• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Oklahoman - Open carry reform's last shot is in state Senate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://newsok.com/open-carry-bill-didnt-load-sufficient-votes-in-oklahoma-house/article/3445821

SNIP

Open-carry bill didn’t load sufficient votes in Oklahoma House

BY MICHAEL MCNUTT | Oklahoman
Published: March 12, 2010

A measure that would allow those with permits to carry concealed weapons to also carry them out in the open drew blanks Thursday as the proposal failed to get enough votes to be considered.

. . .

Rep. Rex Duncan still was able to get a measure dealing with guns passed, and he hopes an open-carry provision can be included as it works its way through the Senate.

The same proposal failed to advance a day earlier as lawmakers tried to keep measures alive. Thursday was the last day for measures in the House and Senate to pass from their chamber of origin.
Various legislative maneuvers — including a rare quorum call during a vote and the introduction of various weapons-related amendments, consumed nearly two hours.
Duncan, R-Sand Springs, also proposed a substitute to his bill that would allow appellate court judges and legislators to carry guns in the state Capitol. He eventually withdrew the measure and asked that members consider his original bill, House Bill 3354.
HB 3354 would prevent the private information of concealed-carry permit holders from being released to the public if the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation were to receive an open-records request regarding those files. It passed 81-2 and now goes to the Senate.
Duncan said he would work with the measure’s co-author, Sen. Anthony Sykes, R-Moore, on the open-carry proposal.
"I plan to work with Senator Sykes to achieve the goal of allowing concealed-carry permit holders to carry openly,” Duncan said.
House members voted 60-26 to suspend the rules to allow the open-carry amendment to be heard. The measure needed 68 votes to reach the floor.
"Thanks to a partial Democratic caucus walkout and their flat refusal to consider an amendment, law-abiding Oklahomans with a concealed-carry permit were denied the opportunity to exercise their rights openly,” Duncan said. "However, this issue will not go away just because some lawmakers choose to duck and cover instead of voting.”
A majority of Democrats either opposed the motion or were not in the chamber when the vote was taken. Three Democrats, Reps. R.C. Pruett of Antlers, Eric Porter of Tulsa and Terry Harrison of McAlester, voted for it.

bigbeck

imported post

As much as I am pleased that there is a chance for concealed permit holders to have open carry rights some day, I fear what the outcome of this may mean.

Im thinking that once the concealed permit owners have open carry, the state will absolutely call the the issue closed and not move forward with a statewide open carry bill for even those who do not have permits.

cato

imported post

bigbeck wrote:
As much as I am pleased that there is a chance for concealed permit holders to have open carry rights some day, I fear what the outcome of this may mean.

Im thinking that once the concealed permit owners have open carry, the state will absolutely call the the issue closed and not move forward with a statewide open carry bill for even those who do not have permits.

baby steps, take what you can get...

bigbeck

imported post

Im afraid that baby steps will result in no further action after permit carriers get okayed. Which should be ok for me since I have a permit, but doesnt seem right.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

oh ok. They need to UN-ban OC. What are the CC laws there?

I may be mistaken, but isn't there a Supreme Court Ruling that said something along the lines of: "CC is a privilege not a right" ?

I can't remember where I heard that, but if that is a SC ruling, would that not make Open Carry a right? A right that cannot be banned unless they unlicensed CC or make it 100% attainable to proper candidates.

I may be wrong. Anyone know?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bigbeck wrote:

I think this si the fate of all states who have allowed it to get 'that bad.' They'll never get the unfettered Right back, but only a perverted privilege.

firemed11

imported post

I hope they get this passed many other states already have. I feel as though I already have a permit to carry one concealed so why cant I carry it out in the open. Many say it makes them uncomfortable to see a gun but in my opinion it should make you feel safer. The people who are going to do wrong wont be as apt to try something if they see 10 people standing there with a pistol on their hip.

bmartinxd45

imported post

I lived in Enid OK for 17 years, I feel that Oklahoma has to move forward and accept that the state is not "OK" as the licence plates pronounce. Times have changed fromwhen everybody would wave to everyone as they drove by on the street. It is worse in OKC now than it was in 1991 when I first moved to the state. Gang violence, and shootings as well assaults proliferate the nightly news. The good law abiding citizens should absolutly be able to excersize there right to carry either openly or concealed.They desire to protect oneself and loved ones as well as property is a natural human emotion. Oklahoma should give the right to self protection back to the citizens.