• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to start OCing

pit_viper

imported post

Ok folks, I live in Waupun and now that the weather is improving I typically walk my dogs 3-4 nights a week. I usually walk them at night after 9pm.

I typically walk down our main street, so I will be away from any school zones and also away from the state prisons in our town.

Once I get my new holster I am going to begin open carrying on these walks with my dogs.

My questions are as follows:

- If questioned by police, should I talk?

- Does the gun have to be on the waist? My new holster is for the waist, however I have a thigh holster also that I use while at the range and with certain clothes I think it is more comfortable than a standard hip holster.

-Although I will be away from the state prisons on my walksin Waupun, I assume walking past them on the sidewalk is ok? (If you are familiar with Waupun, Waupun Correctional Institute is in the middle of the city with public sidewalks all the way around it.

I think that is it for now!!

SAK

imported post

Welcome to open carry!! You've come to the right place to ask questions.

There are many different approaches to dealing with police officers. Not talking at all is probably legal (I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice obviously), but it might also get you into more trouble. But that's your choice. I might personally ask the officer to keep walking with me so he doesn't interfere with my business/schedule. We can walk and talk if he's interested. Or you can stop and talk to him.

Voice recorders are good :)

You can always let the police office know that you'll be open carrying on a regular basis and do not wish to be troubled about it. Depending on what you want, you could tell them that you don't mind talking to officers so long as they don't interfere with your business.

Some ideas.

As far as the prison - someone else should answer this. I'm not aware of any prohibitions or "prison zones" ??

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to the forum and the world of OC.

I encourage you to read this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

Thigh holsters are FINE! There are only five restricted places (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones). The last (School Zones) is your biggest concern.

As for talking to LEO, my advice (not legal) is this. If you feel comfortable talking with them, then do so. The minute there conversation makes you nervous, tell them you would prefer not to talk to them. If they continue after that point, STFU.

LEO knows OC is 100% legal, and after the Racine Judgment, ALL Wisconsin LEO should be well aware of the consequences to harassing the citizens.

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and ....

Carry On!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SAK wrote:
Welcome to open carry!! You've come to the right place to ask questions.

There are many different approaches to dealing with police officers. Not talking at all is probably legal (I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice obviously), but it might also get you into more trouble. But that's your choice. I might personally ask the officer to keep walking with me so he doesn't interfere with my business/schedule. We can walk and talk if he's interested. Or you can stop and talk to him.

Voice recorders are good :)

You can always let the police office know that you'll be open carrying on a regular basis and do not wish to be troubled about it. Depending on what you want, you could tell them that you don't mind talking to officers so long as they don't interfere with your business.

Some ideas.

As far as the prison - someone else should answer this. I'm not aware of any prohibitions or "prison zones" ??
as long as your not on prison property, your good. Welcome to the forum !!!:)

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

pit_viper wrote:
- If questioned by police, should I talk?
bnhcomputing wrote:
As for talking to LEO, my advice (not legal) is this. If you feel comfortable talking with them, then do so. The minute there conversation makes you nervous, tell them you would prefer not to talk to them. If they continue after that point, STFU.
I agree with bnh. If you are comfortable with a consensual conversation, it gives you the opportunity to be an ambassador. But if you are uncomfortable with the tone of the line of questioning. STFU.

johnny amish

imported post

Welcome to open carry. You are making two good decisions. 1 finding out everything about the law you can, and don't expect the police to know any more than you do. Do everything possible to know the law. 2 carry your side arm. Don't let strangers, the police or anybody else make you feel like a criminal. You are doing the right thing. Carry on my friend.

Landose_theghost

imported post

1st and foremost,

2nd, I'm going to have to agree with Hubert here and say use the link provided, it covers more than any of your questions.

and 3rd, go ahead with that thigh Holster man, I carry my .45 in a Blackhawk tactical wherever I go and honestly, itis more comfortable than a hip holster.

Other than that man,Carry on and keep an eye out for OC events, i'm sure there's going to be tons this year!

pit_viper

imported post

Thanks all, I will be sure to post updates once I begin. I have a contact on the police department in town so I am waiting to here from him as to what their response is as I have not seen anybody in Waupun OCing as of yet, but I would like to start a trend :)

hardballer

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
1st and foremost,

2nd, I'm going to have to agree with Hubert here and say use the link provided, it covers more than any of your questions.

and 3rd, go ahead with that thigh Holster man, I carry my .45 in a Blackhawk tactical wherever I go and honestly, itis more comfortable than a hip holster.

Other than that man,Carry on and keep an eye out for OC events, i'm sure there's going to be tons this year!
+1) I second that. I carry using a belt slide holster but I say, carry the way you feel comfortable. Lots of options. How you carry isn't nearly as important as the fact that you do carry.