• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

recommendation for a defensive handgun or concealed carry class

kchau

imported post

I know that we dont need to take a class here in WA for a cpl, but i'd still like to take one.

is it worth doing the class for those UTAH concealed permits and getting the utah permit as well?

any recommendations?

samaloney2006

imported post

:celebrateYes. Website, firearmsacademyofseattle.com/360 978 6100. I have been there a couple of times. More if I could. I am a resident of Washington but live in Hawaii. Makes it tough.HAnyway they are in the Centralia/Chehalis area. Not to far from you. Marty and Gila hayes run it. Fantastic place for class.Everyone there is a certified NRA insructor. I try to manage my trips home around a class. Good luck. Ifyou talk to them tell them the guy from Hawaii sent you. They know who Iam.:D

FMCDH

imported post

I would suggest either a Utah or Florida permit for the purposes of the greatest non-resident reciprocity. Since Florida now honors the Washington permit, it pretty much makes Utah and Florida a dead heat by 1 state for reciprocity purposes.

Check this map out and take a look the states that are different between Utah and Florida.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

If your feeling so inclined and have the money, get both! :)

Bo

imported post

For classes in Washington state, the only place to go is FAS. I strongly concur with samaloney ...

There are some gunshops with ranges that offer classes on occasion, and I have no firsthand experience with them (only postive feedback I've heard is about the Marksman in Puyallup, have heard much negative about a couple other places, esp. one on the East side of the sound) but if you want great instruction, worthwhile curriculum and a fun time -- FAS. Also, Mas Ayoob comes up here once a year or so and does classes at FAS. Good times.

Content of the Utah class is rather a joke (very basic), but if you want a Utah permit, you have to fork over the bucks.If you don't desire a Utah license, forgo it. Can get FL license w/out a class if you are a military vet (copy of DD 214).

If you want to spend some big bucks ($1400 for a few days), get down to Thunder Ranch in Oregon and spend time with Clint Smith and his crew.

kchau

imported post

Everything does cost money, but what would be the best bang for the buck?

Seems like a basic defensive handgun class averages around 350.

Bo

imported post

Firearms Academy of Seattle, hands-down best bang for your buck without leaving the state.

Stein

imported post

Another vote for FAS, I just took the Defensive Handgun course and look forward to the next one as soon as I can round up the dough. I also took the Handgun Safety Seminar 3 years ago and all four or five instructors I have dealt with are absolute professionals and excellent teachers. They were able to help me fix a few things I didn't know I was even doing.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I agree with the vote for FAS. I teach just basic stuff and theory. Warrior mentality and philosophy and lies like that, but 15 min of reading Bear 45/70's posts will do as well.

I have been taught by Marty, Massad and Sid Woodcock and there is nothing like FAS in the State. FAS is simply the best foundation in the State for training. No nonsense, lots of hands on strong drill and shooting. I went there and did the whole set of pistol courses, plus shotgun. The low light stuff is great. All these auto guys need to learn the malfunction drills anyway.:lol:

Wheelgunner

imported post

kchau wrote:

Take FAS 2. This is the straight nuts as bolts shooting course with drills and both long range and short range shooting, low light and draw and fire. You will really know your weapon after taking this course. Be sure to read the equipment section.

killchain

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
kchau wrote:

Take FAS 2. This is the straight nuts as bolts shooting course with drills and both long range and short range shooting, low light and draw and fire. You will really know your weapon after taking this course. Be sure to read the equipment section.
Good way to get some training on the cheap too... if you are in good with a police officer, maybe you could tag along to one of their training events.

Probably won't get a certificate or anything but you could learn some good stuff. Just a thought.