• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks Robbed by Armed Gunman

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.ocregister.com/news/police-238593-starbucks-beach.html

Published: March 10, 2010
Updated: 4:12 p.m.
Photo: Police seeking Starbucks robbery suspect

By JAIMEE LYNN FLETCHER
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

SEAL BEACH– Police have released video stills of a man suspected of robbing Starbucks in hopes the community will help identify and apprehend him.

Police responded to reports of an armed robbery about 8:30 p.m. Feb. 17 at Starbucks in the 2300 block of Seal Beach Boulevard.

kz3afv-b78615970z.120100310152540000g84n4j4o.1.bmp

Police are looking for the man pictured here who is suspected of robbing a Starbucks in Seal Beach. The man allegedly brandished a gun, forced employees to the ground and emptied the cash register.
PHOTO COURTESY OF THE SEAL BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT,
MORE PHOTOS »
ADVERTISEMENT
freedom.iframe('x85');

A man allegedly entered the store, brandished a fire arm and forced several employees on the floor before emptying the cash register, police said.

There were no customers in the store at the time of the robbery and nobody was injured, police said. An unknown amount of money was taken.

The man is described as Hispanic, six feet tall, from 37 to 50 years of age and 200 to 250 pounds. He fled the store on foot; no vehicle was seen leaving the coffee shop, police said.

Police are asking the public to help identify the man. Anyone with any information can call Detective Gary Krogman of the Seal Beach Police Department at 562-799-4100, ext. 1108.

Contact the writer:[/b] 714-796-7953 or jfletcher@ocregister.com

Mech

imported post

Ok, I have a question: if I were in the store at the time, sitting in the corner, and while he came in and went straight for the cash register, I deployed my OC'ing piece, with his back turned towards me. Given that he's already brandishing his firearm, do I have to yell at him first to drop his weapon? Or should I simply shoot to stop the threat he's posing for the employees?

Metalhead47

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Was he OC'ing?
Actually from the photo it looks like he's concealing. Guess the bradys will want starbucks to ban everyone from their stores now, since you just can't tell if an obviously unarmed person is a criminal or not, it helps them blend in :banghead:

sirpuma

imported post

Mech wrote:
Ok, I have a question: if I were in the store at the time, sitting in the corner, and while he came in and went straight for the cash register, I deployed my OC'ing piece, with his back turned towards me. Given that he's already brandishing his firearm, do I have to yell at him first to drop his weapon? Or should I simply shoot to stop the threat he's posing for the employees?
Armed Robbery is a felony. You have the right to use your firearm to stop a felony in progress.

Personally, I'd give a warning like shouting "drop it". If the criminal moves in any manner other than dropping the weapon, BANG!.

aadvark

imported post

Sirpuma..., I agree.

If that dude made ONE wrong move..., BANG!

It does not matter though, because; he is facing Armed Robbery Charges, which in The State of Washington is a Class A Felony.

Armed Robbery is Codified under Washington Revised Statutes 9A.56.200.

A Conviction for 9A.56.200 brings a standard 3 year sentence, since it is a Level IX Sentence Serious Level Offense, per Washington Codes 9.94A.500-9.94A.530.

Technically, He could be facing up to 12 years in Prison, and a Class A Felony Conviciton that will never come off of His Criminal History.

Furthermore, there are plenty of enhancers under Washington Code if He has engaged in any similiar conduct at any time prior to this Crime, if He is Convicted.

kparker

imported post

I'm not going to make a recommendation one way or the other, but just an observation:

Personally, I'd give a warning like shouting "drop it". If the criminal moves in any manner other than dropping the weapon,

Now you've moved from acting to reacting, and that's always slower.

Just sayin'....

phoneguy

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
Mech wrote:
Armed Robbery is a felony. You have the right to use your firearm to stop a felony in progress.

Personally, I'd give a warning like shouting "drop it". If the criminal moves in any manner other than dropping the weapon, BANG!.

