• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

use of force ??

DocDaddy

imported post

Some news clips from shooting dogs.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/dog-shot-and-killed-morning-norfolk-neighborhood?page=1

By Cindy Clayton
The Virginian-Pilot
© February 16, 2010

NORFOLK

A pit bullwas shot and killed by an off-dutypolice officer in the 4600 block of McNutt Courtthis morning, said Karen Parker-Chesson, police spokeswoman.

Other police officers were called on reports of shots fired at 12:24 a.m., Parker-Chesson said. When the officers arrived, they found the dog; it was removed by Animal Control officers.

The dog apparently charged at the off-duty officer, Parker-Chesson said. The officer was not hurt.

The incident is under investigation.

Follow up story: http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/slain-pit-bull-vick-remembered-candlelight-vigil

Too long to paste and lots of comments!

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/newport-news-officer-kills-pit-bull-after-it-chases-neighbors-attacks

By Patrick Wilson
The Virginian-Pilot
© May 10, 2008

NEWPORT NEWS

A Newport News police officer shot and killed a pit bull that was chasing people early Saturday morning, police said.

The officer shot at the dog, a male, several times after the dog attacked him, police said in a statement.

Police were called at 3:30 a.m. to the 400 block of Eureka Loop for a report of a pit bull chasing people.

The dog was supposedly in a fenced-in yard, but got loose, police said.

Witnesses told the officer that the dog was behind some townhouses. When the officer went to look, the dog attacked, police said.

The officer was not hurt. Animal control authorities took possession of the dead dog.

Patrick Wilson, (757) 446-2957, patrick.wilson@pilotonline.com

architect

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Ric in Richmond wrote:
So when you shoot the the dog (property by definition) that is attacking your dog (property by definition), you aren't using deadly force since the dog is not a person it is property.
I'll go with that.
Me too. There's an additional factor that I haven't seen addressed.

If one's dog is attacked, and especially if you keep that dog as a measure of personal protection, doesn't that attack extend to one on one's own person, even if no physical injury has yet to occur?

If a dog attacks my dog, it seems logical to believe that I am also in danger. Why should I wait until a measure of my protection is gone before defending myself?

If a human attacks my dog, obviously the equation changes significantly, but in a way, it is not unlike an attempt to disarm me. Their action has demonstrated some intention to do me harm. I do not claim an immediate deadly force response is the only rational one, but, seriously, what kind of person does that? If someone attacks my dog in my presence while I am OC, he is not only a sociopath, but stupid as well. Protection from stupid sociopaths seems to be a pretty good reason to carry.

I love dogs. They are by nature more noble than those owners who neglect their socialization to the point that they would attack another dog or human without provocation. I do not buy the statement that "there are no bad dogs," but those that have not been trained to be that way by an irresponsible human are exceedingly rare.