• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So How close are we to being able to conceal in WI?

boostintalon96

imported post

I am just wondering how close we are to making this a reality for us Cheeseheads. Is this something we should be able to look forward to in the next few years?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Personal perspective:

There will be NOTHING in 2010. Too big a chance it will be full of poison, lets work on getting as many people legally arrying as possible, and changing the face of Madison.

I would expect a bill at the beginning of 2011 IF we get the right governor.

I wouldn't expect to see the bill go to the governor until July or August 2011. IF the bill has permits and mandatory training, it would take the rest of 2011 to get the instructors certified by the DOJ as well as get all the "permitting" stuff in place. Permits coming forth Spring - Summer of 2012.

I believe this to be a reasonable schedule based on all the people I have talked with across the state, and I have TRULY traveled the across the state talking to people about both open and concealed carry.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Gonna agree with BNH, I'd say 2012 is a good estimate, but still there is a chance we'll get some of the OC restrictions lifted before then, honestly I'd take being able to OCwithout doing the ole' trunkn jump beforegetting behind the wheel, or having to worry about GFSZ's.

On a side note, you still runnin stock turbos on that 2nd gen?

SAK

imported post

We will also oppose any CC bill that tries to touch open carry. We're looking to remove restrictions on open carry and we will not accept any new ones. OC is the best damn thing Wisconsin has going for it. True RIGHT to carry without a permit.

In the voice of Christopher Walken, "he'd be damned if any ********* was gonna put their ********** hands" on open carry :lol:

Sorry, been working on the Christopher Walken voice lately so I couldn't resist. :celebrate

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lammie wrote:
Concealed Carry or Open carry in Wisconsin?

Article 1 chapter 25:
The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

Article 1 chapter 26:
The people have the right to fish, hunt, trap, and take game subject only to reasonable restrictions as prescribed by law.

Statute 66.0409(2):
No political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possesion, bearing, transportation, licensing. permitting, registration, or taxation of any firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same or similar to and no more stringent than, a state statute.

State v Hamdan (2003):
The supreme court held that not withstanding Article 1 chapter 25 the state has the authority to regulate the manner of carry of firearms therefore the concelaed carry prohibition statute 941.23 was constitutional. The Court also said there were two manners of carry, visible and hidden. The court also declared that if the state intends to prosecute against one manner of carry it must provide for a resonable alternative or yield to the ammendment. The court said that if a person is carrying a firearm for a lawful purpose the burden is on the state to prove it was carried for an unlawful (criminal) purpose. Note: This would tend to "shoot down" the disorderly conduct theory.

State v Hamdan (2003)
The State prosecuters argued that if Hamdan had been wearing his firearm in a holster (visible) he would not have been charged. Governor Doyle was Attorney General at that time and a member of the prosecution.

Governor Doyle's comment as recorded by the Wisconsin Dells Events paper dated March11 2006:
"If you want to carry a gun. Wear it on your hip".

What is significant about the above information?

First:They all support in various degrees the right to open carry firearms in the state of Wisconsin.

Second: They destroy the local ordinance "disorderly conduct" theory. The State doesn't consider the peaceful carry of a firearm as disorderly conduct, therefore, statute 66.0409(2) prohibits local political subdivisions from doing so.

Third: They are all relatively new. All happened after 1995.

Fourth: In regards to open carry they may in combination endow the citizens of Wisconsin with the most liberal firearm carry and ownership rights in the nation.

So, Open carry or concealed carry? What are the pros and cons?

The pros and cons as I see them.

Open carry pros:

. No license requirements. No costly certification requirements. No renewal requirements, Few retricted locations.
1. You can't carry in a school zone unless you live there or are conducting a training class where firearms are required.
2. You can't open carry a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle. 167.31(2)(b).
3. You can't open carry in a goverment building. 941.235.
4. You can't carry a loaded firearm in a place that sells on sale alcohol.

Open carry cons:

Public discomfort.
No background checks.

Open carry personal restrictions:

A person with a handgun must be of legal age. Must not be a convicted felon. Must not be charged with domestic abuse or violence.

Concealed carry pros:

Public comfort.
Background check.

Concealed carry cons: (Information from recently failed Personal Protection Act)

License requirement ($75). Certification classes ($150 - $300). Renewal requirement. Numerous restrictions on carry locations. Carry restrictions at proprietor discretion. Discriminates based on ability to pay.

Concealed carry personal restrictions.

Must be 21 years of age. Must not be a convicted felon. Must not be charged with domestic abuse or violence. Must have a CCW license. Must have evidence of certification training.

Conclusion.

