Thread: Chromed vs. unchromed bore

Post imported post

Guys tell me your thoughts on barrels that are not chrome lined.

I was looking at the PTR91 web site and it says TC makes their barrels but they aren't chrome lined. I understood the chrome lining to add a degree of hardness to the bore, making cleaning easier. Conversely, I've heard that the rifling is more crisp on unchromed bores, leading to (potentially) greater accuracy.

Those with expertise, educate me please.

Post imported post

Your largely correct. Chrome lininga barrel is done primarily as a corrosion resistance measure. It makes the barrel easier to clean, and is less likely to rust. Chrome is also preferable if your going to be out doors for extended periods of time, hunting/camping, etc. For target, Steel bores can be lapped (usually with a set of specially made rounds) and regarding target bores, are usually smoother. Now, the big issue would be, what are you buying the firearm for? If your looking for long range pin point accuracy, and plan to maintain that fine target bore, and assuming you-yourself are capable of shooting with that accuracy, then cool, Steel is great. However, if your "just gonna shoot it", or you know yourself to be an average shot, then i would probably go with a chrome lined bore. All in all, i feel Chrome lined to have many more advantages than disadvantages when compared to Steel bore. You ultimately need to analyse how your using the arm, an if chrome lined or steel will fit your needs better. If you only shoot the arm a little, and it will mostly be indoors, then i don think it'll matter too much, just clean it and oil it after shooting - especially straight steel. Also noteworthy, as we improve our technology, the chrome lined bores are getting better, smoother, and thus gain even more benefits.

- Food for thought.

Bat

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Whether or not you will be shooting corrosive ammo is the primary factor I think. Then how much weather exposure, especially near salt water.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Whether or not you will be shooting corrosive ammo is the primary factor I think. Then how much weather exposure, especially near salt water.
    Unchromed bores killed many soldiers in Vietnam, so did poor powder choice and no training in cleaning the M-16. One solution was to Cr the bore and barrel, among other parts. If you clean your gun after you fire it, don't worry. If you don't, do it unless Cr or stainless, and you'll never have a problem.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

As long as we are on the topic, is there a problem with using steel cased ammo in a chromed chamber/barrel? Will the steel case scratch up the chrome or otherwise damage it?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Actually, the cleaning aspect is secondary when talking about chrome lined barrels. The primary reason for chrome lined barrels is to increase longevity of the part and accuracy over many, many rounds of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

catass wrote:
    Actually, the cleaning aspect is secondary when talking about chrome lined barrels. The primary reason for chrome lined barrels is to increase longevity of the part and accuracy over many, many rounds of use.
    It wasn't secondary in Vietnam. Though not the main cause of failures, it was a contributer.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V