• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the OC Atmosphere in Lynchburg, TN?

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm planning to visit this historic town soon and even do a tour of the Jack Daniels distillery. Can anyone tell me what the OC atmosphere is like there? Are there any carry laws that did not get preempted by the TN "shall issue" laws? Thanks in advance!

Boogaloo

imported post

I live between Lynchburg and where you live...I'm not aware of any difference in state law and Lynchburg.

I'd expect the atmosphere is about the same as in Huntsville. Not sure what reaction you'd get at JD...especially if you make the other tourists nervous.

Boogaloo

imported post

Well, I just noticed I replied to a 7 month old post. Sorry about that.

I expect he's made it to Lynchburg by now!

If there's a delete feature, I can't find it...

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Boogaloo wrote:
Well, I just noticed I replied to a 7 month old post. Sorry about that.

I expect he's made it to Lynchburg by now!

If there's a delete feature, I can't find it...
No, you're right on time! I joined the board about 7 months ago, but just posted this last weekend. Would you mind to expound on your answer? Perhaps I should expound on my question, too.

I'm not so much concerned with the response of the general population as I am with law enforcement, which is why I specifically asked about any pre-1986 laws in Lynchburg. If stopped by an LEO for OC in TN, I have only to show my permit and they should speed me on my way. Thanks in advance!

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, here's my report:

This past weekend, I made a trip up into TN and stopped off at several historic locations. First, I toured Falls Mill (http://www.fallsmill.com/). If anyone there noticed my sidearm, they didn't say anything about it. My next stop was the Lynchburg town square and Ms. Mary Bobo's for lunch. I visited several shops on the square receiving little more than a stare while waiting for my reservation at Mary Bobo's. Mary Bobo's wasn't posted and, again, if anyone noticed I was carrying, I couldn't tell. My final stop was the Jack Daniels Distillery. I carefully checked all the doors leading into the main tourist halls and there were no signs prohibiting firearms. For over an hour, I walked around inside the tourist hall with no reaction while waiting for my tour number to be called. I then sat through the introductory video and rode the bus to the rick yard where they took the group photo.

Just after the photo was taken, the tour guide approached me and asked if I was carrying a weapon (obviously a rhetorical question). I replied, "yes". He asked if I was an LEO and I replied, "no". Then I added that I was licensed to carry, that there were no 39-17-1359 signs at any entrance, and asked if he'd like to see my license. He replied, "yes". I handed him my AL license, which he examined thoroughly and handed back to me. He yelled out to the bus driver that everything was fine (the driver, who took the group photo, had waited in the bus, presumably, in case anything went wrong). He apologized to the rest of the group for interrupting the tour, made a comment about safety, and then continued as if nothing had happened. Through the entire 40-second encounter he was professional and courteous and treated me no differently afterwords than before. He was also an excellent guide who knew how to tell a good story.

Once I got back inside the main tourist building, I picked up a cup of the complimentary lemonade and filled out a comment card. The lady at the lemonade bar had a distinctly foreign accent and, I suspect, noticed my sidearm. That's because a short time thereafter, an older lady walked out from the employee area and stood at the end of the bar staring at me with her hands on her hips. She stayed there the entire time until I left the building.

aadvark

imported post

One good thing about Lynchburg is that Lynchburg is a Consolidated Government having merged with Moore County.

Aside from the one exception under Tennessee Law for allowing small comemrative bottles of World-Famous Jack Daniels Whiskey, Lynchburg/Moore County is a Dry County/City/Consolidated Government.

What this means is that there are no Alcoholic Beverage on-premises consumption location restricitons concerning Alcohol, under light the Consolidated Government, the whole of the County, is Dry.

Therefore, the only other major exception to Tennessee Preemption would be Local Parks, however; I am not able to access Lynchburg/Moore County Consolidated Government Code, as it has yet to posted on their Website.

In short, due to the Status of this Consolidated Government, Tennessee State Law 39-17-1305 is a moot point, as this Crime can not occur in this GovernmentLocale.