There is no doubt in my mind that the information I cited at the beginning of this post establishes the free right of Wisconsin citizens to open carry firearms for their personal protection. Unfortunately under current social environment doing so would probably make the general public uneasy. I have to admit I would myself feel uneasy if I saw a large number of people walking around with firearms on their hips. That is the one thing concealed carry has going for it "Out of sight. Out of mind." I would not object to some reasonably priced and restricted concealed weapon privilege for those who wish to obtain a permit. I would only accept it on the conditions that it is written as a priviledge and not a right (For example: A drivers license gives one the privlege to drive. Not the right to drive). A privlege may have a price associated with it however, our constitutional rights are priceless. The other condition I have is that a concealed carry statute in no way pre-empts or restricts our current right to open carry. I will in no way sell out my rights just to get on the concealed carry band wagon. I have too many relatives that gave their lives fighting for our rights.

There is one thing that any movement or comittee that intends to resurect the concealed carry initiative should keep in mind. The road to tyranny is built one brick at a time.

The now deceased Personal Protection Act was championed by a number of well meaning, very dedicated individuals that spent many years shedding blood, sweat, tears and dollars.trying to get concealed carry passed. a movement that started before the ammendments and statutes I referenced above were made into law. Unfortunately they were too close to the issue and never stepped back to see what was happening to our firearm laws right under their noses. They were so obsessed and certain of winning that they gave up too many concessions in order to win political support and they were so sure of winning they refused to "upset the apple cart"and modify the bill. I know. I had numerous conversations with WCCA, Rep Gunderson's man Mike Bruhn and Senator Zien on the subject.

By not recognizing the significance of the changes our firearm rights were going through it's my opinion they made the tactical error of not playing the Open vs Concealed card. I think that if many of the political opponents were faced with the choice between many people walking around with visible firearms, with few restrictions and people carrying concealed firearms with numerous restrictions they would have chosen the later and the governor's veto would have been easily overridden.

The above is a post I submitted April 6, 2007 at 11:12AM. I no longer have a discomfort in seeing a bunch of people walking around open carrying and no longer see that as a justification forconcealed carry.Other than that, my opinions are unchanged. Our open carry rights shall not be bartered for conceal carry. We are fortunate the Personal Protection Act failed. Shotgun, Monkeyleg (Dick Baker of Concealed Carry Association) and I had quite a discussion on the subject.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Lammie wrote:
Lammie wrote:

Article 1 chapter 25:
The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

Article 1 chapter 26:
The people have the right to fish, hunt, trap, and take game subject only to reasonable restrictions as prescribed by law.

Statute 66.0409(2):
No political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possesion, bearing, transportation, licensing. permitting, registration, or taxation of any firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same or similar to and no more stringent than, a state statute.

State v Hamdan (2003):
The supreme court held that not withstanding Article 1 chapter 25 the state has the authority to regulate the manner of carry of firearms therefore the concelaed carry prohibition statute 941.23 was constitutional. The Court also said there were two manners of carry, visible and hidden. The court also declared that if the state intends to prosecute against one manner of carry it must provide for a resonable alternative or yield to the ammendment. The court said that if a person is carrying a firearm for a lawful purpose the burden is on the state to prove it was carried for an unlawful (criminal) purpose. Note: This would tend to "shoot down" the disorderly conduct theory.

State v Hamdan (2003)
The State prosecuters argued that if Hamdan had been wearing his firearm in a holster (visible) he would not have been charged. Governor Doyle was Attorney General at that time and a member of the prosecution.

Governor Doyle's comment as recorded by the Wisconsin Dells Events paper dated March11 2006:

First:They all support in various degrees the right to open carry firearms in the state of Wisconsin.

Second: They destroy the local ordinance "disorderly conduct" theory. The State doesn't consider the peaceful carry of a firearm as disorderly conduct, therefore, statute 66.0409(2) prohibits local political subdivisions from doing so.

Fourth: In regards to open carry they may in combination endow the citizens of Wisconsin with the most liberal firearm carry and ownership rights in the nation.

Open carry pros:

. No license requirements. No costly certification requirements. No renewal requirements, Few retricted locations.
1. You can't carry in a school zone unless you live there or are conducting a training class where firearms are required.
2. You can't open carry a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle. 167.31(2)(b).

Open carry cons:

Public discomfort.
No background checks.

A person with a handgun must be of legal age. Must not be a convicted felon. Must not be charged with domestic abuse or violence.

Concealed carry pros:

Public comfort.
Background check.

Concealed carry cons: (Information from recently failed Personal Protection Act)

License requirement ($75). Certification classes ($150 - $300). Renewal requirement. Numerous restrictions on carry locations. Carry restrictions at proprietor discretion. Discriminates based on ability to pay.

Must be 21 years of age. Must not be a convicted felon. Must not be charged with domestic abuse or violence. Must have a CCW license. Must have evidence of certification training.

Conclusion.

