• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Misinformed LEO, still?

G

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
Shall issue started with who?

Who was attorney general in 2001?

Reciprocity wow he got other states to recognize our state privilege!
It has been very beneficial to some that don't stay in Michigan all the time.

As one that travels extensively, I am very cognizant of it's benefit.

Michigan's CPL is recognized by more states than any other state's permit.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:

I was hoping for the first two to be answered, and the last was sarcasm It should not be a privilege to CC. the 2nd says, shall not be infringed. Lol

Yooper

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:

I was hoping for the first two to be answered, and the last was sarcasm It should not be a privilege to CC. the 2nd says, shall not be infringed.  Lol

Shall issue started with citizens wanting it, and finally getting the legislature and governor to sign it into law, even though it did add a TON of restrictions over the old law.

Jenny Granholm was the AG in '01. And when states like TN first passed their reciprocity law, she refused to sign an agreement with them, which was stupid, since a TN permit was already recognized in MI. What she did was prevent MI residents from carrying in TN, since TN required a formal agreement to recognize out of state permits.

AG Cox, has actively sought out to get Michigans permit recognized in as many states as possible. In fact, EVERY state that recognizes permits from other states, recognizes a MI permit. MI is the ONLY state whose permit is recognized by all others that offer reciprocity.

burgundyyears

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
I don't believe any of the candidate's are for gun rights

Then you sir are uninformed.
Mike please don't say things like that, you don't know me well enough. I know your campaigning for Cox so I have tried to stay out of this whole promoting Cox on M.O.C. But I've met Cox personally, as well as Rogers when Bush was running for his first term. It was a Dewitt NRA meet.
They all said they were for 2nd Amendments. Now here we are 10 years later Cox is head Law enforcer/Top Attorney of the state, and when asked if he'd turn over his phone records from 2003, the all knowing States Attorney General says he can't remember who his provider was in 2003...Well no @#$% I probably couldn't either, but If can find it out!, the highest Attorney in the state sure in the hell can find out as well! What the hell kind of reply is that? leads people to believe he has something to hide.
Beyond that here we are ten yrs later and the only real gun law progress that has been made for our benefit was accomplished by a pro gun sheriff pushing Shall Issue!
I don't mean just Cox, but all of them, if there are that many who say they are for the 2nd, the supreme court would be repealing 99% of the gun laws. Here we are 2010 and we still have to ask permission to carry concealed, & what type of gun we can own. Bottom line I just see the Pro-Gun Pro-Life card as just that a Campaign slogan nothing more!
Mike Cox almost singlehandedly got full-auto weapons to be legal in MI again, and as others said, and has it so Michigan has one of the most widely-accepted permits in the country. Your nonsensical axe-grinding about phone records has nothing to do with 2A at all, and what else do you realistically expect him to have done as AG? Wave a magic wand and eliminate pistol registration? That would be great, but much more likely to happen with him as governor and appropriate legislative pressure (got close a few years ago.) The CPL system isn't going to go be eliminated in MI in favor of AK and VT type carry, so just get over that now.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

burgundyyears wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
I don't believe any of the candidate's are for gun rights

