Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Training

Post imported post

Figured no better place to ask I googled but got a mess of stuff also dont want to pay for something thats not worth it.

As title says I want to go to as much handgun training as possible.

Anything from novice to expert (should start with novice though).

Dont get me wrong I am not new to handguns been around them all my life my father was in the military trained me on everything I know about guns.

However in case I would ever need to use my gun I could prove that I have extensive knowledge on it. Besides that I would LOVE to compete even if I dont win just because it looks fun! Gives me something to do and something to spend money on haha

I go to SGE and just asked them about their tactial scenario program awaiting a email back.

So any advice on this? I would rather not spend a thousand on a class. So if we could keep it under a thousand that would be nice I only say this because I saw one that was like 2k and people said it was junk forgot the name of the class. It is here in VA.

Thanks

Post imported post

Well, if would help if we knew more about where you lived. This is a big state, and we don't want to send you some place that's 4+ hours away.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

haha sorry I live in alexandria NOVA but dont care to travel if its a one day class

Post imported post

Take a look at the NRA training website:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

No question you'll find something within a half an hour of Alexandria.

I do recommend their pistol course, but take the complete (eight hour) course, not the "basic pistol" course. I guarantee you'll learn things you didn't learn from Grand-dad or from the Army.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

G3SecurityGroup.com - Sterling, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

we are in NOVA the Sterling park, Herndon area.

G3SecurityGroup.com

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

user wrote:
    Take a look at the NRA training website:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

No question you'll find something within a half an hour of Alexandria.

I do recommend their pistol course, but take the complete (eight hour) course, not the "basic pistol" course. I guarantee you'll learn things you didn't learn from Grand-dad or from the Army.
    Remember though that the only courses listed there are official NRA classes. There are lot of great instructors out there who run programs other than what's listed on that site.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Glocker9 wrote:
    So any advice on this?
    I recommend John Murphyhttp://www.fpftraining.com/index.html, who is not expensive, and I personally recommend Tommy Thacker http://www.nvtactical.com; bothare here in NOVA.

If you don't mind a little travel, I can also recommend Peter Georgiades[/b]http://www.fireinstitute.org, Steve Silverman (hope that he is still active, but I have not heard from him for a while)[/b]http://www.f-r-i.com, and John Farnam, http://www.defense-training.com, all in Pennsylvannia, though I have been trying to get John down here (hard to find a range). Kyle Lamg,http://www.vikingtactics.com, and Tom Givens[/b] http://www.rangemaster.com, are both worth the longer drive.

There are others on the east coast (one thatis ALMOST worth the drive to Florida), but I do not know enough about rest. There are also, of course, many others who are EXCELLENT, but you have to make a major effort, i.e., travel across country, etc.

Sorry about the fonts: I was cutting and pasting, and the software here went haywire, and I could not undo it.

[line]

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

+1 for John Murphy @ http://www.fpftraining.com/index.html

My Avatar pic was taken at one of his classes.

Post imported post

I must find/make time for this.

Too much time on low stress, untimed, paper targets.

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote: John Murphy is in the neighborhood, but at this time he doesn't allow Serpa holsters on his range...

Wife and I are preparing to attend Pat Goodale's Practical Firearms Training Defensive Handgun courses at his WV location. http://www.pgpft.com

Post imported post

This has been discussed several times on OCDO, but I have been and continue to be, opposed to using the Serpa and I think for safety reasons, I support John Murphy's choice in banning the Serpa from his classes.
    I will say that it's unfortunate that consumers can't train with the holster they like, as a result of this policy.

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    This has been discussed several times on OCDO, but I have been and continue to be, opposed to using the Serpa and I think for safety reasons,
    If it's been discussed several times on OCDO, I must've missed it somehow in my three years and 3400 posts.

Care to refresh my memory?

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    This has been discussed several times on OCDO, but I have been and continue to be, opposed to using the Serpa and I think for safety reasons, I support John Murphy's choice in banning the Serpa from his classes.
    I will say that it's unfortunate that consumers can't train with the holster they like, as a result of this policy.
    I use a CR Speed holster because the Serpa wears my gun's finish anyway. It is great for not only competition, but also open carry. I will never go back to Serpa now.

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Please explain in detail what is unsafe about a SERPA.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    ufcfanvt wrote:
    The Serpa urban legend - old wives tale.

Occasionally someone will pop up who knows somebody that knows somebody who has seen a small pebble jamb the release on this hoster - this story has been around for years.

Blackhawk responded to this possibility a long, long time ago by closing the previously open edge on the Serpa.

