• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Question

wally1120

imported post

I am looking to replace the Thumb Safety on my Citadel 1911, And need a little help on how to go about doing that. Do I need to Disassemble the whole Gun, Or can I just pop the TS off and fit the new one in? I would imagine I have to DS the Gun to change this part out, But I am hoping I can just pop the Safety off and change it out W/O taking the whole Gun apart.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

If it's put together like a standard 1911, then the thumb safety should just pop out. Keep in mind, the grip safety hinges on the thumb safety, so that will come loose when you pull the thumb safety out.

Michigander

imported post

Unless you get a part from the manufacturer which they tell you will be a drop in fit, the odds of it working well without a gun smith or other very skilled person fitting it are not good.

A thumb safety on a 1911 needs to be filed to perfectly fit the sear. If it doesn't fit, the gun is very dangerous.

This is not something I suggest you try to do yourself unless you are okay with risking destroying a thumb safety or 2 in the process of learning how to fit them.

You can do it if you want to, but be sure to have a good set of files, and a lot of patience. If you have one that you want to fit to it right now, I suggest going to a reputable smith.

If you don't have one yet, and you are determined to do it yourself, you will want to take the 1911 to a gun show or a shop with a lot of parts in stock to find a safety that is as close to the same as possible. Alternatively, you may be able to get one from the manufacturer. It would be worth calling them.

wally1120

imported post

I was talking to one of my 1911 guys, And he was saying I should take it to a Certified Gunsmith. This really shocked me since he always dinks around with 1911s, But he don`t feel safe doing something like this. I already have the Safety I want installed in my possession, But am going to take it to a Gunsmith after I find some prices at different places around me. Hopefully it won`t be to much to have this done, And I am hoping I can afford to have a different Trigger, And a MSH put in at the same time.

Michigander

imported post

Price doesn't mean much if it's a keeper, and it means especially little if you will be carrying it. Find a GOOD smith to fit the safety.

wally1120

imported post

I am on a very limited price range, But I am going to put quality Parts, Work into this Gun. Also looking for a Fobus Holster that will work for the Citadel, Couldn`t find anything that would work at my GunShop.

Bronson

imported post

I fit mine myself and it works perfectly...and I did it on the first try. It is not really that technically difficult but it is tedious, very tedious. It comes down to taking a single small light pass with the file and installing the safety and checking fit/function, repeat ad nauseum.

It took me probably two hours to do it on a tv tray in my living room. This is not counting the large amount of research I did on how to fit the thumb safety.The local smith wanted $60 to fit it but I wanted to try and I had mentally prepared myself to ruin the first one. From what the smiths online said most people ruin their first one because they get impatient and file off too much at a time so if you get impatient with stuff like that don't even try it. Me, I love tedious little tasks like that so it was right up my alley. I also have a rather detail and tool oriented job so it was a lot like things I do all the time.

Bronson

wally1120

imported post

This brings me to another question, I don`t know if this is going to be done or not. But what is the difference between Series 70, And Series 80? I am looking at possibly replacing the Beavertail as well, But am looking at replacing it with a SS finish. The Citadel is to much black on it, And I already replaced the Slide Lock with a SS Slide Lock and looks nice.

What are others peoples takes on this?

SS Thumb Safety
SS Slide Stop ( already installed)
STI Short Shoe Trigger
SS Beavertail
SS Arched Main Spring Housing
And possibly XS Night Sights

OR
SS Safety
SS Slide Stop (already installed)
STI Short Shoe Trigger
Stock Beavertail
SS Arched Main Spring Housing
And possibly XS Night Sights

And possibly a free set of grips to go on a Officers size 1911, From a fellow OCer:)

Bronson

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I am on a very limited price range, But I am going to put quality Parts, Work into this Gun. Also looking for a Fobus Holster that will work for the Citadel, Couldn`t find anything that would work at my GunShop.

You're going to put quality work and parts in it but then carry it in one of the cheapest holsters out there? At least spring for the Serpa. They make one for the commander length 1911 (I'm wearing mine right now with my High Standard 3.5" 1911) that is only 3/4" longer than the gun. The part number is 410542BK-R (right handed) if you want to look online for good prices.