Then you sir are uninformed.
Mike please don't say things like that, you don't know me well enough. I know your campaigning for Cox so I have tried to stay out of this whole promoting Cox on M.O.C. But I've met Cox personally, as well as Rogers when Bush was running for his first term. It was a Dewitt NRA meet.
They all said they were for 2nd Amendments. Now here we are 10 years later Cox is head Law enforcer/Top Attorney of the state, and when asked if he'd turn over his phone records from 2003, the all knowing States Attorney General says he can't remember who his provider was in 2003...Well no @#$% I probably couldn't either, but If can find it out!, the highest Attorney in the state sure in the hell can find out as well! What the hell kind of reply is that? leads people to believe he has something to hide.
Beyond that here we are ten yrs later and the only real gun law progress that has been made for our benefit was accomplished by a pro gun sheriff pushing Shall Issue!
I don't mean just Cox, but all of them, if there are that many who say they are for the 2nd, the supreme court would be repealing 99% of the gun laws. Here we are 2010 and we still have to ask permission to carry concealed, & what type of gun we can own. Bottom line I just see the Pro-Gun Pro-Life card as just that a Campaign slogan nothing more!
Mike Cox almost singlehandedly got full-auto weapons to be legal in MI again, and as others said, and has it so Michigan has one of the most widely-accepted permits in the country. Your nonsensical axe-grinding about phone records has nothing to do with 2A at all, and what else do you realistically expect him to have done as AG? Wave a magic wand and eliminate pistol registration? That would be great, but much more likely to happen with him as governor and appropriate legislative pressure (got close a few years ago.) The CPL system isn't going to go be eliminated in MI in favor of AK and VT type carry, so just get over that now.
All I said was I don't believe ANY of the candidates are for gun rights (it's my Opinion nothing more). I don't have an axe to grind, that is an insinuation from mike, and now you, I am not worried about some F..n Phone records to quote Mike, I just used it as an example of how all most all Politicians are the same when it comes to being investigated. I never expected him to do anything, that is my point, as I suspect nothing will be done when and if any of the current Candidates win.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CrossPistols wrote:

If by started, do you mean who was governor then? Engler. The others have already been answered, I believe.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:

If by started, do you mean who was governor then? Engler. The others have already been answered, I believe.
Nope it was a particular Sheriff that started issuing CCW permits based on the fact that the Mi. Const. says Every person Shall have the...

the AG was Jennifer Granholm (Belive it or not)

G

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:

Nope it was a particular Sheriff that started issuing CCW permits based on the fact that the Mi. Const. says Every person Shall have the...

Carl Marlinga was the prosecutor on the Macomb County gun board that paved the way for shall issue legislation. He was approving everyone that appeared w/o a criminal background.

G

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
who was the sheriff though at that time? in that county
I'm drawing a blank.
I do not think it was Hackle. May have been though.

There was another Northern sheriff that also was not declining them long ago. But it was in a far North area that did not have the impact of an urban community like Macomb County.

Marlinga started doing it right after a Michigan appellate court decision made Florida non-resident permits invalid for Michigan residents while carrying in Michigan.

His premise was how could a Florida permit allow Florida residents to carry concealed in Michigan but the same permit would not allow Michigan residents to use it in there own state? It made Florida residents in Michigan a higher class citizen than Michigan's own citizens.

jmlefler

imported post

That's interesting... Mike Bouchard (Oakland County Sheriff and Governor candidate) told me when we met in our Tea Party office that if the Feds come for our guns, his plan is to deputize all CPL holders, thus exempting us from and Federal action...

Carry on

MI-copperhead

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, US
imported post

jmlefler wrote:
That's interesting... Mike Bouchard (Oakland County Sheriff and Governor candidate) told me when we met in our Tea Party office that if the Feds come for our guns, his plan is to deputize all CPL holders, thus exempting us from and Federal action...

Carry on
No offence, but being that Bouchard is a politician, I'd want that in writting. But that's just me, I have very little faith in officials any more.

eastmeyers

imported post

jmlefler wrote:

Carry on

Why not just deputize us all anyways, that way we can carry in all 50 states!?

God Bless

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:

Carl Marlinga was the prosecutor on the Macomb County gun board that paved the way for shall issue legislation. He was approving everyone that appeared w/o a criminal background.
Lets not forget Clinton County and some UP counties that were shall issue before the law.

G

imported post

Venator wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:

Lets not forget Clinton County and some UP counties that were shall issue before the law.
Agreed. It went unnoticed though by the general public until it became commonplace, as I noted here:

CV67PAT wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
who was the sheriff though at that time? in that county
I'm drawing a blank.
I do not think it was Hackle. May have been though.

There was another Northern sheriff that also was not declining them long ago. But it was in a far North area that did not have the impact of an urban community like Macomb County.

Marlinga started doing it right after a Michigan appellate court decision made Florida non-resident permits invalid for Michigan residents while carrying in Michigan.

His premise was how could a Florida permit allow Florida residents to carry concealed in Michigan but the same permit would not allow Michigan residents to use it in there own state? It made Florida residents in Michigan a higher class citizen than Michigan's own citizens.