• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to OPEN carry a shotgun in Shenandoah National Park?

Burlyman78

imported post

My understanding is that as of Feb. 22, 2010 it is now legal to *concealed* carry in Shenanodah National Park, but does anyone know if it is also legal to *open* carry a shotgun (i.e. just carry it in my hand or in a shotgun scabbard on my pack, chamber empty with four in the magazine tube) in Shenandoah National Park?

t33j

imported post

Any method of carry that is legal in Virginia outside of SNP is legal inside of SNP.

You worried about black bears or something?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

There was a copy of the internal memo to the local rangers here. It went away.

Right now, yes you can carry a shotgun but not in your hand.

Read it quick before it goes away again

Burlyman78

imported post

Wow, thanks for posting the memo. I don't want to be charged with brandishing. I wonder if a shotgun with a sling over the shoulder would be legal, but it's not addressed in what you posted. A scabbard attached to my pack seems like the best option at this point.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Right click on it and save it so it can go away again
Legally, in Va. you can carry it in your hand but unless you want to be a test case, use a sling or scabbard.