially changed the city's name to Google,Kansas. I hope the state will override the city here, or they read the Constitution and our Bill of Rights. In my view it over rides anything a city says.
    "Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Post imported post

McLintock wrote:
    I live within a hour of Topeka, And in my view it's a city that is hard to understand. That is the same city council that unofficially changed the city's name to Google,Kansas. I hope the state will override the city here, or they read the Constitution and our Bill of Rights. In my view it over rides anything a city says.
    Hope they get sued.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

::sigh::
    One of those is my uncle.
    I'm going to email him, see how far I get.
    In most things he's very conservative, in what I see as a bad closed-minded way, so I
    wonder why he'd want to reduce people's rights?

Never mind... Kansas does have preemption. Although a city can regulate the MANNER
    in which someone openly carries their firearm, they cannot prohibit it.

See the state law here: http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-...12-16,124.html

So far he hasn't responded to me... next step is to contact the rest of the council & point out the state law.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Post imported post

MKEgal wrote:
    One of those is my uncle. . . . In most things he's very conservative, in what I see as a bad closed-minded way, so I
    wonder why he'd want to reduce people's rights?
    Why are you wondering why your uncle would want to reduce people's rights? You said it yourself, he's"very conservative, in what I see as a bad closed-minded way".

There are "conservatives" who wantlimited government, including elimination of government suppression ofindividual liberty. Andthere are "conservatives" who want limited government, but want governmentsuppressionof certain individual liberties they don't like. And there are "conservatives" of other variations.

"Very conservative" doesn't mean diddly in relation to views on government interference withparticularliberties.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Here is the latest news coverage of this issue:

http://news.google.com/news/search?q...&scoring=n

TFred

Post imported post

OMG. Topeka, home of the Westboro Baptist church, a pack of raving nuts with an insatiable thirst for publicity (They are the loons who do "God Hates F*gs" demonstrations at soldiers' funerals). If this stuff gets big enough they will find some way to - loudly and obnoxiously as possible - insert themselves into this debate. I hope they glom onto the Anti' side and not ours. Or - hey, silver lining - start yelling for the government to disarm homosexuals to make it easier to kill them. THAT would be a big bonus.

Post imported post

Did I just see Satan shopping for a snowblower at Tractor Supply?

I am shocked! Shocked, I am!

The Negotiate Rights Away actually spoke up about OC? with an entire paragraph making a very pointed, uhm, point?

I'm sorry if I am lacking eloquence, I'm just so, uhm, shocked!
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

Even the NRA can see a surfer catching a wave... I think the national and international publicity of the Starbucks story has provided Open Carry a critical mass.

We have the Brady Bunch to thank for this, which makes it even more fun.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    We have the Brady Bunch to thank for this, which makes it even more fun.
    It is a beautiful thing...

Just keep jabbering, Mr. Helmke! Your hate speech drives more and more away from your failed lies!
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.