• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it permissible to record a conversation with an officer?

eye95

imported post

13A-11-30 defines eavesdropping. If one party to the conversation has knowledge of the recording, it is not eavesdropping.

13A-11-31 declares eavesdropping a crime.

Are there any other statutes we need to be aware of? I'd like to be able to start a recording if I am ever stopped for OC. But, I don't want to inject any perceived hostility by asking the officer if he minds if I record the goings-on.

aadvark

imported post

13A-11-30 defines Eavesdropping as interfereing with the Private Communication of others.

It can not be said, then, atleast in my opinion, that one can Eavesdrop one Himself.

If the Officer of Law interacts with you, in a non-Private Place, i.e. a Public Place, I would think that you would be within your Rights to Record that Conversation.

It is similiar to the Media, in essence.

As long as the News comes to Media, it is Legal.

Likewise, and in similiar fashion, as long as the Officer comes to you, presumably, it would be Legal as well.

I will look furhter into Alabama Code 1975, to see if I can locate any SunshineLawsthatpertain to moderntechnologies.

dixieborn

imported post

I agree! And as a personal habit... always bring a voice recorder with me when OC'ing. (In fact I keep it in my truck all the time and will turn it on at a traffic stop as well... you never know when you want to have something you hear recorded.)

The one conversation with LE I had while OC'ing, I really wish I had one on me then!

t33j

imported post

Yeah I read that the first time I hit the Wikipedia article. I was doing some CYA.