Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Holster stretching

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    Does anyone here havea good and easy way to stretch a holster. I ordered a holster for my Glock 31. When it came in the mail, I tried to insert the weapon into the holster. It went in but only up to the trigger guard which left the trigger completely exposed. I tried to force it and it racked the slide and loaded one into the tube without covering the trigger or trigger guard. Any suggestions



  2. #2
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    Suggestion 1: Don't ever put a loaded gun into a holster it has never been into before... especially a new holster

    Suggestion 2: It takes time for a holster to get used to the gun. Galco recommends holstering and unholstering many times (tens or hundreds of times) to work it in. Working the leather by pushing outwards from the inside with only your fingers is also recommended.

    Galco also mentions that simply holstering the gun and leaving it for a few days does next to nothing.

    All that was in the paperwork that came with my leather holster.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  3. #3
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    Assuming it's leather-

    What I would do is oil it up with boot oil if you have any, otherwise motor oil. Then wrap the gun with wax paper to make it even thicker, and force it in the holster. Leaving it holstered with nothing on it will indeed do nothing. However leaving it holstered while covered in a bunch of sheets of wax paper will force it to get bigger.

    When you push it in, don't push it by the frame. Push it by the slide.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  4. #4
    Regular Member goforlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    201

    Post imported post

    Do not just oil it up!

    Talk to the manufacture and ask what they recommend. They built the item, they should know what you need to do to make the holster and firearm fit better.


    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    Assuming it's leather-

    What I would do is oil it up with boot oil if you have any, otherwise motor oil. Then wrap the gun with wax paper to make it even thicker, and force it in the holster. Leaving it holstered with nothing on it will indeed do nothing. However leaving it holstered while covered in a bunch of sheets of wax paper will force it to get bigger.

    When you push it in, don't push it by the frame. Push it by the slide.
    Please do not use oil, particularly not motor oil. This would be very detrimental to the leather.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member shad0wfax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,067

    Post imported post

    gutshot gave some great advice up above in the boldface black.

    +1 to that idea. Just make sure you don't have any moisture in the plastic bags and that you don't have excessive oil on your frame/slide as that can sometimes degrade the bags and then get to the leather.

  7. #7
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    Don't stretch it at all or use oil.

    Put the gun in the holster. Heat the holster on all sides with a hair dryer on the hot setting. Get it good and toasty. Let cool. Repeat...probably three times or so. The leather with shrink and expand around the gun until it's perfect. Sometimes I put the gun on while warm (usually for a troublesome or very squeaky holster).

    If you don't do this, your body heat over time will cause the leather to expand and contract over time. The hair dryer just reduces the time to 20-30 minutes or so.

    I learned this trick from an old saddle and boot maker. I have never had to use the plastic bag technique since doing this.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    230therapy wrote:
    Don't stretch it at all or use oil.

    Put the gun in the holster. Heat the holster on all sides with a hair dryer on the hot setting. Get it good and toasty. Let cool. .....
    But do NOT use a hair dryer to remove moisture, or do the above to a wet leather holster.

    Care and Maintenance of Leather
    Do not submerge or saturate your leather product in water or any other liquid. Do not dry your leather product with heat from a hair dryer, oven, radiator, direct sunlight, etc.
    http://www.usgalco.com/QA.asp
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    230therapy wrote:
    Don't stretch it at all or use oil.

    Put the gun in the holster. Heat the holster on all sides with a hair dryer on the hot setting. Get it good and toasty. Let cool. .....
    But do NOT use a hair dryer to remove moisture, or do the above to a wet leather holster.


    Care and Maintenance of Leather
    Do not submerge or saturate your leather product in water or any other liquid. Do not dry your leather product with heat from a hair dryer, oven, radiator, direct sunlight, etc.
    http://www.usgalco.com/QA.asp
    Any job worth doing is worth doing properly - it just takes a little patience and very little skill in this case.

    I guess it depends on what value you place on your equipment/holster.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    I find it strange that one should have to stretch out a leather holster in the first place. If the holster's supposed to fit, say a Glock 19, then the pistol should slide nice and easy into the holsterright out of the box. My leatherholsters are made by El Paso Sadderly, Circle KB,and Bianchi and at no time did I have to stretch them.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    Huck wrote:
    I find it strange that one should have to stretch out a leather holster in the first place. If the holster's supposed to fit, say a Glock 19, then the pistol should slide nice and easy into the holsterright out of the box. My leatherholsters are made by El Paso Sadderly, Circle KB,and Bianchi and at no time did I have to stretch them.
    Maybe the OP ordered the wrong holster because, I agree with you.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    No they do need stretched, I just bought one from galco as well. If you stretch it the way they say too it works. I also keep practicing my draw which help too. Galco does sell a lubricant for the holster called Draw-EZ. It is like $10 and it wont soak into the leather or hurt the finish on your firearm.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    I will reinforce the comments to NOT USE OIL OR SADDLE SOAP etc. Oils or treatments will soften the leather to the point that the holster will collapse making insertion of the firearm difficult while wearing the holster. The reason for stiff holsters is so that the firearm "snaps" in to place and is held securely by the molded leather and will allow for 1 hand reinsertion of the firearm. The last leather holster I bought took 2 weeks to break in. I personally like a holster to be tight to the fit when new. In my experience, A tight holster will maintain it shape and hold its grip on the pistol for years.

    As far a motor oils go, they contain ingredients that will breakdown leather and destroy the stitching threads....works well in engines...but not as a leather lubricant.



    Are you sure you bought the correct holster?



    Steve
    Steve


    "Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

  14. #14
    Regular Member Damiansar-15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mercer Island, WA
    Posts
    197

    Post imported post

    Buy a well-fitted kydex holster by one of the top names, and don't mess with leather...A holster should fit properly out of the box and if you have to fit it, someone sold you an inferior product. That is like buying a new gun that can't shoot and you have to refit everything before it runs... Also, be careful of kydex makers, many will chew up your gun's finish if they are not made properly... I don't really care to have jewelry guns- I just don't like to have rust form from finish wear...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •