• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Training

AbNo

imported post

All right, I'm officially calling this....

... until someone can come up with something more substantial than "I know a guy that heard a guy say something about something he read on something on the internet, or something."

Back on topic.

Regular_Joe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
mdinnie wrote:
I think another concern was that while pressing in with the index finger to release the catch, a person may accidentally continue pressing the index finger into the trigger?
I don't have an opinion on the holster or this scenario, it was just something I read on the inter-webs.
No more so than an early finger on the trigger with any holster - you will perform the way you train.

Proper indexing of the trigger finger does NOT utilize the finger tip, but rather a straight, flat finger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H28yVa1wojc

Yata hey
As a new handgun owner, I spent a lot of time (waaaay too much, probably) researching the various holster options. I read through a lot of forums, contacted vendors, talked to a bunch of gun shop dudes, contacted organizations that conducted defensive handgun training, asked my local military and LEO friends, and finally visited a few places that I could spend some time trying on holsters. The Blackhawk Serpa by far was the holster most commonly suggested. After trying it and a few other favorites, I decided that the Serpa was the holster that I, as a new shooter, could most easily draw from and return to, while keeping a firm grip and properly indexed trigger finger.

Keep in mind that each person is different - this is just my experience. Now that I have worn the holster for about 6 months, I can easily see how I could adapt to other holster types - I think I'd like to try one next that is more easily concealable.

I did see the same repeated story about the Serpa that jammed, but no one could point to an authoritative source. I don't doubt John Murphy - the man has an excellent reputation from both a character and training aspect - but the incident seems to have occurred during the earlier design period of the holster.

I am scheduled for a 2-day defensive handgun course in the next month,which will be my first experience using the gun and holster under 'simulated' stress - hopefully the holster will work as flawlessly as it has so far!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

How could anyone have missed any of the Serpa threads:banghead:

Serpa's aren't unsafe unless of course, you get your head blown off while trying to push the button.:lol:

Like every holster, they aren't for everyone. I gave mine to Grapeshot. I hated it, he loves it...different strokes.

As far as the old push the button pull the trigger story, somewhere in the world there is always someone stoopid enough to do something.

The Serpa's aren't any more unsafe than any other holster.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Yellow_Mustang wrote:
I am getting ready to take a class with Commonweath Criminal Justice Academy in Fredericksburg VA. $200 for Handgun I plus 300 rounds. I was going to got to FPF but wont because of the stupidity of the Serpa ban...

The head instructor for CCJA is a regular on SWAT Magazine TV...should be a good class...

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/index.htm
Let us know what you think of the course, instructors and facility.

Always good to get another reference.

Yata hey

230therapy

imported post

I did see the same repeated story about the Serpa that jammed, but no one could point to an authoritative source. I don't doubt John Murphy - the man has an excellent reputation from both a character and training aspect - but the incident seems to have occurred during the earlier design period of the holster.
and

... until someone can come up with something more substantial than "I know a guy that heard a guy say something about something he read on something on the internet, or something."

RE: SERPA

I had a SERPA holster for my 1911. The mechanism locked up when I was doing a drill while shooting from the ground. This occurred during one of FPF's courses in the 2003-2004 timeframe.

Yes, this actually happened to me. I was able to remove the holster from my belt. I walked downrange, maintained muzzle discipline and used a pick to get the pebble out. I threw the holster out and switched back to my DeSantis Cozy Partner.

I did not have an ND with the holster.

This is the direct reason why John does not allow SERPAs. He does cite other instructors on the safety issue.

I do not use SERPAs because of this issue. I don't use Phoenix HP22's because the plastic trigger broke, FIST holsters because the one I received was barely finished (rough edges, bad forming, incorrectly drilled holes) or after market parts for Glock pistols that are not made by Glock.

I highly recommend extensive testing of ALL your CCW gear, from belt to mags. Maybe your SERPA will be fine...maybe not. Test it by throwing crud into the mechanism. Perhaps they redesigned it to prevent this problem.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

230therapy wrote:

I had a SERPA holster for my 1911. The mechanism locked up when I was doing a drill while shooting from the ground. This occurred during one of FPF's courses in the 2003-2004 timeframe.

Yes, this actually happened to me. I was able to remove the holster from my belt. I walked downrange, maintained muzzle discipline and used a pick to get the pebble out. I threw the holster out and switched back to my DeSantis Cozy Partner.

This is the direct reason why John does not allow SERPAs. He does cite other instructors on the safety issue.
Serpa 2003-2004 would put his holster before the redesign/modification.

So the point is moot.

Yata hey

230therapy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
230therapy wrote:

Serpa 2003-2004 would put his holster before the redesign/modification.

So the point is moot.

Yata hey
Please reply to this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=40956&forum_id=62&jump_to=703040#p703040

I'm interested in the differences.

And the point is not moot if people don't know what they changed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Yellow_Mustang

imported post

Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy Handgun I Class review:

Wow is about all I can say...I just got home from the CCJA Tactical Handgun I class and it was a blast...Not to mention how much I really learned. I am not a beginner or newby to the firearms game...I have been throught he Washington DC police academy, I was in the US Army (an MP no less) and was even part of the Army Reserve Shooting team. I am also a current and active NRA firearms instructor. All that in mind I learned a ton today (stuff that will definately be incorporated in future classes I teach).

Tom is an amazing instructor and Yoda was excellent back up today. Both of them have a wealth of knowledge, and whats more dont get upset if you question them and ask WHY do you do that! Imagine that, on the contrary they actually invite those types of questions.

The range equally amazing...beautiful and it is all yours. We did some amazing drills on the range and I have now shot in ways I never even imagined! LOL...we were able to do things you can never do at your local range.

If you carry a gun or even have on in your home for defense and you havent taken this class...shame on you! Believe me...in the realy of handguns, this was the best $200 bucks I ever spent. You get the same level of training and drills that all of those high speed ninja type SWAT guys get, but do so as a civilian...

The only regret I have is not signing up for Handgun II tomorrow...but thats OK I will be in one very soon...so get off your butts and sign up....NOW!

Tom...thanks again and I cant wait until I can get back down for part 2!

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/

Floyd

imported post

I just completed John Murphy's Concealed Carry for Self Defense course (Apr. 10-11 class (http://www.fpftraining.com)in Culpeper, VA and can't recommend him enough.

John's teaches his class with practical drills to reinforce the lessons taught. He made the comment that "This is not a shooting class, this is a thinking class" and that's true. We went through approx. 600 rds of ammo, but were taught that this is not a 'target shooting class' - we trained based on various scenarios. This doesn't mean that marksmanship training wasn't needed/provided, but that hitting the target is only a part of what is needed to deal with a given situation. Situational awareness, actions based on the situation, proper draw, reloads and movement were all stressed.

This class obviously can't cover every situation in 16 hours, but it serves as a great baseline for the individual to build upon. I highly recommend this class as a starting point for carry (not just concealed) and also as a refresher course.