Even so, an instructor wanting to make a point tried to show me where the jamb would occur - only to find out that it couldn't. His response was, "I see they fixed it, but I still don't like it." :?

Love all three of my Serpas.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    ufcfanvt wrote:
    The Serpa urban legend - old wives tale.

Occasionally someone will pop up who knows somebody that knows somebody who has seen a small pebble jamb the release on this hoster - this story has been around for years.

Blackhawk responded to this possibility a long, long time ago by closing the previously open edge on the Serpa.

Even so, an instructor wanting to make a point tried to show me where the jamb would occur - only to find out that it couldn't. His response was, "I see they fixed it, but I still don't like it." :?

Love all three of my Serpas.

Yata hey
    Grapeshot, do you know of any online content that would disprove this legend?

Post imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
    Grapeshot, do you know of any online content that would disprove this legend?
    How do you disprove a legend?

Serpas are in use by military in the sand box, thousands and thousand of civilians own them and are not reporting any problems.

Here is some pro and con discussion - all of the negatives seem to fall into the "what if" category.
    http://policelink.monster.com/topics...e-deadly/posts

The sales pitch by Blackhawk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H28yVa1wojc

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I think another concern was that while pressing in with the index finger to release the catch, a person may accidentally continue pressing the index finger into the trigger?
    I don't have an opinion on the holster or this scenario, it was just something I read on the inter-webs.

Post imported post

mdinnie wrote:
    I think another concern was that while pressing in with the index finger to release the catch, a person may accidentally continue pressing the index finger into the trigger?
    I don't have an opinion on the holster or this scenario, it was just something I read on the inter-webs.
    No more so than an early finger on the trigger with any holster - you will perform the way you train.

Proper indexing of the trigger finger does NOT utilize the finger tip, but rather a straight, flat finger.

Yata hey

Post imported post

All right, I'm officially calling this....

... until someone can come up with something more substantial than "I know a guy that heard a guy say something about something he read on something on the internet, or something."

Back on topic.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    mdinnie wrote:
    No more so than an early finger on the trigger with any holster - you will perform the way you train.

Proper indexing of the trigger finger does NOT utilize the finger tip, but rather a straight, flat finger.

Yata hey
    As a new handgun owner, I spent a lot of time (waaaay too much, probably) researching the various holster options. I read through a lot of forums, contacted vendors, talked to a bunch of gun shop dudes, contacted organizations that conducted defensive handgun training, asked my local military and LEO friends, and finally visited a few places that I could spend some time trying on holsters. The Blackhawk Serpa by far was the holster most commonly suggested. After trying it and a few other favorites, I decided that the Serpa was the holster that I, as a new shooter, could most easily draw from and return to, while keeping a firm grip and properly indexed trigger finger.

Keep in mind that each person is different - this is just my experience. Now that I have worn the holster for about 6 months, I can easily see how I could adapt to other holster types - I think I'd like to try one next that is more easily concealable.

I did see the same repeated story about the Serpa that jammed, but no one could point to an authoritative source. I don't doubt John Murphy - the man has an excellent reputation from both a character and training aspect - but the incident seems to have occurred during the earlier design period of the holster.

I am scheduled for a 2-day defensive handgun course in the next month,which will be my first experience using the gun and holster under 'simulated' stress - hopefully the holster will work as flawlessly as it has so far!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

How could anyone have missed any of the Serpa threads

Serpa's aren't unsafe unless of course, you get your head blown off while trying to push the button.

Like every holster, they aren't for everyone. I gave mine to Grapeshot. I hated it, he loves it...different strokes.

As far as the old push the button pull the trigger story, somewhere in the world there is always someone stoopid enough to do something.

The Serpa's aren't any more unsafe than any other holster.

Post imported post

I am getting ready to take a class with Commonweath Criminal Justice Academy in Fredericksburg VA. $200 for Handgun I plus 300 rounds. I was going to got to FPF but wont because of the stupidity of the Serpa ban...

The head instructor for CCJA is a regular on SWAT Magazine TV...should be a good class...

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusti....com/index.htm

Post imported post

Yellow_Mustang wrote:
    I am getting ready to take a class with Commonweath Criminal Justice Academy in Fredericksburg VA. $200 for Handgun I plus 300 rounds. I was going to got to FPF but wont because of the stupidity of the Serpa ban...

The head instructor for CCJA is a regular on SWAT Magazine TV...should be a good class...

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusti....com/index.htm
    Let us know what you think of the course, instructors and facility.

Always good to get another reference.

Yata hey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast