Thread: Questions about self defense shooting

Post imported post

Ok so I have been doing quite a bit of research here on this site (which has been extremely helpful!!!!! and I thank who ever designed it and all of you who comment on it daily!)

Ive been reading some laws here and there as well..

Can anyone point me to a link/site that explains in VA what qualifies as self defense shooting? I hope I never have to draw my weapon on anyone ever. However if I do I want to know when I am in the right and wrong.

If I have a mugger come up to me (or coming at me in a aggressive attitude) whether I am by myself or with my family.

Am I (in the right of the law) to so to say brandish my weapon so maybe he thinks twice? If he does not have a weapon that I can see I dont see how it would be lawful for me to draw on him unless he is twice my size which might be the case I am a small guy.

Also if he does have a weapon and I draw he continues I fire, (quite sure on this one) I am in the right.....right?

Also last question what if I take up for my family member say my step dad gets into a altercation and I go in to help (no one is going to watch their father get beat) and I cant get him off and I pull on him?

Sorry if these seem like common sense questions but now days Id rather know then second guess myself but then again if it came down to it, Id go to jail in a heartbeat if it came to protecting my mother or father.

I wouldnt like to go to jail but I would, I would never want to see either of them hurt it would kill me.

Thanks everyone!!!

-The New guy trying to learn!!

Post imported post

Post imported post

Unfortunately, few of these questions have absolute answers. We have a regular contributor here named User, who is a lawyer and who also conducts occasional seminars on this very subject.

A good starting place here on these forums would be to take a look through some of his posts in the past. As with anyone, we all tend to post about a variety of different things, and at different levels of helpfulness, but anyway, this is where I would start.

User's posts.

Another good source is a web site maintained by Virginiaplanter: http://www.virginia1774.org/

TFred

Post imported post

Thanks yeah as I just got done reading this, I still had quite a few questions because it only answered one LOL

Thank you

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Unfortunately, few of these questions have absolute answers. We have a regular contributor here named User, who is a lawyer and who also conducts occasional seminars on this very subject.
    That does NOT mean he's providing legal advice, only personal opinion.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    That does NOT mean he's providing legal advice, only personal opinion.
    I dont take anything on the internet as legal advice

Post imported post

That doesn't stop some people from trying to use that excuse.

Standard disclaimer applies, no warranty is to be assumed or presumed.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I appreciate your having covered for me. Here's the standard definition, which I normally take about an hour and a half to explain in my seminars:

"One who reasonably and in good faith believes, based on objective fact, the he or an innocent third party is faced with an imminent threat of serious bodily injury, then the use of deadly force is excusable."

I have gone on at some length about what that means elsewhere on this forum, so there is a more complete explanation somewhere here. Please use the search-function for more information.

If Step-dad is a "mutual combatant" then you're not entitled to use deadly force - he's not an "innocent" third party. If he, himself, is attempting to quell an unjustified attack, and acting pursuant to the "self-defense/defense of others" rule, then you can help. Always be careful about jumping into someone else's fight. One of my favorite stories is about the guy who shot an undercover cop who was "attacking" a fleeing bank robber.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I strongly suggest that you attend one of "user's" seminars on the use of deadly force. I have been to two of them and they are well worth your time. And they are not expensive. PM him to find out when the next one is scheduled.

In the mean time, buy "The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide" which is available at many gun stores. A decent book to have in your collection. But definitely attend the seminar I mentioned. Nothing but good will come from it.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Are User's seminars posted/advertised anywhere?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    Are User's seminars posted/advertised anywhere?
    I would PM him to see when the next seminar is coming up. The last one I attended was in Front Royal. It never hurts to gain whatever knowledge and information you can in this area.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I'll put stuff here, VaGunTrader.com,and on DefensiveCarry.com when I've got something to publicize.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.