• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham Starbucks

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Well, I haven't read the whole thing yet, but since section 101 says:
  • Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
  • `(aa) Firearm Licensing Requirement-
    • `(1) IN GENERAL- It shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to possess a qualifying firearm on or after the applicable date, unless that person has been issued a firearm license--
`(A) under title I of Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009... [this bill]

Yeah, it looks like this real bill could be a real problem. The entire bill seems designed to be an infringement on the right to keep firearms.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Edited for legibility.

Monkeytown wrote:
I'm pretty sure this thing has been provien to be a hoax. It has been passed around the internet 2-3x already!
It's on the Thomas database at the LoC website.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:

[align=center] H.R.45
Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)

[/align] See the part of section 101 I posted earlier. Everyone who isn't a licensed dealer/manufacturer must get a license to possess a 'qualified firearm' which has been amended to include:
    • `(36) The term `qualifying firearm'--
      • `(A) means--
        • `(i) any handgun; or
        • `(ii) any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device; and
      • `(B) does not include any antique.'.

eye95

imported post

The question is, what is the progress of the bill? It was proposed back in Jan '09. It is likely hung up somewhere, dying a natural death. The GA congressman may be using its existence as a fundraising tool.

We need to be vigilant, though. We wouldn't want this to sneak through.

Monkeytown

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Edited for legibility.

Monkeytown wrote:
I'm pretty sure this thing has been provien to be a hoax. It has been passed around the internet 2-3x already!
It's on the Thomas database at the LoC website.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:

[align=center]H.R.45
Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)

[/align]See the part of section 101 I posted earlier. Everyone who isn't a licensed dealer/manufacturer must get a license to possess a 'qualified firearm' which has been amended to include:
    • `(36) The term `qualifying firearm'--
      • `(A) means--
        • `(i) any handgun; or
        • `(ii) any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device; and
      • `(B) does not include any antique.'.
I was mistaken, I was referring to HR 2999, which was proved to be a hoax. According to NRA-ILA this thing has no co-sponsors and they will be keeping an eye on it.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

So how do we stop this bill? Emails and phone calls? We do not need the government telling us who is "qualified" to own a gun. It's just another way to take away our rights. If we don't destroy all traces of this bill, we just might see it being passed hidden in some other bill.

We can not allow any bill like this pass.

Monkeytown

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
So how do we stop this bill? Emails and phone calls? We do not need the government telling us who is "qualified" to own a gun. It's just another way to take away our rights. If we don't destroy all traces of this bill, we just might see it being passed hidden in some other bill.

We can not allow any bill like this pass.

I'd say both phone call and e-mail to your Representative. I'm about to send Bobby Bright an e-mail letting him know how I feel about this bill.

MT

eye95

imported post

Of course it is real. However, it was proposed in January of last year. Something is holding it up. Unless we know that it is moving along, we are freaking unnecessarily.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Of course it is real. However, it was proposed in January of last year. Something is holding it up. Unless we know that it is moving along, we are freaking unnecessarily.
I'm not freaking at all. I keep a close eye on those bills. That isn't the only one either. None have hardly any cosponsors and more than likely won't see even a pass to committee at all. My thoughts are because of gun/ammo sales, it's quite obvious that would be a stupid vote for them.

eye95

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
I didn't know it was that old. I received the link info in my email. If it's dead, who/why are they still sending it?
I suspect that somewhere in the email you are being asked for money. Or, there is a link to a site that will ask you for money.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
I didn't know it was that old. I received the link info in my email. If it's dead, who/why are they still sending it?
I suspect that somewhere in the email you are being asked for money. Or, there is a link to a site that will ask you for money.
Or fear mongering.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Yes there is. I wouldn't send them money anyway. The website says it "needs money to support our rights in Washington" and "we need the money to match the Brady Campaign's high financing". I figured that might be a scam or something but if the bill was real..... :question:

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Yes there is. I wouldn't send them money anyway. The website says it "needs money to support our rights in Washington" and "we need the money to match the Brady Campaign's high financing". I figured that might be a scam or something but if the bill was real..... :question:
That should have been a red flag right there! Do you have any idea how much more money the NRA has than the Brady campaign? HAHA. I would prefer that the NRA take notes from GOA though.