• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does this Online class really count for CC Permit in Prince William County?

REL1203

imported post

Finally decided to get my CC Permit, and started looking at options for the class and came across this one, but wanted to get opinions just on if it counts for the requirement? I understand an online training is certainly not the same as in person training with live fire, but was just curios if this would satisfy the requirement for the CCP in Prince William County?

http://www.concealed-carry.net/virginia-law.php

Any ideas?

Thanks

t33j

imported post

Sure. Can't say I'd advocate it tho.

As an aside I tried the sample test and here is the first question:

Question 1: Incorrect

True or False: In Virginia, if a landowner posts a "No Firearms" sign, you must respect his wishes and not carry a firearm on his property, open or concealed.

Correct Answer: True
Your response: False

I thought that there was no requirement to acknowledge a sign... only an actual request by the property owner for you to leave / disarm. IIRC part of the justification had to do with not knowing if the actual property owner posted the sign.

hunter45

imported post

t33j wrote:
Sure. Can't say I'd advocate it tho.

As an aside I tried the sample test and here is the first question:

Question 1: Incorrect

True or False: In Virginia, if a landowner posts a "No Firearms" sign, you must respect his wishes and not carry a firearm on his property, open or concealed.

Correct Answer: True
Your response: False

I thought that there was no requirement to acknowledge a sign... only an actual request by the property owner for you to leave / disarm. IIRC part of the justification had to do with not knowing if the actual property owner posted the sign.

You're reading too far into the question IMO.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

REL1203 wrote:
Finally decided to get my CC Permit, and started looking at options for the class and came across this one, but wanted to get opinions just on if it counts for the requirement? I understand an online training is certainly not the same as in person training with live fire, but was just curios if this would satisfy the requirement for the CCP in Prince William County?

http://www.concealed-carry.net/virginia-law.php

Any ideas?

Thanks
State preemption - all municipalities have same requirements.

Answer is "Yes" and live fire is not a requirement.

Military service w/DD214 or Hunter Safety certificate et al is good too.

Read:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Yata hey

t33j

imported post

Meh
It asked a direct question, I gave a direct answer.
I'm curious about this one now.

TFred

imported post

t33j wrote:
Meh
It asked a direct question, I gave a direct answer.
I'm curious about this one now.
I doubt the test was reviewed by a lawyer. I suspect they are aiming for the idea that property rights trump your CHP. I doubt they have a clue about the specifics of notification and how it relates to trespass law.

Lowest common denominator, remember.

TFred

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Here's what they say on their website under "FAQ": "1. OurMost Frequently Asked Question: Are you surethis classwill be acceptedby my circuit court? Yes.Our certificateis acceptedbyevery circuit court in Virginia for resident permit issuance, and by the Virginia State Police for their issuance of non-resident permits.Since July 1, 2009, it must be accepted as a matter of law."

That constitutes a warranty and a promise. If it turns out not to be true, you can sue them under the Virginia Consumer Protection Act and get a minimum of five hundred bucks plus costs, interest, and attorneys' fees.

I've checked with the NRA, by the way, to see whether they have any objection to my using my NRA teaching credentials to justify giving a certificate for those who attend my firearms law seminar to use in support of the "proficiency" part of the Va. CHP application. They told me they had no objection. So if the folks who actually certify completion of the online course are NRA certified instructors, then that meets the requirements of VA. Code section 18.2-308.

Neither my seminar nor the online course will teach a person how to fire a gun. And in my view, that's sort of like the old joke about "Where did you get your driver's license, Sears-Roebuck?"

Va. Code section 18.2-308: "...O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property. ..." Violating the rules set out by a property owner for entry upon his property is a violation of the license he has granted, and constitutes trespassing. Doesn't matter how he communicates his prohibition, by sign or otherwise. If he says, "no firearms allowed", and you bring a firearm, that's trespassing, both criminal and civil.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

user Your answers are always simple enough for even me to understand.

Looking forward to one of your classes near Richmond.

Yata hey

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

And in my view, that's sort of like the old joke about "Where did you get your driver's license, Sears-Roebuck?"
Don't laugh, that's essentially how I got mine, some 42 years ago. Arrived in Vietnam, almost no driving experience. My job involved driving, and my lieutenant insisted I have a license. Went to a nearby Army motor pool (my unit was a seven-man unit with limited resources), asked to get a license. "Can you drive?" asked the Motor Sergeant. "Of course I can," I replied. I could, but just not very well, and especially not in a standard-transmission vehicle. "Here's your license," he responded.

I then went out, license in hand, and learned how to handle a manual-transmission M-37B1 3/4-ton truck (for those old enough to remember, you needed two arms and a leg to turn the steering wheel). When I got out of the Army, I went to the local state motor vehicle office, showed them my discharge papers and Army driver's license, and they accepted it as an out-of-state transfer. Been driving every since, with no driver's test (written or hands-on).

Not quite Sears-Roebuck, but close enough.

TFred

imported post

Well I guess I'm all confused then... have we not had multiple threads here about malls, or stores with multiple entrances, and proof of notice with regard to fine print on signs?

I sure thought our previous conclusion was that as long as you left when asked, you were pretty safe.

Now you're saying I have to check every door, and read signs with a magnifying glass?

How is that different?

TFred

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think the distinction is that if posted yes you are tresspassing, however for a charge to stick it must be proven that you were given effective notice. Obviously remaining after you were verbally commanded to leave would be trespassing. I do believe that is what case law says but I don't have a cite.

I'm curious why they put that in the test when all one needs is safety training to get a CHP. There is nothing wrong with having more knowledge in this area but one could design a simpler course that meets the requirement.

AIC869

imported post

G3SecurityGroup.com wrote:
We offer classes that exceed the requirements.

http://www.G3SecurityGroup.Com
Not knocking your course at all, but for many who are already familiar with firearms and firearm safety but only need documentation that they have officially received instruction, $39.99 < $110-130.

Now that said, for an individual with no firearms experience whatsoever, $110-130 is a reasonably priced course that would provide them with personal insight, the ability to ask questions, etc. Just an observation.