Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Starbucks

Post imported post

Hollowpoint38 and I are going to be sippin' some overpriced bean-juice at Noon this Sunday. Starbucks at Five Points South in Birmingham. Come on out and say hey, OC or not.

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
    But have his weapons to hand:
    He knows not when he may need a spear,
    Or what menace meet on the road.

- Odin
    The Havamal

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama

Post imported post

((Deleted))
    Last edited by Hollowpoint38; 08-08-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Post imported post

Tim and I just returned from Starbucks in Birmingham, and we had a good meeting. We both OC'ed, got coffee and sat around talking open carry stuff for about an hour and a half, inside the store and out. Had no negative encounters, and a Birmingham Police Officer actually walked right by us into the store, got coffee, and then left without a word. He probably didn't notice we were carrying, but ...maybe he did. We met a very nice couple down from Canada, and they were gun owners too. We lamented their recent long gun registry problems, and I suggested they visit Hoover Tactical Firearms while in town.

TOTAL NON-ISSUE.

Good times.

I'm thinking of making this a weekly thing. Starbucks Sundays anyone?

- Odin
    The Havamal

Post imported post

It can't be too big though, as I don't want to cause crowding problems for Starbucks, but maybe 3-7 people would be about right.

Just reply if you are interested.

In case you didn't catch that, we OC'ED in downtown Birmingham, and nothing was said. So it is relatively safe from harrassment I think, especially if any of you want to come and CC with us.

We need more face to face interaction. Time to get out from behind the keyboards ya'll!

- Odin
    The Havamal

Post imported post

Yeah, that was interesting. I never even saw the officer which was surprising to me as I usually am very aware of my surroundings.

We didn't have any problems and I think a few people more people would be nice on the weekends. I agree we don't need to overcrowd Starbucks but a few people out exercising rights and enjoying conversation sounds great. I'll sure be there next weekend if anyone wants to join.

I think a few people every weekend should OC to different cities or areas instead of the same place every time. You know, keep it fresh.

Post imported post

Good show, gents.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Post imported post

From the home of Starbucks, I say.....Great Job! Enjoy some of us here in the Seattle Area.

Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Do I see doughnuts? Now I want one! Speaking of... does Krispy Kreme allow Open Carry?

I could do a banana dance for a doughnut while OCing. :celebrate

Post imported post

If anyone wants to try out OC'ing in a group, Tim and I will once again be having some Starbucks on Sunday at noon. That's the Five Points South Starbucks in Birmingham at 12 noon this Sunday. We will be open carrying and we need to get some pictures this time to share with our friends up there in Seattle!

This is now a weekly thing, so come on out for Starbucks Sundays. Also, I got a voice recorder today so we will be covered on audio.

This is NOT a demonstration. Just some guys havin a cup of joe.

- Odin
    The Havamal

Post imported post

Shouldn't we start a new post? I don't know if people will see this. LOL Maybe they will. SHA SHA!

Post imported post

Great job guys...I hate I missed it.

For anyone reading this that is in the Montgomery/Millbrook/Wetumpka/Prattville area that would like to meet up and get some Starbuck's please PM me. I'd like to start a group of our own down here in the Monkeytown area.

Shaun

Post imported post

I sent you two PMs about meeting you guys at Starbucks but also wanted to post this here. I sent you both ( Jonathon and Tim ) my contact info if you could get in touch that would be awesome thank you.

Post imported post

Hollowpoint38, David S., and myself had a good OC meetup today at Starbucks Sundays. Anybody on here from the Bham area is welcome, OC/CC/No C. Every Sunday at the 5 Points South Starbucks. High Noon.

Hey Dothan crew, we should hook up sometime for some OC'in. How's Fridays?

- Odin
    The Havamal

Post imported post

Oh the irony of the city of Birmingham....

The jail that held Martin Luther King was in Southside, around Five Points if I'm not mistaken. And last year Langford wouldn't allow the Pride People to have a march in Five Points... now we're drinking coffee, supporting the 2nd... in the same place....

Civil rights and Birmingham seem to go together like Interstate 65 and Highway 31.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Post imported post

I work every other Friday, but it sounds great.

Post imported post

Had twofresh facesat Starbucks Sundays today, Kirbinator and McDonalk. Welcome, guys.

As usual, OC'ing was not an issue, and good times were had by all.

If you're in the Bham area, come on by, OC/CC/No-C. Sundays at Noon. 5 Points South Starbucks.

- Odin
    The Havamal

Post imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
    Had twofresh facesat Starbucks Sundays today, Kirbinator and McDonalk. Welcome, guys.

As usual, OC'ing was not an issue, and good times were had by all.

If you're in the Bham area, come on by, OC/CC/No-C. Sundays at Noon. 5 Points South Starbucks.
    Yeah, it sucks I couldn't be there, I had a tube in my lung for 15 straight hours. I'll be there next Sunday and hop to see a few new peeps there! We're growing strong!

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

Are you home already? You're a freaking workhorse! Glad to see you're feeling better, though.

Thanks again for all that you did to make the first (and certainly not last) OC blood drive a success! It wouldn't have happened without you.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
    Are you home already? You're a freaking workhorse! Glad to see you're feeling better, though.

Thanks again for all that you did to make the first (and certainly not last) OC blood drive a success! It wouldn't have happened without you.
    Thank you! I appreciate it. I'm home, but not supposed to move for 30 days. I got 4 CCs of morphine (after my surgery) every 4 hours and STILL felt all the pain. It just calmed me down. I also got a 2ND degree sun burn covering my head from the blood drive. I can barely talk, breathe, move, etc. It sucks. No Open Carry for a little while. I'll be stuck in the house!

Anyway, like Jonathon said, we need to go ahead and plan our next get together.

Post imported post

hey. what do you think of this? Is this a real bill? DO I need to spread the link around?

http://www.nagr.org/hr45_lp_survey1.aspx?pid=hr5k

Post imported post

Glad to see your safe and home.

Post imported post

David S. wrote:
    Glad to see your safe and home.
    Thanks for calling 911 and securing my weapon for me. I appreciate it! So how did the rest of your day go?

Post imported post

Well, I haven't read the whole thing yet, but since section 101 says:
    • Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
    • `(aa) Firearm Licensing Requirement-
      • `(1) IN GENERAL- It shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to possess a qualifying firearm on or after the applicable date, unless that person has been issued a firearm license--
    `(A) under title I of Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009... [this bill]

Yeah, it looks like this real bill could be a real problem. The entire bill seems designed to be an infringement on the right to keep firearms.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    hey. what do you think of this? Is this a real bill? DO I need to spread the link around?

http://www.nagr.org/hr45_lp_survey1.aspx?pid=hr5k
    I'm pretty sure this thing has been provien to be a hoax. It has been passed around the internet 2-3x already!

Post imported post

Edited for legibility.

Monkeytown wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this thing has been provien to be a hoax. It has been passed around the internet 2-3x already!
    It's on the Thomas database at the LoC website.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:

H.R.45
    Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)

See the part of section 101 I posted earlier. Everyone who isn't a licensed dealer/manufacturer must get a license to possess a 'qualified firearm' which has been amended to include:
      • `(36) The term `qualifying firearm'--
        • `(A) means--
          • `(i) any handgun; or
          • `(ii) any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device; and
        • `(B) does not include any antique.'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast