Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Going to start OCing

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Ok folks, I live in Waupun and now that the weather is improving I typically walk my dogs 3-4 nights a week. I usually walk them at night after 9pm.

    I typically walk down our main street, so I will be away from any school zones and also away from the state prisons in our town.

    Once I get my new holster I am going to begin open carrying on these walks with my dogs.

    My questions are as follows:

    - If questioned by police, should I talk?

    - Does the gun have to be on the waist? My new holster is for the waist, however I have a thigh holster also that I use while at the range and with certain clothes I think it is more comfortable than a standard hip holster.

    -Although I will be away from the state prisons on my walksin Waupun, I assume walking past them on the sidewalk is ok? (If you are familiar with Waupun, Waupun Correctional Institute is in the middle of the city with public sidewalks all the way around it.



    I think that is it for now!!



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ShaunKranish from ICarry.org, ,
    Posts
    243

    Post imported post

    Welcome to open carry!! You've come to the right place to ask questions.

    There are many different approaches to dealing with police officers. Not talking at all is probably legal (I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice obviously), but it might also get you into more trouble. But that's your choice. I might personally ask the officer to keep walking with me so he doesn't interfere with my business/schedule. We can walk and talk if he's interested. Or you can stop and talk to him.

    Voice recorders are good

    You can always let the police office know that you'll be open carrying on a regular basis and do not wish to be troubled about it. Depending on what you want, you could tell them that you don't mind talking to officers so long as they don't interfere with your business.

    Some ideas.

    As far as the prison - someone else should answer this. I'm not aware of any prohibitions or "prison zones" ??

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the forum and the world of OC.

    I encourage you to read this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

    Thigh holsters are FINE! There are only five restricted places (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones). The last (School Zones) is your biggest concern.

    As for talking to LEO, my advice (not legal) is this. If you feel comfortable talking with them, then do so. The minute there conversation makes you nervous, tell them you would prefer not to talk to them. If they continue after that point, ****.

    LEO knows OC is 100% legal, and after the Racine Judgment, ALL Wisconsin LEO should be well aware of the consequences to harassing the citizens.

    Read up, Load up, Holster up, and ....

    Carry On!

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    SAK wrote:
    Welcome to open carry!! You've come to the right place to ask questions.

    There are many different approaches to dealing with police officers. Not talking at all is probably legal (I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice obviously), but it might also get you into more trouble. But that's your choice. I might personally ask the officer to keep walking with me so he doesn't interfere with my business/schedule. We can walk and talk if he's interested. Or you can stop and talk to him.

    Voice recorders are good

    You can always let the police office know that you'll be open carrying on a regular basis and do not wish to be troubled about it. Depending on what you want, you could tell them that you don't mind talking to officers so long as they don't interfere with your business.

    Some ideas.

    As far as the prison - someone else should answer this. I'm not aware of any prohibitions or "prison zones" ??
    as long as your not on prison property, your good. Welcome to the forum !!!
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  5. #5
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187

    Post imported post

    pit_viper wrote:
    - If questioned by police, should I talk?


    bnhcomputing wrote:
    As for talking to LEO, my advice (not legal) is this. If you feel comfortable talking with them, then do so. The minute there conversation makes you nervous, tell them you would prefer not to talk to them. If they continue after that point, ****.
    I agree with bnh. If you are comfortable with a consensual conversation, it gives you the opportunity to be an ambassador. But if you are uncomfortable with the tone of the line of questioning. ****.

  6. #6
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    Welcome to open carry. You are making two good decisions. 1 finding out everything about the law you can, and don't expect the police to know any more than you do. Do everything possible to know the law. 2 carry your side arm. Don't let strangers, the police or anybody else make you feel like a criminal. You are doing the right thing. Carry on my friend.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    1st and foremost,

    2nd, I'm going to have to agree with Hubert here and say use the link provided, it covers more than any of your questions.

    and 3rd, go ahead with that thigh Holster man, I carry my .45 in a Blackhawk tactical wherever I go and honestly, itis more comfortable than a hip holster.

    Other than that man,Carry on and keep an eye out for OC events, i'm sure there's going to be tons this year!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the forum.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fond du Lac, USA
    Posts
    141

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Thanks all, I will be sure to post updates once I begin. I have a contact on the police department in town so I am waiting to here from him as to what their response is as I have not seen anybody in Waupun OCing as of yet, but I would like to start a trend

  11. #11
    Regular Member hardballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    Posts
    925

    Post imported post

    Landose_theghost wrote:
    1st and foremost,

    2nd, I'm going to have to agree with Hubert here and say use the link provided, it covers more than any of your questions.

    and 3rd, go ahead with that thigh Holster man, I carry my .45 in a Blackhawk tactical wherever I go and honestly, itis more comfortable than a hip holster.

    Other than that man,Carry on and keep an eye out for OC events, i'm sure there's going to be tons this year!
    +1) I second that. I carry using a belt slide holster but I say, carry the way you feel comfortable. Lots of options. How you carry isn't nearly as important as the fact that you do carry.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

    http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •