• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court OKs ‘under God’ in Pledge of Allegiance

scot623

imported post

I love this descision. We are a nation founded under GOD and shouldn't have to hide from that fact. Way to go Appelate Court!

SAN FRANCISCO - A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld the use of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency, rejecting arguments on Thursday that the phrases violate the separation of church and state.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel rejected two legal challenges by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow, who claimed the references to God disrespect his religious beliefs.

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

The same court ruled in Newdow's favor in 2002 after he sued his daughter's school district for forcing students to recite the pledge.

That lawsuit reached the U.S. Supreme Court in 2004, but the high court ruled that Newdow lacked the legal standing to file the suit because he didn't have custody of his daughter, on whose behalf he brought the case.

So Newdow, who is a doctor and lawyer, filed the challenge on behalf of other parents who objected to their children being required to recite the pledge. In 2005, a federal judge in Sacramento decided in Newdow's favor, ruling that the pledge was unconstitutional.

"I want to be treated equally," Newdow said when he argued the case before the 9th Circuit in December 2007. He added that supporters of the phrase "want to have their religious views espoused by the government."

In a separate 3-0 ruling Thursday, the appeals court upheld the inscription of the national motto "In God We Trust" on coins and currency.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35821301/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

CoonDog

imported post

I don't usually like to talk OT politics on OCDO because I feel it detracts from the main focus. So, I'll just say this and then be on my way: this is a terrible ruling. Find me on MGO if you want to discuss.

manicdevery

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
I don't usually like to talk OT politics on OCDO because I feel it detracts from the main focus. So, I'll just say this and then be on my way: this is a terrible ruling. Find me on MGO if you want to discuss.
+1

Bronson

imported post

scot623 wrote:
"The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

Hmmm, then why don't we say the pledge the way it was originally written?
I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
"under God" was added in 1954.

Bronson

kyleplusitunes

imported post

under god is a call for patriotism, NOT a call for church. it is meant to be god willing as in Lincolns Gettysburg address, however, it was grammtically incorrect.

also, as an atheist I fully support the use of the words under god, I think people need to focus energy on things that matter, instead of things that do not matter whatsoever.

if I was a judge, I would simply rule, "mind your own business, quit being a sissy" it would solve many of the worlds problems.

cvogtmann

imported post

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

Why cant we just say the original pledge?

We are one nation under multiple gods, beliefs and religions and it is up to each and every one of us to decide on how we want to believe and shouldn't be the government telling people what to say.

To me i dont want the government telling me where im not allowed to carry my gun and i dont want the government to tell me how to pledge allegiance to the flag of our great country.

Everyone on here hates Govt intrusion when it comes to our guns and the second amendment but your ok with the government telling people what they have to say in the pledge of allegiance?

manicdevery

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
under god is a call for patriotism, NOT a call for church. it is meant to be god willing as in Lincolns Gettysburg address, however, it was grammtically incorrect.

also, as an atheist I fully support the use of the words under god, I think people need to focus energy on things that matter, instead of things that do not matter whatsoever.

if I was a judge, I would simply rule, "mind your own business, quit being a sissy" it would solve many of the worlds problems.
great comment, and also as an atheist i guess if i were asked i would say the original pledge covers everyone. but......
if i cared at all on the matter i would have said something a long time ago. :)

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

cvogtmann wrote:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

Why cant we just say the original pledge?

We are one nation under multiple gods, beliefs and religions and it is up to each and every one of us to decide on how we want to believe and shouldn't be the government telling people what to say.

To me i dont want the government telling me where im not allowed to carry my gun and i dont want the government to tell me how to pledge allegiance to the flag of our great country.

Everyone on here hates Govt intrusion when it comes to our guns and the second amendment but your ok with the government telling people what they have to say in the pledge of allegiance?
You can. No one is stopping you. If you don't want to say something, no one can stop you. You can say nothing at all. It is your right.springerdave.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
I just think it's funny. Like it or not we are all under God. Just like we are all in the militia. Some things just aren't really up for debate like it or not.
Your conclusion depends on the existence of God. I reject this premise outright.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Your conclusion depends on the existence of God. I reject this premise outright.

Not dependant upon God, but upon a supreme being yes. This would include the ideology of the majority of the world. Certainly there are many who believe in no supreme being of any sort, and I respect that,although I don't live my life trying to avoid offending them.

While I would neverpass a chance to offer the viewpoints of my belief, I won't make anyone's ears (or eyeballs in this case) bleed either. However, should anyone be interested in a private discussion, I am available.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My point is merely thus: I believe in no "supreme being" of any sort. I consider such to be superstition at best.

Now, what are the ramifications of that? Not much. I'm content not to say the pledge of allegiance, both because "god" is silly, but more importantly because my allegiance to the ideals of liberty is far greater than my allegiance to any government or symbol thereof -- government no longer deserves my allegiance when it fails to serve liberty, whereas if government enhances my liberty it will not need a pledge to gain my allegiance.

But don't expect this decision to excite me. This is a big ol' :quirky to me. I don't care about the pledge in the first place. But if I did, I'd probably be inclined to side with those who do not approve of this decision.