• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbuck's

Dreamer

imported post

Actually the commonly-held idea that hippies (and by that I mean REAL hippies, the ones that live in the woods, grow their own food, and make their own clothes in places like western NC) don't like firearms is false. Most of those "real" hippies own plenty of guns--they use them for defense, hunting and sporting, and are generally a rather "freedom loving" crowd that don't much cotton to the Government telling them what to do...

It's the "suburban hippies"--those folks who purchase their tie-dyed t-shirts at the mall, and pay $100 for a pair of jeans that are artfully "pre-stressed" at some boutique and drive fully-restored VW Combi's with a DVD player and PS-3 inside that are anti-gun...

Personally, I find nothing more aesthetically offensive that a poseur...

Unfortunately, the Ashville area has become a haven for Yankee carpetbagging leftists who think that things like the 1A, 2A, 4A and 10A are troublesome nuisances that get in the way of enacting their Utopian New World Order, and there are pockets of MD-like sentiment here and there.

Luckily though, the fine citizens of NC are pretty vocal when it comes to this sort of foolishness, and are keeping this creeping encroachment at bay. Thank goodness we have State Preemption...

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! AAAATENTION!

THIS IS A WARNING! I REPEAT, THIS IS A WARNING!

Carpetbagging Leftist Hippy Anti-Gunners... HALT!

We don't cotton to your kind around here...

chiefjason

imported post

Dreamer, it's even worse. Suburban college hippies. All the ideological agenda and mommy and daddy's money to pay for it. But the locals have them surrounded. :lol:

Resto Guy

imported post

How can you visually I.D. one of those Asheville hippies? I was there for a few days last year and I don't know if I encountered any. No one resembled the traditional hippie appearance that I'm familiar with. Do they work undercover?

The only person I saw that looked unusual was the Elvis impersonator eating at TGIF around the corner from Biltmore Estate..

Dreamer

imported post

Tek,

We should have signs with that wording printed up, and placed at the northern border on all incoming roads... :shock:

Ratt402

imported post

I have a thought about the recent events of Starbucks complying with state laws even though a good portion of their customers have probably fainted at this. Could it be a move on Starbucks part to keep their stores safer? If they are making the news about all of this (which is good for business as their's was dropping fast) that they have no problems with people who OC in their stores, then who would be thinking about robbing them? It may be they are one of the few to finally see the benefits of honest citizens who do carry.

Juuuust a thought!

Semper Fi!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps, however, they may literally just not want to be a part of the debate and they may also realize that a large part of their customer base are pro-gun/pro-carry and just because they allow it via state laws, they probably know the vast majority of people will still come to their stores despite the brady bunch attempt to boycott them. Boycotting Starbucks is not right and trying to force them via petition is foolish. It is not like this company is denying black folk, or white folk for that matter, from entering their stores. Allowing the carry of firearms into a store if state laws allow is not some greatly immoral business practice, as were Jim Crow style laws and prohibiions of the old South and Sundown laws across the country. The Brady Campaign's strategy is flawed as it is demonizing something that is exactly the opposite and most gun crime or violence committed in any place is by that of criminals who wish to take advantage of those that are unable to defend themselves and it is committed by those that are brazen enough to ignore any law, prohibition or presence of a person carrying a weapon, law enforcement or private citizen (as evidenced by the shooting of four officers at the coffee house in Washington state).

The truth of the matter is, Starbucks is not stupid and they need not take an official side. If the law allows it, why deny it. They're in the business of making money, and right now, to them, there is no harm to their business in allowing firearms to be carried on their premises.

The Brady Campaign has shown their truth and what they really stand for. They say, Sensible Gun Laws Save Lives. Instead, what they are attempting to do, is state that people that carry guns for protection commit crimes... Poppycock. They say that our guns will be taken from us and used against us and others... Poppycock, that happens more to police than anyone, we're not trying to arrest criminals, we're trying to avoid them. They say we will shoot each other over parking spots... foolishness, criminals want to shoot others over parking spots, law abiding citizens defend themselves against criminals who try to shoot over a parking spot.

Sensible guns laws? No. The Brady Campaign wants to push firearms into submission. They want them all gone. They would rather take the highly unlikely chance that their efforts will make them safer and this country safer. They want that control. They'll never be safe. One of the most important dynamics of society that proves fatal to ignore, is the criminal element. It will always exist and it will find ways of overcoming law enforcement and citizens. Yes, this is a cliche now, but we can't carry police officers in our pockets, on our backs, in our cars, and certainly not stored at home.

When the time comes, that criminals bust down your door while you're home, takes your car at an intersection, mugs you on the street, rapes you, beats you, walks into work shooting, what the hell are you going to do when you have no appropriately reliable means of self-defense? That is my question to Brady Campaign.

Some say, carrying firearms is a solution to a problem that does not exist, they say if someone wants to rob you or burglarize your home, let them take it. Tell that to the people that did not resist and ended up dead. These anti-gun folk may think the problem of crime is low and does not exist. I think that a large part of that has to do with the fact that there are people brave enough to practice their freedoms and rights and defend themselves, often leaving the criminals injured or dead and not the law-abiding citizen.

All gun control will do is lead to cops, soldiers, and criminals being the only ones with guns. The other criminals will just resort to blunt objects, sharp objects, explosives, vehicles, and other creative means to kill the common citizen. I don't want to die by the hands of any human being through any means, and if carrying a firearm will help me to live longer, then so be it. And even if criminals didn't have guns, I don't intend on letting them get close enough to use any other means to end me.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
~Benjamin Franklin

To Hell With Not Being Armed

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Tekshogun, let me add to your above post something I saw on a sweatshirt at the last Greensboro Gun & Knife Show:

"Would you rather explain to a judge how you were beaten, raped & robbed, or why you shot the MF'er [edited] between the eyes?"

ABNinfantryman

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
It's the "suburban hippies"--those folks who purchase their tie-dyed t-shirts at the mall, and pay $100 for a pair of jeans that are artfully "pre-stressed" at some boutique and drive fully-restored VW Combi's with a DVD player and PS-3 inside that are anti-gun...

Personally, I find nothing more aesthetically offensive that a poseur...
I've always known those to be "Yuppies," the ones who sold out the hippy movement of simpler living and peace to go out and horde as many material possessions as possible to give meaning to their pitiful shallow lives.

AbNo

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Dreamer, it's even worse. Suburban college hippies. All the ideological agenda and mommy and daddy's money to pay for it. But the locals have them surrounded. :lol:
Man, I'm glad we don't have that crap at my college.

Hell, we have CC at my college. :)

SMW

imported post

AbNo wrote:
chiefjason wrote:
Man, I'm glad we don't have that crap at my college.

Hell, we have CC at my college. :)

You are lucky to have CC at your school. Here at NCSU weapons are illegal on campus, which sucks.

jerz_subbie

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Illegal, or banned by school policy?
Both. Educational facilities are named as being a prohibited place for possession of firearms including CHP holders. Most schools I've been to or driven past have signs stating that weapons (usually a picture of a pistol & knife) are prohibited.