There is no doubt in my mind that the information I cited at the beginning of this post establishes the free right of Wisconsin citizens to open carry firearms for their personal protection. Unfortunately under current social environment doing so would probably make the general public uneasy. I have to admit I would myself feel uneasy if I saw a large number of people walking around with firearms on their hips. That is the one thing concealed carry has going for it "Out of sight. Out of mind." I would not object to some reasonably priced and restricted concealed weapon privilege for those who wish to obtain a permit. I would only accept it on the conditions that it is written as a priviledge and not a right (For example: A drivers license gives one the privlege to drive. Not the right to drive). A privlege may have a price associated with it however, our constitutional rights are priceless. The other condition I have is that a concealed carry statute in no way pre-empts or restricts our current right to open carry. I will in no way sell out my rights just to get on the concealed carry band wagon. I have too many relatives that gave their lives fighting for our rights.

There is one thing that any movement or comittee that intends to resurect the concealed carry initiative should keep in mind. The road to tyranny is built one brick at a time.

The now deceased Personal Protection Act was championed by a number of well meaning, very dedicated individuals that spent many years shedding blood, sweat, tears and dollars.trying to get concealed carry passed. a movement that started before the ammendments and statutes I referenced above were made into law. Unfortunately they were too close to the issue and never stepped back to see what was happening to our firearm laws right under their noses. They were so obsessed and certain of winning that they gave up too many concessions in order to win political support and they were so sure of winning they refused to "upset the apple cart"and modify the bill. I know. I had numerous conversations with WCCA, Rep Gunderson's man Mike Bruhn and Senator Zien on the subject.

By not recognizing the significance of the changes our firearm rights were going through it's my opinion they made the tactical error of not playing the Open vs Concealed card. I think that if many of the political opponents were faced with the choice between many people walking around with visible firearms, with few restrictions and people carrying concealed firearms with numerous restrictions they would have chosen the later and the governor's veto would have been easily overridden.
The above is a post I submitted April 6, 2007 at 11:12AM. I no longer have a discomfort in seeing a bunch of people walking around open carrying and no longer see that as a justification forconcealed carry.Other than that, my opinions are unchanged. Our open carry rights shall not be bartered for conceal carry. We are fortunate the Personal Protection Act failed. Shotgun, Monkeyleg (Dick Baker of Concealed Carry Association) and I had quite a discussion on the subject.
Well said. Every participant here on the Wisconsin sub-forum of OpenCarry.org should be required to subscribe and confess this as principal principle or go away.

Given the opportunity, I will bring this to the attention of the town lawyers conference.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Lammie wrote:
Lammie wrote:

Article 1 chapter 25:

Article 1 chapter 26:

Statute 66.0409(2):

State v Hamdan (2003):

State v Hamdan (2003)

Open carry pros:

Open carry cons:

Public discomfort.
No background checks.

A person with a handgun must be of legal age. Must not be a convicted felon. Must not be (Convicted of) charged with domestic abuse or violence.
Other than that there has to be an order to turn over any firearms by the court. Without that order one can carry legally.
Concealed carry pros:

Public comfort.
Background check.

Must be 21 years of age. Must not be a convicted felon. Must not be (Convicted)charged with domestic abuse or violence. Must have a CCW license. Must have evidence of certification training.

Conclusion.

To be honest, the only thing we will gain with CCW is that you can tuck the firearm under your clothing. Nothing more.

There will still be the same restrictions as we have with open carry. So with that in mind is it even worth fighting for?

Not to mention that your right will then be a privilege and can be taken away at any time for any reason local LEO decide on.

As far as Governors go, well I know one candidate that stated publicly that he would look to us for help in wording an appropriate no compromise OCW/CCW non-permitted carry bill that he would sign into law within his first 90 days in office. But he is not a career politician so many here will not support him.

Not so sure it is worth the fight otherwise, but that's just my .02

Archangel

imported post

Unfortunately until you guys ditch Jim Doyle the chances are slim.

It would be nice to come back to my home state and carry legally though.

I won't OC in Wisconsin now since if I end up with a problem with the police I'll have even more issues as a non-WI resident... Sucks.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

ColdBlueSteel wrote:
Unfortunately until you guys ditch Jim Doyle the chances are slim.

It would be nice to come back to my home state and carry legally though.

I won't OC in Wisconsin now since if I end up with a problem with the police I'll have even more issues as a non-WI resident... Sucks.
Doyle is ditching himself. He's not running for reelection. There is no guarantee his successor will be any more inclined to support a change in the CC law.

Fireball357

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Personal perspective:

There will be NOTHING in 2010. Too big a chance it will be full of poison, lets work on getting as many people legally arrying as possible, and changing the face of Madison.

I would expect a bill at the beginning of 2011 IF we get the right governor.

