Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Dress Code

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Hi All,

I've done a bit of thinking. Since we are the de facto face of the gun rights movement - It would seem prudent to make sure that we are presentable to the public whenever we're in public.

I don't think this means that we should always be wearing our sunday best - but I do think that we shouldn't dress like we just came back from hunting, or like we haven't done laundry in a month or two.

This holds especially true for the bigger events we host - since those draw press attention, we should be on the top of our game, and that includes dressing well.

I don't know what all of the rules should be, and I don't think that the rules are set in stone, so to speak. What say you all?

Post imported post

Aw man...does that mean I have to sew all my sleeves back on... :P
    I agree...but.... let the flames begin...

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Post imported post

First I will say I agree, but second Congress men and womendress nice and there still trash.

Post imported post

I think you are on to something Zig.

I think clean and neat, No Slogans that are offensive, IE no FBI federal Booty Inspector type shirts or hats, I tend to wear button or polo shirts and on occasion like today (riding the bike) a long sleeved patriotic T-shirt.

I also think that as the ambassadors of the firearms owners in this state we should be mindful of our personal appearance at all times. This includes a neatly trimmed beard if you wear one and clean shaved if you don't.

For the Gentleman and Ladies remember we are here for gun rights not skin rights so while you may like to run around in the summer scantily attired. At an OC picnic may not be the best place to show off all those tattoos.

NOTE these are my opinions and NOT the opinions of MOC in general.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    I think you are on to something Zig.

I think clean and neat, No Slogans that are offensive, IE no FBI federal Booty Inspector type shirts or hats, I tend to wear button or polo shirts and on occasion like today (riding the bike) a long sleeved patriotic T-shirt.

I also think that as the ambassadors of the firearms owners in this state we should be mindful of our personal appearance at all times. This includes a neatly trimmed beard if you wear one and clean shaved if you don't.

For the Gentleman and Ladies remember we are here for gun rights not skin rights so while you may like to run around in the summer scantily attired. At an OC picnic may not be the best place to show off all those tattoos.

NOTE these are my opinions and NOT the opinions of MOC in general.
    I second all of this and what Zig said. I always try to carry myself in a professional manner when OCing...that includes how I dress. At least a polo shirt and decent jeans at the minimum.

It's hard not to look good with a shoulder holstered 1911

Post imported post

im always a jeans and tucked in flannel kind've guy.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

I guess I automatically fall outside the realm of decent appearance. I wear clean clothes, usually jeans and a t-shirt, tucked in, but I have tattoos that show even in a t-shirt.

eta:I agree wholeheartedly that looking like a scrub while trying to portray "decent American citizens" is counter-productive, but I don't see tattoos making ones appearance that detrimental. I am who I am, tattoos or not, but I am a person who takes care of his appearance, ie. hygiene, clean clothing. haircuts, etc. I don't believe a tank top in summertime, which would show off most of my tats, should be a concern.

"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Fixed.

Post imported post

I knew this would..... nevermind

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Post imported post

Im rockin my Slipknot shirt & jeans. I'm in business casual like 99% of the time. When im relaxing its a metal shirt jeans an gym shoes which Im OC'n in right now.

Mike

Post imported post

Ones Attitude , Demeanor , the way One projects thyself . Appearance Does Matter Also ! IMHO

Post imported post

normally I try to look presentable polo shirt and blue jean shorts or some sort of pants!!!!

Post imported post

I agree, I try not to ever go out looking like a "slob". I always have my shirt tucked in and wear clean presentable clothes, usually nice jeans and a shirt that fits well enough to not be bunched up and baggy when tucked in. Even when I am having a less than great day, I make the extra effort to be pleasant and approachable.

Having said all this; do I have to do any of these things? Of course not! I could have the attitude of " it's my right, screw you!" but the fact is: anyone who does open carry DOES represent open carry whether they want to or not. I may never talk to someone in a store (I have) about open carry but, they will see me and what they perceive will be reality to them. How I look, how I act, how I present myself, will color their view even if they never meet me. Attitude is one of the biggest factors as has been mentioned before. For those of us who do open carry, what someone is wearing may not be a big deal. Me personally, if I were to see someone else wearing a Slipknot t-shirt, ripped jeans, tat's up and down their arm with a gun on their hip, I would think: "SWEET! Someone who open carries!" It's all a little tricky with the public and their media induced perception of people.

When it's all said in done, we need to do our best everyday to be the best representative we can be. What that means could be as varied as the people who do it! Striving to do it, that's where it's at.

Post imported post

Let me see, gangsta style pants/shorts are out, with them hanging around my knees, they'd be too far out of reach. Besides, my gun would pull my pants down to the ground. Maybe a baseball cap worn sideways.

Darn, I can't think of any way to dress that looks bad. I suppose I could take some jeans and cut some strategic holes in them.

