• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No firearms within 1,000 feet... where's the line?

Tolderian

imported post

I'm in Columbus, GA and I work for Columbus State University. I'm an avid open-carry advocate and am on good terms with the CSU Police Department. I went downtown to pick up a friend... downtown that I avoid like the plague as it crawls with criminals, drunks, and panhandlers.

Apparently some liberal, hippie, art-major called me in for open carrying, and fortunately it was my buddies with the CSU PD that were the ones to have responded to that call.

It's not like I stood out. I'm clean cut, well dressed, and I had my Springfield SA-XD holstered.

It was brought to my attention that CSU actually owns and leases PARTS of downtown :what:

So I'm thinking to myself... what do I do if someone tries to mug me? Nothing... because I can't carry within a 1000 feet of a part of town that CSU kinda own. :banghead:

And unfortunately... the bill going to senate isn't looking too promising when it comes to fixing the Campus Carry problem.

They referenced 16-11-127.1 and I can scan and attach it if necessary.

Those were mighty fine Officers and I appreciate them dearly... but I still find the situation to be a little screwy. Thoughts anyone?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

From first glance, it would appear that so long as you are in possession of a valid GFL under O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129,License to carry pistol or revolver that you are able to be within the 1,000 ft limit. However if you step onto actual school property (while not picking up or dropping off a student), the building or land the building is situated on, then you are in violation even if you have a license.

"Gun Laws in Plain English" per GeorgiaPacking.Org

Weapons on school property and functions: It is (felony offense) unlawful for a person to carry ANY type of weapon onto or within 1,000 feet of real property owned or leased by any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of post secondary education.
This code section does not apply to persons who are licensed under code 16-11-129 (Georgia Firearm License) or in accordance with code 43-38-10 (special carry licenses for security guards) when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school. (I'm not sure of the total legality actually carrying into a school building while picking up or dropping off a student, but it appears to be completely legal since the code does not say anything about not being allowed to enter the building while carrying. Note that the public gathering code makes an exception for what is allowed in this school law. I wouldn't loiter around in the halls or cafeteria, but instead make a straight bee line to the office and back in order to drop off or pick up a student if you are required to do so.) This code section shall not apply to Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle. This code section shall also not apply to a weapon which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school; and shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone(this code section does not apply to anyone carrying or transporting a weapon through the zone, or while conducting business while in the zone, or while visiting someone who resides in the zone. Be advised however if you step onto actual school property (while not picking up or dropping off a student), the building or land the building is situated on, then you are in violation even if you have a license. Be careful!) however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound.(16-11-127.1)

aadvark

imported post

WRONG!!!!!!

I have been Arrested in Canton Georgia for Open Carry within a 1000 feet of a Local High School when I Openly Carried into a neighboring Park (that just so happens to be within a 1000 feet of that School). So much for 16-11-127(e) in Atlanta Metropolitan Areas, huh.

Until the Georgia General Assembly fixs this 1000 foot mess, then, this is the Law that we, unfortunately, have to live by.

However, the good news is, because I had a Georgia Firearms License the Judge threw out all Felony School Zone charges.

Nevertheless, that does not mean it is Legal to Open Carry within a 1000 feet of a School.

Promising Legislation, I believe Senate Bills 291 and 308, remove the 1000 foot rule from around Colleges/Universities, and actually make College/University Carry Legal.

However, neither of those two Bills make K-12 Carry Legal, regardless if you have a Permit or not.

Georgia is runnin' scared that if Georgia removes the 'Firearm-Free School-Safety Zones' around K-12 Schools, then, they will lose Federal Dollars for Education.

Personally,I would not doubt it one little bit.