I wouldn't expect to see the bill go to the governor until July or August 2011. IF the bill has permits and mandatory training, it would take the rest of 2011 to get the instructors certified by the DOJ as well as get all the "permitting" stuff in place. Permits coming forth Spring - Summer of 2012.

I believe this to be a reasonable schedule based on all the people I have talked with across the state, and I have TRULY traveled the across the state talking to people about both open and concealed carry.

Agreed;

I think a strategy of systematically repealing/reversing the statutes that restrict carry of any method with the final repeal of State Statute 941.23 would be the ultimate goal.

I feel the creating of any [/b]new legislation opens the door to compromising and bastardization of the intent.

The intent being: the ability to carry a firearm anywhere; anytime; any method; without restriction!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

OK, here's a toughie.

What and when was the last criminal statute relating to guns, that's like Chapter 9?? with the word gun/firearm in it, when was one repealed? Dum dee da da, dum de da da, dump de dump dump dump. OK, time's up.

You don't get a thousand chapters and ten thousand pages by repealing laws, or the page that humped the lawyer broke.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug:

That's not a toughie. The answer is never.

The only way we will get out from under the concealed weapon statute is if it is modified to allow some form of highly restrictive concealed carry or if by some miracle it is finally found unconstitutional by the State Supreme Court.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My opinion.

J. Gleason is correct. The only thing concealed carry will buy us is the permission to carry the firearm on our body out of sight. It will do nothing in regards to GFSZ which requires the firearm to be unloaded and encased. It will do nothing in regards to vehicle carry. It will probably eliminate the vehicle out of reach dilemma and out of normal view problem but remember, 167.31 requires that a firearm in or on a vehicle must be unloaded and contained in a lawful carrying case. A holster is not considered a lawful container for transporting a firearm in or on a vehicle. Besides needing to have the firearm unloaded makes personal protection while in a vehicle a moot point.

Certainly a concealed carry provision would not allow carry in a government building or carry of a handgun in a tavern without owner permission. In fact, I suspect other places of prohibition would be added in order to win enough votes for passage of a concealed carry privilege.

Our best chances for a meaningful personal protection plan is through the courts and convincing the legislature to modify existing statutes. So far we have been very successful in court and at the AG level. I see signs that the legislature is less paranoid over guns than it has been. A gun-rights governor and some victories at the polling booths could be just what is needed to turn the tide. I think that is where we should direct our attention during this election year.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Lammie wrote:
My opinion.

J. Gleason is correct. The only thing concealed carry will buy us is the permission to carry the firearm on our body out of sight. It will do nothing in regards to GFSZ which requires the firearm to be unloaded and encased. [I disagree. The statute clearly mentions license. In most states, the CCW permit is said license, GFSZ no longer a problem]It will do nothing in regards to vehicle carry. [Again here, I disagree. UT, MN laws for example, allow fully armed in the vehicle while in motion.]It will probably eliminate the vehicle out of reach dilemma and out of normal view problem but remember, 167.31 requires that a firearm in or on a vehicle must be unloaded and contained in a lawful carrying case. A holster is not considered a lawful container for transporting a firearm in or on a vehicle. Besides needing to have the firearm unloaded makes personal protection while in a vehicle a moot point.

Certainly a concealed carry provision would not allow carry in a government building or carry of a handgun in a tavern without owner permission. [Why not? There you go giving in before the bill is even drafted.] In fact, I suspect other places of prohibition would be added in order to win enough votes for passage of a concealed carry privilege. [Then we KILL it]

Our best chances for a meaningful personal protection plan is through the courts and convincing the legislature to modify existing statutes. So far we have been very successful in court and at the AG level. I see signs that the legislature is less paranoid over guns than it has been. A gun-rights governor and some victories at the polling booths could be just what is needed to turn the tide. I think that is where we should direct our attention during this election year.
Agreed, kick all the anti constitutional rights prostitutes out.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
You don't get a thousand chapters and ten thousand pages by repealing laws, or the page that humped the lawyer broke.

Hah! I believe I agree with you Doug.

We have confirmed our individual rights to openly carry yes. And we have all done a hell of a job so far repealing or stopping ordinances and fighting LEO harrassment.

Now we move on to a whole different story book, actual state legislation.

1.)Wisconsin Carryis whoopin butt by challenging the GSFZ

2.) Where does the legislature seem to be? Look at the uncased bill and how it was trimmed down so it wouldn't help law abiding citizens protect themselves AT ALL. They looked at the original bill and said "No we can't allow this for wisconsin residents!" The sentiment in Madison sucks.

3.) The first step before any CCW is considered is to repeal legislation, thats were I agree with Doug in the sense that it's gunna b hard as hell.....

Lets just hope we can get some candidates with some balls!!