• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Unregistered" firearms

oofdah

imported post

Hey guys...

I'm having a hell of a time finding what the laws are regarding "unregistered" guns in Wisconsin, so I figured this would be a place to ask.

What exactly are the laws? Is there a place I can view them? What are the rules on possession and transfer? Is it legal to carry an unregistered firearm?

Your time is much appreciated.

hardballer

imported post

oofdah wrote:
Hey guys...

I'm having a hell of a time finding what the laws are regarding "unregistered" guns in Wisconsin, so I figured this would be a place to ask.

What exactly are the laws? Is there a place I can view them? What are the rules on possession and transfer? Is it legal to carry an unregistered firearm?

Your time is much appreciated.
Registration BAD! A precurser to confiscation. No... Really.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

oofdah wrote:
Hey guys...I'm having a hell of a time finding what the laws are regarding "unregistered" guns in Wisconsin, so I figured this would be a place to ask. What exactly are the laws? Is there a place I can view them? What are the rules on possession and transfer? Is it legal to carry an unregistered firearm?
Here is a link URL to all of the Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative (read DNR) Regulations

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html

apierce918

imported post

with FFL dealers having to hold on to pistol sale records... how is that really much different? sure, if you sell the gun the record is meaningless... but what about those of us that DONT sell them.

the only difference i see is that rather than the police being able to punch in your name and see your guns, they have to ask the BATFE and see if you bought some.

or am i wrong? (hopefully)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The 4473 is psuedo registration, more like traceablility really. After you fill it out, it's kept at the dealer for a certain number of years 10-20? When they find a gun and run the serial number they can see what dealer it's from. they then contact the dealer to see who he sold it to. Supposedly, no record from the background check is kept except for the firearm information and which dealer sold it.

At least in Wisconsin, we are free to make personal firearms sales so it's almost useless for them to keep the 4473's on file. "I sold it". "I lost it in a tragic boating accident".

The 4473 is however, how they know how many "crime guns" various FFL's sell throughout the state.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ever watch the movie "Red Dawn"? In that old movie the first thing the invading army did was go to the gun stores and get all the 4473 copies to see who in the town had purchased guns.

Firearms records you must keep if you are an FFL holder:

1) You must keep a separate "Bound Book" record of all firearms acquired and disposed of. This includes firearms received in pawn, curios and relics, and firearms received for overnight (or longer) repair. A bound book should either be permanently bound or an orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages. It must be maintained on the business premises.

a. Firearms are to be logged in when received and logged out as they are disposed of (478.125 (e)).

b. All licensees are required to keep their records of manufacture, importation, or other acquisition permanently for as long as they are in business, but disposition records may be disposed of 20 years from the date of transaction (27 CFR 478.129(d) and (e)).

2) You MUST prepare ATF Form 4473 - Firearms Transaction Record, covering the transfer of each firearm (except return of repaired firearms) to a non-licensed person, who does not qualify under the law enforcement exception. Because Form 4473 is one of the most important records that you will keep, you should read the instructions carefully and you should ensure that each form is fully completed.

a) Completed ATF Form 4473s must be kept for 20 years from the date of transaction, just as the disposition records described above.

b) ATF Form 4473s may be kept alphabetically (by name of purchaser), (chronologically by date of disposition), or (numerically by transaction serial number) (27 CFR 478.124(b)).

c) You must use ATF Form 4473 (Part I) for over-the-counter sales and use the green ATF Form 4473 (Part II) for non-over-the-counter sales (27 CFR 478.124).

Sale of Business or Going Out Of Business

1) Within 30 days after you sell or discontinue your firearms or ammunition business, you must give written notice of this change in status to the Chief, National Licensing Center (27 CFR 478.57).

2) If you sell or discontinue your firearms or ammunition business and are succeeded by a new licensee, your firearms dealer records should be marked to show this fact and shall be delivered to the successor (27 CFR 478.127).

3) You must deliver all of your firearms records within 30 days of going completely out of the firearms business or ammunition business (27 CFR 478.127) to the ATF Out-of-Business Record Center, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, West Virginia 25401 or any ATF office that serves the area where the business was located.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
The 4473 is psuedo registration, more like traceablility really. After you fill it out, it's kept at the dealer for a certain number of years 10-20? When they find a gun and run the serial number they can see what dealer it's from.
They can only see who the manufacturer sold it to. Then they must go to each purchaser in line after that and see IF there is a record. The first person who does not offer up who they sold it to is the end of the line. If you go to Gander and fill out a 4473, but 3 people before Gander sold it at a rummage sale and kept no record, if "they" find it at a crime scene, "they" have no idea that Gander transferred it to you or any way to find that out without going to each FFL in the area and auditing every single record. That simply does not happen. If it happened in another city than where you purchased it, the chances are even less than zero of "them" finding out...

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A few years ago a friend of mine in Brownsville, Nebraska (population 148) was visited by the BATFE to "inspect" his 4473's and "Bound Book". Why? A crazy had gone and shot a bunch of people in a few of the towns near Brownsville (don't remember how many but a lot) and the BATFE were trying to determine "where" he got his gun from. My friend is a FFL dealer in that small town. Anyway, they did not match the gun used in the crime to his FFL and I don't think they ever did. That would not be good having your FFL traced to a gun used in a crime.

apierce918

imported post

the only difference i see is if the state requires it (like michigan does for handguns, and is where im from originally) private sales need to have a card sent to the state police that has the updated information on who's hands it left, and who's hands it is in