• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

G26, G27 or G33

Sman007

imported post

First time poster here and I'll apologize now in advance as I'm sure this has been hashed over once or twice before. I've read a lot on here and this seems like a great forum.

This weekend I plan on getting a new "subcompact". Either the
G26, G27 or G33. For CC only. When and if I elect to OC I'll be covered.

Currently we (wife and I) have a G19 for HD only. For CC I feel it's too big. I love the G19 but for us and CC, it's slightly cumbersome
no matter what position I carry in. (SOB or IWB) It prints to some degree. I'd like to minimize that as much as possible. I'm 5' 10" 210lbs Med to stocky build.

I'm leaning towards the G27 for the following reasons. (CC only)

1) The G27 seems like a better choice for CC due to the smaller size and stopping power. I'm not to concerned with kick back. I'm sure I can handle it however I've only got "real" experience with the 9mm.

2) Ammo cost and availability. The 357 sig availability sucks in my area. 9mm and .40 is plentiful with .40 slightly higher but not enough to make me choose a G26 over the G27. I do like the thought of the G33 for it's stopping power but can't see paying the extra buckos on ammo. I would strongly consider the G33 if price and availability were much better.

3) We have the 9mm already. If for some reason I really want to go back to a 9mm I can change barrels right?

Wife will most likely end up with either a .380 or a 9mm. That will be her decision.

Thanks in advance and let me know if I'm missing anything.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Welcome to the forum Sman007

Several suggestions:

1) Add you location to your profile - it helps when questions/posts get state specific.

2) Find a way to shoot and try on the various models to see what suits you best. Much individual preference to this regard.

3) Gather that you are fairly new to carrying/shooting as you indicate your only "real" experience is with 9mm and your use of the term "kick back."

Felt recoil is dependent on a number of factors: weight and design of the gun,, type of ammo and grip. There are light power loads that may be used for practice in all calibers - not many routinely practice with their defensive carry loads. Its nice to do, but expensive.

Yata hey

Sman007

imported post

Thanks for the welcome. I just updated my profile and you'll see I'm from CT. Yes I am new to CC. I've practice many times with the 9mm and have shot 45's years back in the Military. I understand how different loads effect recoil. Currently I've practiced with both the Fed HST 124 and Corbon dpx 115+p. I don't think I really notice a huge difference. I prefer the Fed round but I think both will do the job if tasked. [size=[/font]][/size]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sman007 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. I just updated my profile and you'll see I'm from CT. Yes I am new to CC. I've practice many times with the 9mm and have shot 45's years back in the Military. I understand how different loads effect recoil. Currently I've practiced with both the Fed HST 124 and Corbon dpx 115+p. I don't think I really notice a huge difference. I prefer the Fed round but I think both will do the job if tasked.
Two extremely good loadings - IMO the best.

Yata hey

smash29

imported post

I'd go with the 26 because the 19 mags will work and it would be one less caliber to stock up on... Then again I'm not a fan of the .40(especially when it's launched by a Glock) so myview is a bit skewed...

Where are you from in CT?

ABNinfantryman

imported post

gutshot wrote:
The .357 offers no advantage over the 40
Except that it's a straight line shot with little arc and can puncture a windshield and still continue straight on it's path with minimal deflection (tested it). Love the .357 SIG, just wish it were more plentiful.

Sandiesman007

imported post

Well I picked up the 26 today. It just feels right and it's nice and well.....concealable!

Now to the range!

Sandiesman007

imported post

Well I wore it around town (CC) yesterday. Grocery Store....ect....and it felt much better on my waste than the 19 did. I didn't feel like I had to keep checking to see if my shirt was still covering it. So I think I got a winner here!

Yard Sale

imported post

You can put Pearce or Scherer pinky extensions on the little 10-round magazines to give your hand a full grip if you have the concealment for it. Of the two, the Pearce is slightly smaller.

You can carry G19 or G17 magazines for reloads. Reloading the little 10 rounders isn't easy.

Sandiesman007

imported post

Already done Yard Sale! I had them put on the 3 new mags that came with it. I personally like the feel of all three fingers wrapped around the grip. I also got a free Tac lite as well. The Tac lite won't fit the G26 but fits the G19.

AbNo

imported post

Sman007 wrote:
This weekend I plan on getting a new "subcompact". Either the G26, G27 or G33. For CC only. When and if I elect to OC I'll be covered.
Well, you COULD get a Block, I mean Glock, OR you could get a Springfield XD. :D

First time poster here and I'll apologize now in advance as I'm sure this has been hashed over once or twice before.
And it will be again and again. Firearm preference, like the Caliber Debate, will run on for eternity. ;)

ABNinfantryman wrote:
Except that it's a straight line shot with little arc and can puncture a windshield and still continue straight on it's path with minimal deflection (tested it).
The Box O' Truth has a nice write-up on shooting in and out windshields... :)

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

Article1section23

imported post

smash29 wrote:
I'd go with the 26 because the 19 mags will work and it would be one less caliber to stock up on... Then again I'm not a fan of the .40 (especially when it's launched by a Glock) so myview is a bit skewed...

Where are you from in CT?

Hey smash,

This is what I did with my 27 and 22. I have two mags for my 27 and the rest of my stash is 22 mags. I'm also looking at getting a 23 next, so again, my 22 mags will work in it also.

Love the glocks.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

gutshot wrote:
If you wish to quote me, please do so in entirety.
I, and others, can tell who's opinion it is since it says "username wrote." Adding "IMO" does not in any way invalidate my retort to your statement.

Anywho, Grapeshot thanks for the ammo links, I've been using ammunitiontogo. What I had meant is more plentiful around town, though, sorry for not specifying.

AbNo I'm gonna read those now, thanks! :)

Tazman2

imported post

Hello fellow CT buddy! Good choice on the G26! I LOVE mine! I tend to carry it with the Glock +2 extension but when I want to conceal better I use the 10 rd mag. I'm sure you already found out how much it sucks loosing that grip after using the +2, etc. Well here's a fix. I bought these and LOVE them!

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/

PS: I'm in Newington myself let me know if your ever out and about shooting! :p

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Sman007 wrote:
Currently we (wife and I) have a G19 for HD only. For CC I feel it's too big. I love the G19 but for us and CC, it's slightly cumbersome
no matter what position I carry in.

Huh? I CC my Glock 21, and when I want something "smaller" my SR9 (which really isn't that much smaller). The SR9 is comparable in size to the G19.

Full-size pistol = less recoil & better accuracy.

Oh well... unto each his own :)

Tazman2

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Sman007 wrote:
no matter what position I carry in.

Huh? I CC my Glock 21, and when I want something "smaller" my SR9 (which really isn't that much smaller). The SR9 is comparable in size to the G19.

Full-size pistol = less recoil & better accuracy.

Oh well... unto each his own :)

He's new tocarrying and/or his body type doesn't agree with a G19. I also can't quite feel comfy with carrying my P228 (G19 size) on my hip in the summer. ;)

Sandiesman007

imported post

I tried carrying the G19 again this week. Again it was ok but was never really comfortable. After CC'ing with the 26..... it just fits like a old pair of sneakers and I'm less conscious about it showing. I see a lot of positive reviews on the 26 and so far I'm very happy with my choice and I feel confident it will do the job if needed.

Robocop

imported post

I actually successfully carried a Beretta 96 concealed for a long time, so carrying my Glock 27 presented no problems. I guess having a large build has one advantage.