• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

31st. Annual Town Lawyers Conference, 30 April 2010 by UW Law School and Wisconsin Towns Association

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I don't yet know what will be the protocol for this conference. Preemptively, while I can still plead ignorance, I suggest two legal difficulties that are important to a legally armed citizen of Wisconsin.

§167.31 and §941.23 seem to make it impossible to go about ones business in an automobile and legally wearing a gun. I tried to demonstrate this difficulty in a video http://www.vimeo.com/6115265

§66.0409 is ignored by most towns to the detriment of citizens desiring to go about their business while legally armed. Often local LEA use a prohibited town ordinance to harass armed citizens, perhaps falling back on charges of disorderly conduct with the weapons enhancement.

Thank you for this opportunity and your attention.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Well, I'm off to this conference in a few hours. I am amazed at how my impression of Wisconsin's legally armed citizens has changed in the mere month that has passed since the OP. I, as I noted, don't know how this conference will be conducted. I also don't know just how I will characterize this community, as stereotyped here, if asked.

My personal and formal goal is to keep my own counsel and learn. Informally, I would like to establish a personal acquaintance in the Door Co. DA's office for reasons beyond gun activism.
Either we are equal or we are not. Present company excepted. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn the Obamanation and its thugs.