Then if I can find a T-shirt with a Confederate battle flag on it. Or maybe get one custom made that says "Protected by S&W." Problem is, that's a lie. I don't currently own any S&W products. Well, I'm sure I can find something from the Patriot Depot.

Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    Aw man...does that mean I have to sew all my sleeves back on... :P
    I agree...but.... let the flames begin...

Post imported post

I 100% agree. Looking the part is important. When I OC, I always get asked if I'm a police officer, mostly because I don't look like a Hell's Angel. Perception is reality...if the general public perceives us as slobbish losers who carry, then that's what we become.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Hi All,

I've done a bit of thinking. Since we are the de facto face of the gun rights movement - It would seem prudent to make sure that we are presentable to the public whenever we're in public.

I don't think this means that we should always be wearing our sunday best - but I do think that we shouldn't dress like we just came back from hunting, or like we haven't done laundry in a month or two.

This holds especially true for the bigger events we host - since those draw press attention, we should be on the top of our game, and that includes dressing well.

I don't know what all of the rules should be, and I don't think that the rules are set in stone, so to speak. What say you all?
    I politely disagree, we are free to wear what ever is allowed. We have discussed this topic before and I find it distasteful on it's premise. While people are judged on how they appear, they to are judge on a variety of other things, like speech, body type, body art, etc.

I don't think "we " can tell anyone anything. As free people we have to make these decisions on our own. Dress is a personal decision and an expression of that person. People dress in a variety of styles for a variety of reasons. Some reasons are; comfort, financial, religious, practical, etc.

So please dress however you want, as a dress code for going about in publicis going down a slippery slope.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Vernator, I understand and partly agree with you too. Maybe a happy medium is not too much to ask. If a group of guys OCing are all looking like John Rambo or Travis Bickle(Taxi Driver), that just might put a bad face on MOC and the OC movement(not to mention increase LEO contact by a huge percentage). Of course this is a free country, so do as you will.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Hi All,

I politely disagree, we are free to wear what ever is allowed. We have discussed this topic before and I find it distasteful on it's premise. While people are judged on how they appear, they to are judge on a variety of other things, like speech, body type, body art, etc.

I don't think "we " can tell anyone anything. As free people we have to make these decisions on our own. Dress is a personal decision and an expression of that person. People dress in a variety of styles for a variety of reasons. Some reasons are; comfort, financial, religious, practical, etc.

So please dress however you want, as a dress code for going about in publicis going down a slippery slope.
    That slippery slope that the new officers of MOC are going down appears to be resulting in a much more favorable view by the general public in the last week.

Maybe there is something to this.

So I have to agree with zig's advice when the group is represented in public events, and especially to the media.

Post imported post

I don't think a dress code per say is needed. It is more a teach by example kind of thing.

Remember some folks are not as blessed as others in examples of how they should appear in public!

Wear and act how you want but remember YOU are the face of the gun owning public that everyone YOU interact with will remember.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Personal hygiene, attitude, clothing (to a certain extent), I can agree with, but really, isn't this just another form of stereotyping and oppression? Tattoos? Facial hair? Really?
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Venator wrote:

For people out and about solo and even for the general membership, I wholeheartedly agree. Outside of age limitations and exorberant fees, the point of OC is to make life easier. To make the fact that you carry a non-hassle, as much as that is possible. One should not be expected to alter their routine and habits because they are carrying.

However, I do strongly disagree in the case of members making media appearances and for MOC leadership at formal events. You can be true to your values, but if you are a salesperson, you had better well make an impresison if you want to be considered seriously. Otherwise, you might want to consider another line of work.

A last piece on the media appearance thing, you don't always have a chance to put on the fancy-pants. I suppose you just have to play those by ear.
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

Like I said personal opinion. I know that certain behaviors make it hard to get a high paying job and inappropriate tattoos and mangy facial hair are two of those. Like it or not people profile based on how we look. How we dress and act needs to be appropriate for the venue and type of people we are trying to reach.

I don't think a written dress code is needed for adults to figure this out but there is no reason not to have skull sessions on here about it to help those that may wonder how to dress and act to know what is best for the particular event they are attending.

Questions that I ask myself when deciding how to dress for an event.

1. is this an informal meet or a Seminar/Info Booth

2. Is the venue a place where there is a dress code?

3. what type of people typically frequent this venue and how do they dress and behave?

Some answers

Beach event = shorts sandals and a t-shirt

Meet and Eat = casual dress unless is a fancy place with a dress code.

Picnic in a park Casual much like the Beach event.

Seminar = Business Casual for the presenters and Casual for anyone else that is helping.

For what it's worth the only types of t-shirts I don't like are ones that are derogatory towards a specific group of people. That said wear what you like you are a consenting adult

NOTE these are my opinions and in no way represent an MOC official position!

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast