• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

concealed carry while intox

Hef

imported post

Legal or not, you'd be a real moron to carry a firearm intoxicated. When you get drunk, your judgment goes down the toilet, you lose coordination, you lose fine motor skills (followed by gross motor skills), you lose your balance, your eyes are slower to focus, and you are more easily angered.

Do you really think anybody with that list of problems ought to be carrying a firearm?

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Even if it is "legal" in your jurisdiction, if you have to shoot someone in self defense while drunk, the prosecutors are gonna crucify you. Since you were drunk, you can't even be your own reliable witness to the incident.

Val Kilmer in Tombstone:

BG: "You so drunk, you probably can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double."
DOC: "I have two guns; one for each of you."

:celebrate

theschultz

imported post

Wow! Rants and not one citation of law. Emotional group. Maybe one does not benefit from such high states of emotion, it fogs the perception; much like alcohol. :D

Why not answer the question?

jahwarrior

imported post

in PA, there is no statute or law making it illegal to be drunk and armed. basically, if you get picked up for being drunk in public, the worst that can happen is that get charged for public intoxication, and maybe disorderly conduct.being armed won't excacerbate the charges, or at least shouldn't.

a few years ago, a friend asked me the same thing. he was out drinking, while carrying a gun, and had the sense enough to not drive home. he walked to a gas station to call a cab. an attendant saw him, and noticed his gun, so he called the police. they showed up, arrested him, took his gun and license, and let him go the next day. he was charged with the offenses i already listed, plus being a public menace, brandishing a firearm, possession of a weapon while intoxicated (which isa nonexistant law), and public nuisance.

he, and the officer, were dumbfounded when the judge dismissed all but the PI charge, which was a small fine. the officer even argued with the judge, not believing it wasn't illegal to be drunk and armed. he got his things back, and got a better concealment holster.

so, yes, it's perfectly legal to be hammered and carry. is it smart? maybe not. i don't drink, so i don't worry about it.

mrjam2jab

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
in PA, there is no statute or law making it illegal to be drunk and armed. basically, if you get picked up for being drunk in public, the worst that can happen is that get charged for public intoxication, and maybe disorderly conduct.being armed won't excacerbate the charges, or at least shouldn't.

a few years ago, a friend asked me the same thing. he was out drinking, while carrying a gun, and had the sense enough to not drive home. he walked to a gas station to call a cab. an attendant saw him, and noticed his gun, so he called the police. they showed up, arrested him, took his gun and license, and let him go the next day. he was charged with the offenses i already listed, plus being a public menace, brandishing a firearm, possession of a weapon while intoxicated (which isa nonexistant law), and public nuisance.

he, and the officer, were dumbfounded when the judge dismissed all but the PI charge, which was a small fine. the officer even argued with the judge, not believing it wasn't illegal to be drunk and armed. he got his things back, and got a better concealment holster.

so, yes, it's perfectly legal to be hammered and carry. is it smart? maybe not. i don't drink, so i don't worry about it.

Bolded also a nonexistent law in PA... but you knew that. :p

jahwarrior

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
jahwarrior72 wrote:

Bolded also a nonexistent law in PA... but you knew that. :p
good catch. yeah, i knew that. i told my buddy this as he was telling me this story. the judge also mentioned the "brandishing" law was nonexistant, along with public menace. basically, the officer just made up a bunch of statutes he thought should exist.