• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Topeka Kansas Anti open Carry agenda

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Viper found this on the NRA site. Could the NRA be backing open carry on this one??? hmmm..

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5560On Tuesday, March 9, during a City Council work session, City attorney Kyle Smith and Police Chief Ron Miller proposed banning the open carrying of firearms in Topeka. In 2007, the city council repealed its ban on the open carry of firearms, so it’s unclear why these officials have now proposed reinstituting such an ordinance. Since then, there have been no instances of unlawfulness or violence regarding open carry. The claims and "what ifs" stated by the opponents are unfounded and not supported by any research or facts. They are simply using scare tactics to push more stringent gun restrictions on the citizens of Topeka.

Please contact your City Council member and urge him or her not to consider this anti-gun proposal.

Topeka City Council Members

Karen Hiller (Dist- 1)
(785) 232-2917
khiller@topeka.org

John Alcala (Dist- 2)
(785) 233-7110
jalcala@topeka.org

Sylvia Ortiz (Dist- 3)
(785) 357-0717
sortiz@topeka.org

Jack Woelfel (Dist- 4)
(785) 215-3323
jwoelfel@topeka.org

Larry Wolgast (Dist- 5)
(785) 272-6896
lwolgast@topeka.org

Deborah Swank (Dist- 6)
(785) 233-1037
djswank@cox.net

Bob Archer (Dist- 7)
(785) 817-8157
barcher@topeka.org

Jeff Preisner (Dist- 8)
(785) 271-1959
jpreisner@topeka.org

Deputy Mayor Richard Harmon (Dist- 9)
(785) 271-6962
rharmon@topeka.org

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I don't know why the Chiefis making a big deal out this? Apparently, residents of Kansas who are licensed to carry concealed pistols are already exempt from any OC prohibitions, on foot and in vehicle.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I don't know why the Chiefis making a big deal out this? Apparently, residents of Kansas who are licensed to carry concealed pistols are already exempt from any OC prohibitions, on foot and in vehicle.
No, only in vehicles, at least that is what we are tracking. If the council exempts CHP holders from teh OC ban, then that would probably make even the chief happy.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Mike wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
No, only in vehicles, at least that is what we are tracking. If the council exempts CHP holders from teh OC ban, then that would probably make even the chief happy.

This is where I got the info (ordinance) thinking the exemption included on foot.

See Subsection (1) and (6)

http://www.my-dns.net/sec_5.88.010.pdf