• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police checks

eye95

imported post

While one may be legally entitled to walk away from a LEO, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Personally, if a LEO asks me for my gun, I'll ask him if he is asking me or requiring me to hand it over. If he is asking, I'll make my decision based on whether I think he is just being overly cautious or being a jerk. If he is requiring, he gets the gun. I'll work things out later--likely to the detriment of the LEO.

In 1776, I might have reacted differently, but I don't see us as being there.

Yet.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

eye95 wrote:
While one may be legally entitled to walk away from a LEO, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Personally, if a LEO asks me for my gun, I'll ask him if he is asking me or requiring me to hand it over. If he is asking, I'll make my decision based on whether I think he is just being overly cautious or being a jerk. If he is requiring, he gets the gun. I'll work things out later--likely to the detriment of the LEO.

In 1776, I might have reacted differently, but I don't see us as being there.

Yet.
We have never left 1776. Or at least we should not have left 1776. By that I mean the spirit of what it means to be an American. I fear that yes.. we HAVE left 1776 and have inched too close to 1984.

eye95

imported post

By 1776, I am referring to being under tyrannical rule and feeling the need to throw off that yoke. One tends to react differently in such circumstances. We may be moving that way at alarming speed, but we aren't quite there yet.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

gbrown wrote:
a friend of mine said he was against open carry ( he is an officer ). he said that it would consume so much time as each time he encountered an open carry he would have to check and ask for a license..any comments..how would that work in the law enforcement field...
HAVE TO check? Sorry, I missed that. Where is he commanded by law to check each and every time he encounters someone performing what is at face value a perfectly legal activity?
People drive without their licenses every day, is he required by law to stop everyone he sees operating a motor vehicle on public roads to ensure that they are in possession of a valid driver's license?

KYKevin

imported post

gbrown wrote:
a friend of mine said he was against open carry ( he is an officer ). he said that it would consume so much time as each time he encountered an open carry he would have to check and ask for a license..any comments..how would that work in the law enforcement field...

It is his choice to stop someone legally carrying. So any time wasted is his and done so at his own discretion. He is chose to waste both yours and his time. Not you. OC does not mean you are out to waste a LEO's time.

IF for some reason aLEO fears some one who is OC. My question is why have you have that fear instilled in you? What have you done? :)If it is a bad guy you have put away in the past. I doubt they are gonna be OC to let you know. So that is not a legitimate answer. That being said.

Where I live in Owensboro Ky. Crime is not super bad but it is growing a bit. Some of our guys have the time to waste. :)I know a few of them.(just kidding guys)Most of our LEO's are pretty good guys and work hard. We have a huge meth prob here and they stay busy.

M

McX

imported post

i saw the title of this thread, and thought maybe the cops were giving out checks. like; i'm going to detain you, come up with some random stuff to engage you in, while you fear going to jail, but then i will give you a check for say $10,000. I was going to say I'm down for that. nevermind.

langenc

imported post

".....dollars to donuts.

No dollars-just donuts.

There is a war about to start over a similar attitude, in AZ. Misunderstanding..

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eye95 wrote:
By 1776, I am referring to being under tyrannical rule and feeling the need to throw off that yoke. One tends to react differently in such circumstances. We may be moving that way at alarming speed, but we aren't quite there yet.
As long as there is still money to be made by riveting their chains upon the necks of our [fellow] sufferers, it will never seem tyrannical; except for those who refuse to participate in the practice.

It is the same as the 'as long as it isn't happening to me, I don't care' argument.

Tyranny is already beset upon many of us. Just because it isn't you.... Yet.

Must I quote Niemöller? Nah... It isn't happening to you, so it's all just a figment of my overactive imagination.

How bad must it get before you admit it, much less take action?

/me looks at border invasion. 40 years and they still won't admit it?

Denial.

eye95

imported post

ixtow wrote:
eye95 wrote:
As long as there is still money to be made by riveting their chains upon the necks of our [fellow] sufferers, it will never seem tyrannical; except for those who refuse to participate in the practice.

It is the same as the 'as long as it isn't happening to me, I don't care' argument.

Tyranny is already beset upon many of us. Just because it isn't you.... Yet.

Must I quote Niemöller? Nah... It isn't happening to you, so it's all just a figment of my overactive imagination.

How bad must it get before you admit it, much less take action?

/me looks at border invasion. 40 years and they still won't admit it?

Denial.
Go pledge your life, your fortune, and your sacred Honor. And, good luck to you.

It ain't time yet, and it may never be. But, if you think it is, get on with it. Quit typing, get out there, and put your butt on the line.

I won't because it ain't time yet, and it may never be.

If you aren't willing to actually take action, put a cork in it. Moving on.

ElevenBravo

he feels the need to interrogate everyone he sees with a gun.

This comes from a lack of self confidence, one reason he so enjoys finding courage behind a badge, because this is the first time in his life, he actually felt like 'somebody'. Anything that rocks the boat disturbs.... the disturbed.

My opinion anyway..
Andrew