• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drop Leg Holsters

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

I am fairly new to OCing, and right now I actually don't have a pistol to carry anymore. I sold it to my mother because she moved into a large city, and I wanted her to have a weapon for HD. Anyways, even though I don't currently have a handgun, I'm still very active and interested in OCing. I just wanted to know what everybody thinks about drop leg holsters for everyday carry. IMHO, I don't care if it's "tacticool", or "mall ninja-esque", I find that they're more comfortable when I'm on a motorcycle. I also like the fact that my pistol won't dig into my side when I sit down. I am a bit overweight by 25 - 30 pounds, and it is a problem when my gun digs into my side, I've even gotten a slight bruise a couple of times. Wow, I'm rambling, sorry about that. Back to my original point. Too "tacticool"?

BreakingTheMold

imported post

If its too tacticool is all opinion. If your traditional, any tacticool is too much.

Drop legs as you said would be great for on a bike. I wear one sometimes up here in MI in the winter. Hard to OC any other way.

Try a shoulder rig maybe as well. Or move your holster to more of a 4 o'clock 5 o'clock.

Find and carry whatever works for you.

shad0wfax

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
[SNIP]
I just wanted to know what everybody thinks about drop leg holsters for everyday carry. IMHO, I don't care if it's "tacticool", or "mall ninja-esque", I find that they're more comfortable when I'm on a motorcycle. I also like the fact that my pistol won't dig into my side when I sit down. I am a bit overweight by 25 - 30 pounds, and it is a problem when my gun digs into my side [SNIP]
What it boils down to, is what is safe, practical, comfortable and useful to you. On a motorcycle I can certainly understand why you'd want to have a thigh-rig.

Another option might be a dropped and offset holster from a company like Blade-Tech. Dropped and offset holsters are dropped from the belt by an inch or three and also have a slight offset away from the body. Many women prefer dropped & offset holsters, especially ones with high waists and more of an hourglass figure.

That being said, if you're especially concerned with public perception and the drop-leg thigh holsters seem a bit too edgy, you could consider a dropped and offset belt rig.

I personally don't see anything wrong with a thigh rig.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I basically have 3 holsters for each primary carry sidearm - OWB, IWB and drop-leg (ok, actually I have a few others now that I think about it but rarely use those except at the range). Why? Choices. I use the OWB and IWB regularly depending on OC or CC and what I am wearing. I only have used the drop-leg hiking or doing manual labor in a rural setting although I have gone to town for supplies wearing it.

While experts will tell you to always use the same holster and same gun for carry for consistency, the fact is that for us lowly civilians, especially those of us who live or spend time in non-OC areas/settings regularly, we have to adapt the gun/holster to our clothing as often as we adapt our clothing to the gun/holster. Hence my wanting choices. When I find a holster I like I get that holster for all my carry sidearms so in that regard there is consistency.

So no, I don't think a drop-leg is inherently a bad choice for OC. On the other hand it is not appropriate for every setting or clothing style.

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Nikki_Black wrote:
[SNIP]
I just wanted to know what everybody thinks about drop leg holsters for everyday carry. IMHO, I don't care if it's "tacticool", or "mall ninja-esque", I find that they're more comfortable when I'm on a motorcycle. I also like the fact that my pistol won't dig into my side when I sit down. I am a bit overweight by 25 - 30 pounds, and it is a problem when my gun digs into my side [SNIP]
What it boils down to, is what is safe, practical, comfortable and useful to you. On a motorcycle I can certainly understand why you'd want to have a thigh-rig.

Another option might be a dropped and offset holster from a company like Blade-Tech. Dropped and offset holsters are dropped from the belt by an inch or three and also have a slight offset away from the body. Many women prefer dropped & offset holsters, especially ones with high waists and more of an hourglass figure.

That being said, if you're especially concerned with public perception and the drop-leg thigh holsters seem a bit too edgy, you could consider a dropped and offset belt rig.