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
What are others peoples takes on this?

Too much $$ dumped into low dollar, entry level, value gun.

I thought of doing many of those same things because I too like two toned guns but once I put the extended thumb safety in I decided to just leave it, carry it, and shoot it a lot.

Bronson

wally1120

imported post

I love the Fobus line of Holsters. I used to have a Blackhawk Serpa, And I personally hated the thing. I was shooting a IDPA in the middle of winter, Stupid I know. But I was having problems tripping the button to release the Gun out of the Holster, Since then I have always bought Fobus Holsters, And will never look back. I personally think that Fobus Holsters are the best on the Market, For me anyway. And I know of a lot of others that like the Fobus Holsters as well, But I know a lot of people like ________ Holsters. Not trying to say anything bad about anything, Just have a problem with the Blackhawk Holsters.

wally1120

imported post

I still want to at least do a couple mods to this Gun. I don`t much care for the Thumb Safety on it right now, So that is going to get replaced. And the Plastic MSH is going to get replaced with a SS MSH, Probably the Arched SS MSH from Ed Brown

Michigander

imported post

An Ed Brown mainspring housing? Why so fancy?

I really can't see the need in pimping out a bargain basement 1911 with cosmetic additions of parts which you can get for far less without sacrificing reliability.

wally1120

imported post

This maybe a Inexpensive 1911, but it is still worthy of putting nicer parts on it. Hell it already has a Kimber Slide Lock on it:lol:. I want the Gun to look like it is Something, Not this Inexpensive 500 dollar Gun. But all of these parts will come after time.

Michigander

imported post

Different strokes for different folks, but the common thing people would do, if they wanted a high quality and nice looking 1911, is get a good one from a reputable US manufacturer, like Springfield, have a smith do a reliability package on it, shoot it a few hundred times to break it in and ensure reliability, and be happy with it.

This is a lot like taking a Kia sedan and trying to make it an 8 second drag car. Possible, but highly questionable.

In your shoes, I would sell the Citadel, and buy something else. But it's your gun, and if you want to make it a goofy frankengun, even knowing how silly it is, then you should.

wally1120

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Different strokes for different folks, but the common thing people would do, if they wanted a high quality and nice looking 1911, is get a good one from a reputable US manufacturer, like Springfield, have a smith do a reliability package on it, shoot it a few hundred times to break it in and ensure reliability, and be happy with it.

This is a lot like taking a Kia sedan and trying to make it an 8 second drag car. Possible, but highly questionable.

In your shoes, I would sell the Citadel, and buy something else. But it's your gun, and if you want to make it a goofy frankengun, even knowing how silly it is, then you should.
I don`t have the money to afford a Springer, Wish I did. I have a XD and love it, And would love to have a Springer 1911 But that is a bit out of my range.

If you get the right person to work on what ever you are wanting improved, EVERYTHING is possible.

I won`t sell the Citadel, And I feel it is worth putting a little money into. I had a Kimber Eclipse, Sharp as $hit looking, But was a POS. And the Citadel needs a little bit cosmetic work, But is a true performer. I don`t plan on spending more then 150 for parts for the Citadel. I am just throwing ideas out there, I probably won`t have a lot of the things I have listed on here done to the Gun.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Michigander wrote:

You do realize, the Springfield parts are made in Brazil. ;)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
Michigander wrote:

I don`t have the money to afford a Springer, Wish I did. I have a XD and love it, And would love to have a Springer 1911 But that is a bit out of my range.

If you get the right person to work on what ever you are wanting improved, EVERYTHING is possible.

I won`t sell the Citadel, And I feel it is worth putting a little money into. I had a Kimber Eclipse, Sharp as $hit looking, But was a POS. And the Citadel needs a little bit cosmetic work, But is a true performer. I don`t plan on spending more then 150 for parts for the Citadel. I am just throwing ideas out there, I probably won`t have a lot of the things I have listed on here done to the Gun.
You should have gotten a Rock Island Armory FS Tactical. ;)

ria.jpg
ria45.jpg