• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA declares proposed Topeka, KS open carry ban unacceptable!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5560

Kansas: Anti-Open Carry Agenda Proposed in Topeka

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kansas: Anti-Open Carry Agenda Proposed in Topeka

Thursday, March 11, 2010

On Tuesday, March 9, during a City Council work session, City attorney Kyle Smith and Police Chief Ron Miller proposed banning the open carrying of firearms in Topeka. In 2007, the city council repealed its ban on the open carry of firearms, so it’s unclear why these officials have now proposed reinstituting such an ordinance. Since then, there have been no instances of unlawfulness or violence regarding open carry. The claims and "what ifs" stated by the opponents are unfounded and not supported by any research or facts. They are simply using scare tactics to push more stringent gun restrictions on the citizens of Topeka.

Please contact your City Council member and urge him or her not to consider this anti-gun proposal.

Topeka City Council Members

Karen Hiller (Dist- 1)
(785) 232-2917
khiller@topeka.org

John Alcala (Dist- 2)
(785) 233-7110
jalcala@topeka.org

Sylvia Ortiz (Dist- 3)
(785) 357-0717
sortiz@topeka.org

Jack Woelfel (Dist- 4)
(785) 215-3323
jwoelfel@topeka.org

Larry Wolgast (Dist- 5)
(785) 272-6896
lwolgast@topeka.org

Deborah Swank (Dist- 6)
(785) 233-1037
djswank@cox.net

Bob Archer (Dist- 7)
(785) 817-8157
barcher@topeka.org

Jeff Preisner (Dist- 8)
(785) 271-1959
jpreisner@topeka.org

Deputy Mayor Richard Harmon (Dist- 9)
(785) 271-6962
rharmon@topeka.org

McLintock

imported post

I live within a hour of Topeka, And in my view it's a city that is hard to understand. That is the same city council that unofficially changed the city's name to Google,Kansas. I hope the state will override the city here, or they read the Constitution and our Bill of Rights. In my view it over rides anything a city says.

zack991

imported post

McLintock wrote:
I live within a hour of Topeka, And in my view it's a city that is hard to understand. That is the same city council that unofficially changed the city's name to Google,Kansas. I hope the state will override the city here, or they read the Constitution and our Bill of Rights. In my view it over rides anything a city says.
Hope they get sued.

MKEgal

imported post

::sigh::
One of those is my uncle.
I'm going to email him, see how far I get.
In most things he's very conservative, in what I see as a bad closed-minded way, so I
wonder why he'd want to reduce people's rights?

Never mind... Kansas does have preemption. Although a city can regulate the MANNER
in which someone openly carries their firearm, they cannot prohibit it.

See the state law here: http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/getStatuteFile.do?number=/12-16,124.html

So far he hasn't responded to me... next step is to contact the rest of the council & point out the state law.

DanM

imported post

MKEgal wrote:
One of those is my uncle. . . . In most things he's very conservative, in what I see as a bad closed-minded way, so I
wonder why he'd want to reduce people's rights?

Why are you wondering why your uncle would want to reduce people's rights? You said it yourself, he's"very conservative, in what I see as a bad closed-minded way".

There are "conservatives" who wantlimited government, including elimination of government suppression ofindividual liberty. Andthere are "conservatives" who want limited government, but want governmentsuppressionof certain individual liberties they don't like. And there are "conservatives" of other variations.

"Very conservative" doesn't mean diddly in relation to views on government interference withparticularliberties.

Alexcabbie

imported post

OMG. Topeka, home of the Westboro Baptist church, a pack of raving nuts with an insatiable thirst for publicity (They are the loons who do "God Hates F*gs" demonstrations at soldiers' funerals). If this stuff gets big enough they will find some way to - loudly and obnoxiously as possible - insert themselves into this debate. I hope they glom onto the Anti' side and not ours. Or - hey, silver lining - start yelling for the government to disarm homosexuals to make it easier to kill them. THAT would be a big bonus.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Did I just see Satan shopping for a snowblower at Tractor Supply?

I am shocked! Shocked, I am!

The Negotiate Rights Away actually spoke up about OC? with an entire paragraph making a very pointed, uhm, point?

I'm sorry if I am lacking eloquence, I'm just so, uhm, shocked!

TFred

imported post

Even the NRA can see a surfer catching a wave... I think the national and international publicity of the Starbucks story has provided Open Carry a critical mass.

We have the Brady Bunch to thank for this, which makes it even more fun.

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
We have the Brady Bunch to thank for this, which makes it even more fun.
It is a beautiful thing...

Just keep jabbering, Mr. Helmke! Your hate speech drives more and more away from your failed lies!