Thread: Topeka Kansas Anti open Carry agenda

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Viper found this on the NRA site. Could the NRA be backing open carry on this one??? hmmm..

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5560On Tuesday, March 9, during a City Council work session, City attorney Kyle Smith and Police Chief Ron Miller proposed banning the open carrying of firearms in Topeka. In 2007, the city council repealed its ban on the open carry of firearms, so it’s unclear why these officials have now proposed reinstituting such an ordinance. Since then, there have been no instances of unlawfulness or violence regarding open carry. The claims and "what ifs" stated by the opponents are unfounded and not supported by any research or facts. They are simply using scare tactics to push more stringent gun restrictions on the citizens of Topeka.

Please contact your City Council member and urge him or her not to consider this anti-gun proposal.

Topeka City Council Members

Karen Hiller (Dist- 1)
    (785) 232-2917
    khiller@topeka.org

John Alcala (Dist- 2)
    (785) 233-7110
    jalcala@topeka.org

Sylvia Ortiz (Dist- 3)
    (785) 357-0717
    sortiz@topeka.org

Jack Woelfel (Dist- 4)
    (785) 215-3323
    jwoelfel@topeka.org

Larry Wolgast (Dist- 5)
    (785) 272-6896
    lwolgast@topeka.org

Deborah Swank (Dist- 6)
    (785) 233-1037
    djswank@cox.net

Bob Archer (Dist- 7)
    (785) 817-8157
    barcher@topeka.org

Jeff Preisner (Dist- 8)
    (785) 271-1959
    jpreisner@topeka.org

Deputy Mayor Richard Harmon (Dist- 9)
    (785) 271-6962
    rharmon@topeka.org

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    Viper found this on the NRA site. Could the NRA be backing open carry on this one??? hmmm..
    Wait, is the NRA generally Anti-OC?

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Well, they have been fairly neutral on the issue for the most part. But, they haven't exactly embraced OC

Post imported post

I don't know why the Chiefis making a big deal out this? Apparently, residents of Kansas who are licensed to carry concealed pistols are already exempt from any OC prohibitions, on foot and in vehicle.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    I don't know why the Chiefis making a big deal out this? Apparently, residents of Kansas who are licensed to carry concealed pistols are already exempt from any OC prohibitions, on foot and in vehicle.
    No, only in vehicles, at least that is what we are tracking. If the council exempts CHP holders from teh OC ban, then that would probably make even the chief happy.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    No, only in vehicles, at least that is what we are tracking. If the council exempts CHP holders from teh OC ban, then that would probably make even the chief happy.
    This is where I got the info (ordinance) thinking the exemption included on foot.

See Subsection (1) and (6)

http://www.my-dns.net/sec_5.88.010.pdf