• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paid anti-gun lobbyists engaged in anti-gun edit war on Wikipedia (allegedly)

MichaelWDean

imported post

Permalink:
http://www.libertarianpunk.com/2010/03/paid-anti-gun-lobbyists-engaged-in-anti-gun-edit-war-on-wikipedia-allegedly/

Paid anti-gun lobbyists engaged in anti-gun edit war on Wikipedia (allegedly).

I’m saying “allegedly” because these folks probably have an army of lawyers and I’m just stating opinion here, reporting what others on Wikipedia have said.
There are a few people on Wikipedia who have been making edits to gun-rights articles, (allegedly) removing even encyclopedic wording that shows open carry, CCWs and gun ownership in a positive light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Open_carry#Massive_Conflict_of_Interest_in_Editing
Do the other editors realize that ForwardThinkers is the NEW EDITING NAME of a full-time paid lobbyist for The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (CSGV)–a gun control group? In fact, “CSGV “was his old editing sign-in name. Talk about conflict of interest! ForwardThinkers has been repeatedly warned in the past not to make substantive edits to gun rights pages by other editors and admins, yet he persists in doing so. This sort of meddling by paid lobbyists and their cronies is POISONING wikipedia, and compromising its neutrality.

Here’s where ForwardThinkers admits he’s “the Director of Communications” for anti-gun rights group the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk%3ACoalition_to_Stop_Gun_Violence&diff=278582353&oldid=278581331#Neutrality_Dispute

Here’s an example of an edit this user, ForwardThinkers, made:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States&diff=348597527&oldid=348078605}

ForwardThinkers stripped most of the useful and true information from the article on Concealed Carry. (It was later reverted by more neutral and senior editors.)
If you look at the edit history of this user,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Forward_Thinkers

they pretty much sit around all day, every day, making edits on Wikipedia, and these edits are later reverted by other editors. Me thinks they might be paid to do this.
Also, this user,
PeaceLoveHarmony
, is “engaged in an edit” war, according to more senior Wikipedia editors, and has been threatened with getting kicked off the site for editing gun-rights articles in a negative light.

This user: SaltyBoatr
Engages in a lot of edits of RKBA articles, including adding a “connection” between Open Carry and “extremist groups” here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Open_carry&action=historysubmit&diff=348599545&oldid=348571952

But that user is unlikely to get spanked, he abides by the rules of Wikipedia, and also edits non-RKBA articles, stuff on sports, etc. That goes a long way on Wikipedia for not seeming “spammy” or “sockpuppty.” In fact, he’s been awarded a “BarnStar” (Wikipedia award for outstanding service.)

This non-spammy user GB fan, actually removed the link to OpenCarry.org link on the Open Carry article on Wikipedia, but it was simply a “notability challenge”, a common and needed filtering technique on Wikipedia. Several users challenged the challenge, here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Open_carry#Removal_of_OpenCarry.org_link
and the link was returned to the site.

ACTION?
I’m only pointing this out. I’m not asking people to challenge this on Wikipedia, unless they are long-time Wikipedia users with many useful edits, and who understand the way Wikipedia works. Any new user who jumps in and starts making feisty edits will usually have their edits deleted. There’s a protocol, and it has to be followed. And old users have more sway than new users, especially old users with many useful edits, with attribution, on a number of topics.

I’d say if there are any long-time Wikipedia users with many useful edits, and who understand the way Wikipedia works, they keep an eye on the anti-gun editors and challenge edits.
– Michael W. Dean

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hellrrwo?

Is this the pro-gun forum?

Sock_Puppet_3_small.jpg

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There has been allot of leftist editing of Wiki articles on various issues. I remember hearing about stuff written on behalf of the "Man made Global Warming" sleptics that were edited by pro-AGW advocates. I'm not surprise to hear about anti-gunners doing the same, to progun articles.

MichaelWDean

imported post

The semi-famous (and a rock star in the historic computer BBS world) Jason Scott, was a massive and excellent contributor to Wikipedia early on.

