• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time....

Ctclassic

imported post

Hey all, newbie here!!I've been a Ct permit holder since 1985, and as much as I hate to admit it:banghead:, I JUST found out about this site AND the whole open carry buzz. To say I'm all over this would be an understatement. This is huge and I fully intend (and have)to get the word out whenever and however I can! I have conceal carried when I have felt the need, but with all the home invasions, robberies, public shootingsetc.. I will be carrying openly(Sig P220, Blackhawk Serpa)from now on. I was at BJ's Waterford last night, and decided to try it...paranoid or what? But it felt pretty good. I decided to conceal and go into Dick's Sporting Goods to see what the guy behind the guncounter knew about OC..and before I could finish asking him he blerted out "no,I don't think you can in CT.":banghead: I didn't get into it with him, at that point I was just curious. We have alot of work to do. I do know that the police chief in Putnam varified you can ( but with the risk of being arrested for creating a public disturbance) with a complaint from the public. Yeah right?! Ok, if anyone has a new soapbox available I'd be interested, mine is shot. Carry on!!

Edward Peruta

imported post

CTclassic,

Open Carry is legal in CT for those in possession of a valid permit to do so. Having said that, consider the fact that a black man standing in a predominately white neighborhood cannot be arrested if he causes alarm or inconvenience to others while engaged in legally permissibleconduct.

With the obvious places that firearms are NOT permitted by law and the private places that are postedto prohibit firearms, just go about your businesswithout doing anything to draw attention to you or your firearm.

I'm sure you will have people approach you and offer comments and legal opinions as well as ask questions.

Iofteninform peoplethat I am astate recognized PISTOL INSTRUCTOR and politely advise them that if they have been told that concealment in mandatory they have beenprovided incorrect information and/or trained improperly.

Rest assured, there may be members of law enforcement out there who sill don't know the law and may take action that is illegal.

Enjoy the day and carry OPENLY OR CONCEALED in CT.

beanoboy7

imported post

I Open Carried my Colt Gold Cup Trophy on 3/13/10 at The Counter in Blue Back Square, and a gentleman approached me and stated that I was "stamping" and that its a felony in CT. I've never heard of the term "stamping" but I respectfully replied to the gentleman, and told him that Open Carry is indeed legal in CT.

There is still a lot of work to do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

beanoboy7 wrote:
I Open Carried my Colt Gold Cup Trophy on 3/13/10 at The Counter in Blue Back Square, and a gentleman approached me and stated that I was "stamping" and that its a felony in CT. I've never heard of the term "stamping" but I respectfully replied to the gentleman, and told him that Open Carry is indeed legal in CT.

There is still a lot of work to do.
Dots funny GI ! :lol:

Yata hey

sdrct

imported post

He most likely meant printing, which really wouldn't apply to OC. The guy probably thought you were just doing a really bad job of concealed carry.