I personally don't see anything wrong with a thigh rig.
I would agree with that. If I am in a suit I could see having a nicer looking holster non military swat team looking style for fashion sense. A pair of shorts different matter. I would just make sure to practice with every holster you have.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

I don't really care what people around me think about me wearing a thigh rig. If they're gonna make a stink about anything, it'd be the gun. Not the rig. I just wondered what you guys' opinions on them were. I generally just dress for comfort anyway, and thigh rigs are the most comfortable for me.

Thoreau

imported post

Personally, for daily carry, I stick to something like a nice leather IWB, or a standard Serpa on a paddle mount. When it comes to comfort, the leg rig is LAST on my list. I do, however, use one when I'm out hiking. There's simply no way to wear a belt-level rig when also having to wear a backpack. Not only do the shoulder straps start getting in the way, but the hip belt from the backpack completely nullifies any chance of using a belt rig. (I know I could use something like a SafePacker, but one of my golden rules is the gun needs to be attached to ME, not my backpack.)

That said, if it's the most comfortable option for you, use the heck out of it! If nothing else, I think leg rigs put the gun at a more natural location for drawing since you don't have to bend your arm at the elbow muchto reach up and grab the gun from above the belt line.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Thats what I use here in michigan to OC in the cold.
Man that really just doesn't look very securely fastened to your leg.

hightecrebel

imported post

Ian wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
Thats what I use here in michigan to OC in the cold.
Man that really just doesn't look very securely fastened to your leg.
I'm willing to bet that they put it on to demonstrate they use one. Mine stays at a larger-than-normal set-up because I wear bulkier clothes when it's cold compared to warm, so in plain jeans it wouldn't look well attached.

Dreamer

imported post

About the ONLY two instances where I think a thigh rig would be something I would even consider would be riding a bike/motorcycle, or when I'm wearing my overalls (which have no beltloops, and therefore, a paddle holster won't work). But even then, any time I'm wearing overalls, I'm either operating a printing press or working in my woodshop, and neither of those activities are really compatible with carrying in ANY configuration except perhaps in my pocket. Between the sawdust, solvents, inks, and lots of heavy lifting, I think any sort of hip holster and full-size firearm are just not practical.

What I usually do when engaged in those activities is keep the .45 in a "range rug" tucked in a drawer in my workbench. It's out-of-sight for any visitors, it's safe from dirt, dust, grime and solvents, but it's within easy reach.

Personally I think thigh rigs are better left for the range, or for hunting. I think OCing in a thigh rig sort of brands you as a mall ninja. And I'll admit, I hold that prejudice, even though I'm pretty much an "anything goes" type of guy as far as what people carry.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Didn't want to start a new thread while this one was still on the front page.

What are the main differences between a drop leg holster and a drop belt rig? I'm considering a drop holster because I have long-ish arms and having a holster at my waist just seems too high. The thigh holster just looks weird to me, though. Does it have any advantages over a belt rig? (And I always wear a belt, so not needing a belt is not an 'advantage' for me.)

zack991

imported post

This is what I use for armed security as well as open carry when off duty.
SDC10257.jpg

SDC10261-1.jpg

Thoreau

imported post

.45acp wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:
why dont you carry the extra mag on your weakside so you dont have to reach over or switch the gun to your left hand to reach it?
I was wondering the same thing.

Because TWO drop-leg rigs are just creepy =)

Joking aside, I use the same rig myself, and also had a mag holder on it just like in that pic. The only reason I took the mag holder off was because that was a lotta weight on one leg, and nothing on the other side to balance it out. That, and the whole 'reaching across' for a fresh mag thing was certainly in my mind. I can't speak for that person, but from my own experiences I can say that sometimes there just isn't a better place to slap a spare mag depending on attire, what else is being carried, etc.

That being said, I carried with that same rig (minus mag holder) into the Grand Canyon this weekend and only got one 'are you a ranger' comment. (Got a similar one though later in the day when I switched the Serpa into a paddle mount (using the QD plates.)) Drop-leg rigs certainly do have their uses.

marrero jeff

imported post

what?! two drop leg holsters is just 2x the tacticool! if thats just not your style carrying them in conventional mag holders on your belt on your weak side work just fine too.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've never used a leg drop holster but I have considered it. I usually use a paddle holster because they are really comfortable and easy to adjust. Would anyone recommend a good leg drop holster?