• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well I'll never buy field and stream ever again. DUCT TAPE ALERT

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Petzal has taken the crown from Zumbo in my book.

Summation: Don't OC it will legislatively be taken away from us. Don't OC you could be shot by the police, talk about police bashing!

Seriously boycott field and stream now.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nut/2010/03/petzal-just-because-you-can

Petzal: Just Because You Can
Thirty-odd years ago I got a pistol permit for the county in which I live, and because the law was so vague I asked the detective who processed my application what it meant in real terms when it came to carrying the gat.
“We don’t care what you do,” he said. “Just don’t go showing it off in public.” This was good advice 30 years ago, and it still is.
I’m referring, of course, to meet-ups, the social occasions where people who believe in open carry get together in public to display their hardware and to hopefully provoke lawmakers into making it easier to carry concealed. Starbucks has been the host to meet-ups, and to its everlasting credit has refused to turn its pistol-packing customers away, despite enraged screeches from appalled anti-gunners.
If you want to carry openly and can do it legally, why have at it. But be reminded of the following. Many people, when they see a gun riding on the belt of someone who is not obviously a cop, are startled, shocked, or scared pissless, and when they learn that packing heat openly is legal, they may decide that it should not be legal, and will vote accordingly.
And there is a more practical side. As the fabric of our society continues to disintegrate and every whack job with a grievance decides to get his (or her) 15 minutes of fame with a gun (or a light plane)—absolutely guaranteed by the media—you would do well to be careful about displaying weapons lest your motives be misconstrued by the nearest cop. The officer who fires a warning shot through your heart will feel terrible about it after he learns that you were only expressing a political opinion. You, however, will not feel much of anything, ever again.

longwatch

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I'll bet PutzAl is a Chamberlain carrying the water for the Emperor NRA that has no clothes.
The silence in Fairfax is deafening.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I'll bet PutzAl is a Chamberlain carrying the water for the Emperor NRA that has no clothes.
The silence in Fairfax is deafening.
I am sure some other waterboy will be along shortly.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You know, I have been doing this for only 5 months now and have yet to have one negative encounter with anyone. I have had some bug eyes :shock:but have had no negative response. I have been in the presence of children (including my own) in restruants, coffee shops, grocery stores, retailers, parks and not one bad experience. No one goes running or screaming away. No one calls 911 in a sheer panic. These people that should be on our side are just plain silly. I challenge them to come spend one day with me and just watch.

It is the mentality of supposed gun owners like this that our rights have eroded.

longwatch

imported post

The blogger/ gun writer community is not monolithic (or run by the NRA) but it will bear watching to see what the other main stream gun rags do. Fortunately we don't depend on them as our center of knowledge and community is obviously internet based. I can also think of more than a few OC friendly gun writers I can turn too, Michael Bane for starters, Rob Pincus & Tom Gresham (who have posted here) and last but not least Dave Workman.

PavePusher

imported post

My contribution to F & S:

"To all the Open Carry nay-sayers out there, please bear in mind one name: Jim Zumbo. He too sounded off arrogantly and ignorantly about a subject he knew little about... and was roundly and deservedly pilloried for it. He also learned a valuble lesson and became a better person for it.

All the folks calling for the demise of Open Carry, you sound exactly like the anti-gun people, casting out inaccurate, untrue, hyperbolic statements and personal fears as fact.

Please do a little research on the subject. Support your suppositions with facts. If you can't find facts, your assertion may not match reality. If you refuse to find facts, well, that speaks for itself.

My first challange: Please find 10 instances of the Open Carrier being "first one shot" in a crime, BUT they have to have been targeted by virtue of the exposed firearm.

I'll wait."

Comment left at approx. 8:33 p.m. Arizona Time, 11 March.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Truth be known - I gave up on Field & Steam a long time ago.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maybe next time they'll check the member count on the main page and decide whether losing 28K potential customers is worth publishing a screed that has so genuinelybeneficial information to offer. Too little possible gain weighed againsttoo much possible loss, I am thinking.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
My contribution to F & S:

"To all the Open Carry nay-sayers out there, please bear in mind one name: Jim Zumbo. He too sounded off arrogantly and ignorantly about a subject he knew little about... and was roundly and deservedly pilloried for it. He also learned a valuble lesson and became a better person for it.

All the folks calling for the demise of Open Carry, you sound exactly like the anti-gun people, casting out inaccurate, untrue, hyperbolic statements and personal fears as fact.

Please do a little research on the subject. Support your suppositions with facts. If you can't find facts, your assertion may not match reality. If you refuse to find facts, well, that speaks for itself.

My first challange: Please find 10 instances of the Open Carrier being "first one shot" in a crime, BUT they have to have been targeted by virtue of the exposed firearm.

I'll wait."

Comment left at approx. 8:33 p.m. Arizona Time, 11 March.
I'll raise you the house limit on that.

Show us one (1) verifiable cite when an honest, legal OCer (not LE, security or military) has ever in modern times in these United States been preemptively taken out by a criminal. This challenge has stood unanswered for many, many years.

When and if it does happen, the resultant ratio will resemble .000001%

Yata hey

zack991

imported post

I love it how the article wants us to be passive and that we should never do it because it may offend a person.That they now know it is legal and may try to vote in the near future to stop me. I hate this passive BS argument that the conservatives have preached over and over again. This type of thinking has allowed more and more restrictions to be placed on us gun owners because these thin skinned idiots don't want to hold their ground and fight for our beliefs.

You fight fire with fire and it has worked for these ant-gunners for years and we are just now starting to fight back with fire. For so many years people have been saying lets not wake them up to reality with facts let them continue to spread their false facts and hope they do not ban our rights completely away. We don't want to hurt their feelings. I am sick of being told to stay passive and to not go on the offensive to defend my rights, the idea of hope and pray they don't take my rights offends me.

You never win a fight by playing fair, you play for keeps. The gun community in past has been we have to play fair and let them walk over us and we must compromise at every anti gun bill instead of fighting.I just find it funny that the major gun cases the have help secured our rights have not been the politicians or NRA or the GOA.

It has been the gun owners themselves sick and tired of compromising their rights in playing "fair". I am a member of both the NRA and GOA and it still upsets me that when it has come to major issues it was the gun owner fighting for these rights while the NRA and others stood by and watched. It was on cam and company plenty of times where they thought it was horrible idea for Heller to go after DC. Yet when he won the case they acted like it was their idea the whole time.

Michigander

imported post

I bought an issue of it at an airport in kali about a decade ago, because that was the best gun/outdoors magazine they had. I thought it was lame as hell, and I can't think of an instance since then where I have read one.

Ca Patriot

imported post

I stopped buying that magazine 10 years ago because of their anti-gun rights positions.

Their editor is very liberal and it filters down throughout the magazine.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And he thinks open carriers practice the freedom to get law makers to loosen concealed carry laws?Perhapsfor somein California, because LEA's charged with issuing concealed carry permits are largely unwilling to do so, they have left gun owners with no choice but to carry openly.

Poppycock...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You know, when I first joind OCDO I had different ideas about gun control issues than I do now. Afte reading the statistics and information I found here, and re-thinking, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as "sensible" gun control laws.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
You know, when I first joind OCDO I had different ideas about gun control issues than I do now. Afte reading the statistics and information I found here, and re-thinking, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as "sensible" gun control laws.

Yay! Another convert! lol, j/k...

The crazy thing is since I was young (15-19) I have always stated that the 2nd Amendment says what it says "...shall not be infringed." That means that there are no sensible laws that fit. Even my pro 2A friends think I am a bit out there, but I tell them that the founders were radicals, traitors and liberals!