He finally got frustrated with it and gave up.

He wrote this excellent essay “The Great Failure of Wikipedia”:
http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/808

This paragraph from the essay sums it up well:

“This is what the inherent failure of wikipedia is. It’s that there’s a small set of content generators, a massive amount of wonks and twiddlers, and then a heaping amount of procedural whackjobs. And the mass of twiddlers and procedural whackjobs means that the content generators stop being so and have to become content defenders. Woe be that your take on things is off from the majority. Even if you can prove something, you’re now in the situation that anybody can change it. And while that’s all great in a happy-go-lucky flower shower sort of way, it’s when you realize that the people who are going to change it could have absolutely no experience with the subject whatsoever, then you see where we are.”
===
MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
There has been allot of leftist editing of Wiki articles on various issues. I remember hearing about stuff written on behalf of the "Man made Global Warming" sleptics that were edited by pro-AGW advocates. I'm not surprise to hear about anti-gunners doing the same, to progun articles.

Yeah, someone tried to delete the Wikipedia article on Boston T. Party, claiming he "wasn't notable" in the gun world. (ha!)

The Boston T. Party article got properly defended, and stayed.

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

David Codrea bloged this on War On Guns today:
http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2010/03/wikipropaganda.html

And someone from there posted more info back on my blog:

====
Miguel says: SaltyBoatr has long been pushing his anti-gun agenda on Wikipedia. He did this initially under his old user name of BruceHallman dating back about 5 years on Wikipedia, but he changed his nom de guerre upon receiving death threats.

He still uses that name at times for sailboat article editing. He also uses several other names on Wikipedia, too, changing from user name to user name depending on topic. He lives in Pacifica, CA and pushes a decidely leftwing agenda on all articles.

I no longer edit on Wikipedia largely because of Bruce. As for the CSGV VP, yes, he did get nailed initially upon showing up on Wikipedia. But , the admins in league with him simply let him change his name and continue pushing the admin-favored CSGV agenda. He often works at his CSGV office, while doing edits on Wikipedia, with his new ForwardThinkers user name. The IP addresses, when traced, proved it. My blood pressure has gone back to normal, by simply not fighting the constant left wing agenda edits and by simply giving up on Wikipedia.
====

I replied:

Figures he lives in Pacifica, CA.
As I recall from my time in the Bay Area, Pacifica is where people live who find San Francisco to be too right wing.
MWD

MWD

Michigander

imported post

Wikipedia is an incredibly unreliable source. I don't see how it matters much.

If someone is too stupid to figure out how to go there for general information, then go elsewhere to verify and expand on it, then they're probably too stupid for me to care what they may or may not think and believe about anything.

wrightme

imported post

Michigander wrote:

If someone is too stupid to figure out how to go there for general information, then go elsewhere to verify and expand on it, then they're probably too stupid for me to care what they may or may not think and believe about anything.
My Ex has been in online college courses, and keeps complaining that she cannot find sources to cite, because wikipedia is not an accepted source. I keep trying to explain that she should use wikepedia as a source aggregater, and follow the links to references that wiki provides......
It falls on deaf ears. :quirky

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Michigander wrote:

My Ex has been in online college courses, and keeps complaining that she cannot find sources to cite, because wikipedia is not an accepted source. I keep trying to explain that she should use wikepedia as a source aggregater, and follow the links to references that wiki provides......

I take it the this is, in part, why he/she is an Ex?

I have to wonder how anyone like this can even make passing grades in college and graduate.

wrightme

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Michigander wrote:

I take it the this is, in part, why he/she is an Ex?

I have to wonder how anyone like this can even make passing grades in college and graduate.
LOL, concur.
She asked me to look at her resume once. She almost cried when I mentioned that a one page resume should have more than about 10 sentences, and be written with the desired job position in mind.

MichaelWDean

imported post

wrightme wrote:
: I keep trying to explain that she should use wikepedia as a source aggregater, and follow the links to references that wiki provides......
Exactly. It's a good place to start, not a good place to end.

MWD