• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster Recommendation

Don Barnett

imported post

There is probably a thread on this somewhere, but I just bought a Tauras PT 1911 (blued). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good holster? I will probably carry locked and cocked.

Thanks.

230therapy

imported post

Milt Sparks Versa Max II (IWB with spread loops for stability)
Milt Sparks Heritage (IWB)
DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard (OWB pancake, allows C+L carry)
Comp-Tac's CTAC (or one of the variations)
Safariland ALS 6377 or 6378 (or variant)

I like DeSantis because they're prompt. Milt Sparks is a custom shop with long wait times, though Top Gun Supply sometimes has them in.

While you're at it, buy two single mag holders. Two singles are more concealable than a double (which looks like a brick on the belt).

Don't buy a competition holster for open carry. If the reasons are not obvious:

1) The gun is exposed to grit, crud and bumping (bang into things...yikes)
2) Exposed night sights are susceptible to breakage (been there)
3) Sights can be nudged (done that)
4) Minimal retention.
5) Looks goofy as hell--style is important.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

230therapy wrote:
Don't buy a competition holster for open carry. If the reasons are not obvious:

1) The gun is exposed to grit, crud and bumping (bang into things...yikes)
2) Exposed night sights are susceptible to breakage (been there)
3) Sights can be nudged (done that)
4) Minimal retention.
5) Looks goofy as hell--style is important.

While you have some good points about the competition holster for open carry, I must point out the following with my experience:

1) Only problem I had was getting in/out of the vehicle.

2) No breakage (yet.)

3) No sight problems (yet.)

4) This one is untrue with the CR SPEED. It is very good retention as a matter of fact! It is able to keep my gun in retention just as good or even better than my serpa! Amazing design!

5) Well, I can't fight this one.. some might say it looks goofy.. others are just "that looks so cool! where can i get mine?"

I am pretty careful when it comes to clearance.. I don't bump my gun alot at all. The only problems I really ever had was getting into/out of my truck. I do agree with you that it may not be a perfect open carry rig.. and yes, it does cost alot more than a simple cc/oc holster!

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

230therapy wrote:
Is the holster made from metal? That would make it very durable.

Have you timed your draw with it? Have you seen an increase in speed?
It is not metal. It is made out of that very hard plastic like the Glock is made out of. With this holster, I have seen that it is easier for me to draw... Faster is only a thought, because I have not actually timed my draw from either of the two yet. If you want more specific product information, go to http://www.rescomp.co.za/pWSMII/WSM-II.aspx

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
There is probably a thread on this somewhere, but I just bought a Tauras PT 1911 (blued). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good holster? I will probably carry locked and cocked.

Thanks.
Your post seems to indicate that you have the 'regular' model, i.e. without the tac-rail? If so, then I think any 1911 holster should work. I may or may not have had a PT1911AR and may or may not have had to make my own leather holster and apply a dremel to a serpa blackhawk.:)