• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good chance that I'm moving to Colorado

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Hello all.

As you can see I currently live in Michigan, but there's a very good chance that in late June I will be moving to the CO Springs area (Anywhere but Denver really...)

During the time it takes to acquire a Concealed Carry Permit after I get a CO DL, is there a grace period if you have an out of state permit? I have already taken a certified concealed carry course here in Michigan but do I need to take a new one in Colorado or is my current certification valid? Any links to legislation would be helpful and appreciated. :)

Also, a little off topic but it's likely that I will be moving to Manitou Springs. I have limited income and am looking for the most affordable place to live that isn't a crime infested slum. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Diocoles

imported post

Your best source for legal information and requirements for CCW or open carry in Colorado is the statutes.

Don't let someone say, if this or if that. Look it up, read it and if you need a translation, ask a lawyer. You can get a lot of good opinions here, but go with your own common sense after reading all the statutes.

The statutes are here along with lots more info:

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

Concealed weapons statutes:

Weapons statutes:

Basic "BASIC" rules for Coloradoare you needa permit to carry concealed.

You don't need a permit to open carry inColorado except:Don't open carry in Denver county or City, pretty much the same thing.

Check the statutes for requirements about long guns.

Gov buildings and suchtypical placesare off limits, again, read the statutes.

You can carry in your car concealed or open without a permit no matter where in the state. Exception are long guns, see statutes.

DocNTexas

imported post

Diocoles wrote:
Your best source for legal information and requirements for CCW or open carry in Colorado is the statutes.

Don't let someone say, if this or if that. Look it up, read it and if you need a translation, ask a lawyer. You can get a lot of good opinions here, but go with your own common sense after reading all the statutes.

Weapons statutes:

You don't need a permit to open carry inColorado except:Don't open carry in Denver county or City, pretty much the same thing.

You can carry in your car concealed or open without a permit no matter where in the state. Exception are long guns, see statutes.

+1 , especially to the ask a lawyer part.

While reading the statutes is good, remember that the interpretation and application of statutes can changewith subsequent court decisions, thus, making the simple interpretation of the statute harder. That is where the lawyers come in.

Doc

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Diocoles wrote:

Weapons statutes:

Thank you for the information. However, your links are all going to the exact same destination. I was able to locate most of what I was looking for so far. I'm sure I'll locate the rest.

Anyone ever go hiking with a long arm slung over their shoulder? How well would that go over?

cscitney87

imported post

I came from Michigan. Moved from Detroit to Denver Metro and the surrounding mountain areas. I know exactly what you'll be going through..

And yeah it's fine to go hiking with your gun slung over your shoulder. Once you get here you'll see the HUGE mountains in the distance and realize you can go hiking for weeks at a time without running into a single trace of humanity- if you so choose.

Of course you can't go "hiking" in a city park with your rifle slung over your shoulder and expect to be welcomed.

Yooper

imported post

He'll soon miss the water and fall colors like I did and move back.

One thing you'll like about CO, is that you can CC/OC in your car with no permit.

If you move there, one word of advice from me.....AVOID I-70 from Denver to Glenwood Canyon like the plague on Fridays and Sundays. The only 2 exceptions are in the spring, after the ski hills close, but before the camp grounds open, and in the fall, after the yellow leaves (that's all there is for fall colors) come down, but before the ski hills open. Every other time of year, everybody and their brother heads up I-70 like a herd of sheep (sheeple?) to the mountains.

Anubis

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
I have already taken a certified concealed carry course here in Michigan but do I need to take a new one in Colorado or is my current certification valid?

Your training certificate should be accepted if it is less than 10 years old.

I visit and carry frequently in Michigan. Major differences between Michigan and Colorado CC:

Notifying contacting LEO if carrying is required in MI, not required in CO. (Please, let's avoid the "you should always notify" debate in this thread.)

The off-limits-to-CC list is long in MI, short in CO: the only places specifically listedare schools K-12, also any building that has security at all entrances and sends all entrants through a metal detector. Note that CC in any alcohol-serving venue is unrestricted in CO, unlike MI; carrying while inebriated is of courseillegal.

I find these pages useful:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/

Gunslinger

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Hello all.

As you can see I currently live in Michigan, but there's a very good chance that in late June I will be moving to the CO Springs area (Anywhere but Denver really...)

During the time it takes to acquire a Concealed Carry Permit after I get a CO DL, is there a grace period if you have an out of state permit? I have already taken a certified concealed carry course here in Michigan but do I need to take a new one in Colorado or is my current certification valid? Any links to legislation would be helpful and appreciated. :)

Also, a little off topic but it's likely that I will be moving to Manitou Springs. I have limited income and am looking for the most affordable place to live that isn't a crime infested slum. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.
The Springs is the most gun friendly place I've ever lived--and that includes NH, VA and TX. Your course may or may not be good in CO. There are listings of which are available. If you have a MI permit, you're fine until you become a resident. Manitou has expensive areas, none are really all that cheap, but COS has nice neighborhoods in the north and northeastern parts of the city, and if you stay away from the SE--Security and certain central areas--around Murray, there are few places to live that crime is a problem. The surrounding areas out to Peyton/Calhan are safe, not a bad commute and reasonably priced, as well. You'll love the COS area.

ZackL

imported post

^ what he said about Peyton/Calhan. Not to mention if you move out east and into a rental with some acreage (40 acre rentals aren't too uncommon) you can shoot whenever you want :celebrate... Anyway, let us know what happens.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Hello all.

Thank you in advance.
Your concealed carry class certificate is good for 10 years here in Colorado. Technically, you could save it and use that SAME certification when your license expires in 5 years. I used a class I had taken 2 years prior in Texas for my certification here. Saved me $75-125 depending on where you go. Just make sure you do all the research yourself on the gun laws. The sheriff's office will also give you a little pamphlet saying where you can and cannot carry.

Just do like others and open carry in the meantime until you get your permit. The sheriff here in the Springs is very fast about processing. My Colorado permit took about 3 weeks from application to receiving in the mail. Compare that to 3 months for a Texas permit.

OCinColorado

imported post

Manitou is HIGH DOLLAR for what you get. Nice quaint town, but very Liberal and full of "hippies". There are other areas in the Colorado Springs area that would suite you well.

cscitney87

imported post

Whoa Ian! 3 Weeks? I'm really, really, really jealous! I'm looking at a full 90 day wait here in Jefferson County. At this point I would pay twice as much for twice as quick.

$$$$$$$$$$

Kingfish

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
I have gone hiking in the national forests with my rifle and so far, no problem! I would not suggest it in any of the state parks though.
Why is that? I thought state parks were fine to carry.

cscitney87

imported post

kingfish wrote:
OCinColorado wrote:
I have gone hiking in the national forests with my rifle and so far, no problem! I would not suggest it in any of the state parks though.
Perhaps its the thought that our State Parks are generally more crowded? Not sure.

Kingfish

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
OCinColorado wrote:
Perhaps its the thought that our State Parks are generally more crowded? Not sure.
Yeah, I can see that. Good advice not to carry a slung loaded rifle around lots of people.

ZackL

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
Not sure but I believe that open carry in state parks is, like Denver, "Banned"

It's my understanding that it's only banned in those state parks that are owned by Denver county... I'm not sure which ones they own, but I know that they own quite a few of them. (I'm personally not an outdoorsy kind of person... sorry.)