• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Second Amendement March

imported post

I think an armed march is necessary at the Second Amendment March and will have a far greater impact. An unarmed march is pointless and will not send the message ofto our elected officials that we will not comply with immoral and unconstitutional laws. In otherwords, an act of civil disobedience is necessaryto achieve the desired outcome. I know people are concerned about the legal consequences of open carrying in the District of Columbia, but if enough people open carry theycan not and will notbe able to arrest all of us.

OC4me

imported post

DC may simply cancel the 'permit' ahead of time citing an organized attempt to 'break' DC law. Better to carry empty holsters this year because the inability to exercise the Second Amendment is the whole point of the march in the first place.

If you still want to risk arrest I have two suggestions, first post about this idea in the District of Columbia forum and see what those guys think will happen to you.

Carry something like a flintlock. Such a firearm has tremendous symbolic speech value in this country and was once the 'assault weapon' of its day. Technically these antique weapons are not covered under DC law (caution, I'm not a lawyer) and the DC police will look all the more silly on national television when their SWAT team face plants you! (which I hope they don't...but we are talking about DC here).

Thundar

imported post

Be careful openly carrying flint lock or cap and ball antiques, or replicas thereof. IMHO you are correct in stating that flintlock pistols are not covered under the DC law. Of course that is my opinion, YMMV. I strongly recommend that you DONOT bring a long gun, antique or modern, as these areprohibited under different laws that are quite clear.

IMHO if the NPS cancels the 2A March, at this late time, it will have no bearing on the assembley that WILL take place on the National Mall. It will only create significant tension for everybody, and keep us from hearing patriotic speeches.

Thundar

imported post

If Palmer v.DC goes the way we think it will go, and Gura's text of proposed order is signed byJudge Kennedy, then we might be able to carry legally. The timelines are about right, as the case was heard on 22 Jan and it usually takes about 3 months for the case to be heard....

(I can dream, can't I?)

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But what you can do without breaking the DC laws, and get your reps attention....

I filled in my reps web page form for visiting constituents, under special needs I put
"DC carry permit". This really got me some attention. 5 phone messages in 3 days.
First one on a Saturday morning no less. Just wanted to let them know I was going
to be there and I own and carry.:cool:
Now if thousands do the same, the pannicing caller will loose her voice leaving all
those very long messages about how bad it is to have a gun in their crime free
safe city. If anyone has a longer answering machine and can get the phone number
let me know. I have the area code already.:lol:

Now if we have any lawyers....
If I get a hotel room in DC, can I use the federal travel laws to go from here
to my residence in the district, keep gun in my lawful abode there. Then
carry under federal law into VA, and back to hotel, and finally home.
I think I can make a lockable side arm holster to comply with the federal law
while on foot and traveling. If the wife carries the key, and ammo it will be
out of my immediat access while on my hip per federal transport law.
I can find nothing that says the lockable case cannot be shaped like the gun inside.
And I could get a feel for those poor california breathen.
ULC carry. (Unloaded Locked Case). I assume they DC police need RAS before they can
open a locked gun case, and I can't comply to unlawful orders, as I have no means
to open it.

ianto94

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Now if we have any lawyers....
If I get a hotel room in DC, can I use the federal travel laws to go from here
to my residence in the district, keep gun in my lawful abode there. Then
carry under federal law into VA, and back to hotel, and finally home.
I think I can make a lockable side arm holster to comply with the federal law
while on foot and traveling. If the wife carries the key, and ammo it will be
out of my immediat access while on my hip per federal transport law.
I can find nothing that says the lockable case cannot be shaped like the gun inside.
And I could get a feel for those poor california breathen.
ULC carry. (Unloaded Locked Case). I assume they DC police need RAS before they can
open a locked gun case, and I can't comply to unlawful orders, as I have no means
to open it.
No. Under the Federal law you must be legal where you start and where you end up. You would not be legal in DC in your hotel room because the gun will not be registered in DC and they will not likely register the gun for you without something that says you are a DC resident and your hotel registration won't do it. If you carry the gun on your hip in whatever configuration you choose you will likely be charged with the felony of Carrying a Pistol Without a License (And they do not issue licenses-- Catch 22). You are allowed to transport a handgun in a locked case, unloaded, for the purpose of taking it to the police station to register it. But as I said, they will not register it under your circumstances.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So once again DC is sh*tt*ng on Heller. If the SCOTUS says you have a constitutional
right to have a gun in your residence when in DC, then how can there be any wiggle room?

But thanks for the idea, as traveling over state line to take gun in for permit, I will
be following the law. Do you have to leave the locked container with DC police?
I could leave the gun there, have one that is already in system so they can't
fingerprint it again. Would love to see the look on there faces when it tracks
to a few armed robberies. Then pick it up when I leave and carry it back home.
Oh the looks on their faces when I put it in a locked case and strap it to my hip
for the subway ride over the border to america to get my car.
Guess I need to get my rep to work gathering the paperwork for me.