No words spoken. Just aim and pull the trigger. Remember the Tacoma Mall shooting the guy with the CPL made that mistake and now he is in a wheel chair.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
Was he OC'ing?
Actually from the photo it looks like he's concealing. Guess the bradys will want starbucks to ban everyone from their stores now, since you just can't tell if an obviously unarmed person is a criminal or not, it helps them blend in :banghead:
Are you proposing that we all must be requried to enter Starbucks nude?

Metalhead47

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
Was he OC'ing?
Are you proposing that we all must be requried to enter Starbucks nude?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!:what:

Don't say that out loud! We know the bradys lurk this forum, don't give them any ideas!

DaemonForce

imported post

I knew it was a matter of time this would happen with enough media coverage going on. The Brady wars. Begun it has. :?

I propose we burn this event into memory on our fateful Pi day and stay armed like great grandfatherintended. :)

EDIT: I just realized so much crap went on March 10th that it isn't funny. Anyway this is the kind of situation that makes me wait for armed guards to enter the shop. These days when some large business gets media coverage they're more likely to be robbed by some nutcase. They always come out after the press gets there.

Machoduck

imported post

The arm waving about Starbucks began in the Bay Area around March 5, this year. The event in question occurred February 17. The article quoted and linked in the OP was dated March 10. It appears to me that that the robbery flew under the radar until somebody in the Bay Area made the connection as a result of then current events. To connect robberies of Starbucks shops to the open carry issue would require before and after statistics of armed robberies, showing a statistically significant increase in armed robberies after March 5 to 10.

MD

Wheelgunner

imported post

No words spoken. Just aim and pull the trigger. Remember the Tacoma Mall shooting the guy with the CPL made that mistake and now he is in a wheel chair.

That is the first thing that went through my mind.

He was a guy new to carrying and thought the perp (with a freaking rifle!) would back down if he drew his pistol. I am not sure he even pointed the pistol at the perp.

Bad guy's response was to swivel at waist and put two 7.62 x 39 bullets in his gut and one in his spine.

Remember Kids: When you see a guy shooting innocents in public, DON'T try to take him at gun point.

amzbrady

imported post

Ok first off it was Kalifoneeya, so if you were carrying, than he probably would have your gun cause he would have saw it, and pointed his loaded weapon at you before you could unholster you weapon and unholster your clip and get it loaded.

Second, I dont think anyone wants to see me nude in a starbucks, I'm surprised I dont get indecent exposure fully dressed. 15 yrs ago, yea maybe, now, not an option.

sirpuma

imported post

phone guy wrote:
sirpuma wrote:
Mech wrote:

That was slightly different, the Tacoma Mall guy was already shooting people. In that case, it's just a BANG!. In the robbery case, they usually aren't ready for someone to resist. Shouting for them to freeze or drop it from behind them means they have to turn around to see who's shouting at them. That's when the bang comes in. If you have the drop on them from behind as they're threatening the cashier and you order them to freeze or drop the weapon it will take them a second or two to turn and find a target. Once they start that turn, shoot them. Of course if they come in waving it around and threatening everyone, then once their back is turned, draw and shoot.

ETA, I'm not saying wait till after you give the order to draw. I'm saying, draw, take careful aim, give order. Perp flinches wrong, it's only a trigger pull.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

In Washington State you are not required to announce your actions to a perp, if you feel you or the life of another is in immediate threat of life you are well with in our rights to eliminate threat.
If you feel it will no one will be harmed it is still your choice to act or not to, as you will live with the end result in the aftermath.
If you feel it an obligation to take out the perp and you feel it is raised to the level of a deadly threat then do so while keeping in mind if your rounds miss where they will hit.

Note on the Tacoma Mall Shooting, I read after the incident McKown actually drew his weapon and feeling he could not be sure of hitting someone else if he missed, he put away his gun and asked the shooter Maldonado to put his gun and Maldonado shot him 5 times at close range.
There is different reports as to he pulled his gun and then put it away to he was a faster draw then me and being shot twice versus five times.

This is a testament if you are going to carry be prepared, if you are going to pull your gun and expose yourself be ready to take those shots, putting it away is beyond me still when so many lives to include your own were at stake.