Oh well, after this week there will no longer be any federal laws. Once congress and
the president trash the document that grants them the authority to make laws, they
will have nullified all the federal laws anyways. I have faith they will not vote on the
senate bill and thereby leave the constitution in tact.

ianto94

imported post

I would suggest before you do anythingin terms of bringing a gun into the District that youcall the Sargeant of the Firearms Registration Branch and tell him what you intend to do. Better that than getting arrested or having your handgun confiscated. The number is 202 727-4275.

OC4me

imported post

D.C. Second Amendment March Rules and Code of Conduct

• 1) NO UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARMS.
  • 2) If you do not intend to comply with item #1, do not attend.
  • 3) If you break the law, Second Amendment March will not be responsible.
  • 4) It is each attendee's own personal responsibility to be familiar with the firearm laws in the areas in which he/she will be traveling.
  • 5) Please be courteous to everyone you encounter, including D.C. police and National Park Service rangers.
  • 6) Please be sure to dispose of all trash. Let's strive to leave the grounds in better condition than when we arrive.
  • 7) If you have any concerns while at the event, please notify a volunteer or event organizer immediately.
  • 8) Your attendance at the Second Amendment March indicates your intent to comply with these rules/code of conduct and all local and federal laws.

The above is from The Second Amendment March newsletter. While I sympathize with anyone who wishes to carry a firearm at the event, if you do so you are on your own. Remember, it is the inability to carry that we are protesting in the first place, while making the point that we all are law-abiding citizens (even the laws we know to be disagreeable).

cato

imported post

Why risk becoming a felon this close to have a court protected right? It was not marching in the streets that got us Heller or McDonald.

And if the courts find licensing 'reasonable' and you did not apply for a carry license you'll be convicted and a felon and SOL whenever the 'protected' right is finally adjudicated and 'fleshed out'.

This march will do nothing...The million mom march did nothing...500,000 in LA for 'immigration' reform did nothing, marches do nothing. How many will be in this march? Several hundred, several thousand, 20 thousand? It will still do nothing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Simple - the organizers of this march have requested that everyone obey the law and NOT carry. End of story. Finis.

Yata hey

M

McX

imported post

so how did it go? i saw an article on it in our local paper. anyone got pics to post?

Dreamer

imported post

OMG!!!

Did you guys see all the media coverage of the DC March?

Cameras from CNN, MSNBC, CSPAN, and all the major Networks!!! Reporters milling around talking to all the people and doing interviews! Independent media! Bloggers!

And then there was the massive police turnout--WOW. I thought DC metro, the USPP, and DHS were going to mess their drawers because of all the free speech!--all decked out in their full riot gear, toting M-4's and 12-ga shotguns. Not to mention the 15 Hummers with M-60's mounted, and the 2 UAV drones flying surveillance. Wow!

And those "Anti's" out in the street shouting you guys down and throwing little pink Marshmellow Peeps at you was just hysterical!!!

The only bad thing was the 15 Negligent Discharges that happened (between the two marches)--luckily nobody was injured. And the fact that EVERYONE who turned out was overweight, illiterate, white male rednecks was a little disappointing...

Oh, yeah, wait a minute. That was just the dream I had last night after that REALLY spicy Chinese takeout I had for dinner... :banghead:

Yeah, now I remember what REALLY happened:

It was an ENTIRELY PEACEFUL gathering, and a media non-event, because the media was all over in VA, trying to get footage of the "radicals" at the Armed March, and producing and airing spin programs propagating more lies and propaganda about Waco and OKC, and trying to connect those events with the modern-day Tea Party and the 2A movement.

The crowd consisted of women, and kids, and people of ALL walks fo life, and even some minorites. Young, old, middle-aged, all sorts of folks.

And unlike the government-sponsored agent provocateurs and undercover police that infiltrate other protests and cause all the troubles at the G20 events, NOBODY was wearing a mask. (you can ALWAYS tell where the infiltrating LEO's are--they are the ones wearing hats pulled down really low and wearing masks the ENTIRE time.)

I hate the media. The bias in the media has become so open flagrant that I can barely stomach watching it.

But I am glad that both events went well, and everyone was safe and things went peacefully. I was seriously worried there was going to be some sort of "staged event" by some wack-job agent provocateur--what with all the media hype in the last few weeks about how "violent" the Tea Part, Constitutionalist, and 2A movements are.

The media sucks, and they're all a bunch of tools, liers, and frauds. I REALLY need to start a PodCast, and start calling these people out in their lies.

But Kudo's to you guys for putting on a peaceful, fun, and successful event, even if the media DID pretty much black out the story...

M

McX

imported post

made it to the papers in a ways back in the pages around here, i didn't see anything on the tube, anyone else?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well this morning they had a brady mouth piece complaining about the one over the
border in america being able to carry a 50 cal sniper rifle within spittin distance of the
airport. OMG in a park no less!! Of course he ruined my breakfast trying to show that
BHO gave them the right to have guns in parks. No he signed it because he loves
spending money more than he hates guns. He can always use the money to go after
the guns later.
I must admit that it is the first fox news story where they themselves were not
cheering for the gun grabbers. Even used the OC word on the air talking about
wisconsins protest.
Didn't explain what movement was about but did get the two letters out on the air.:celebrate