• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Herald Scotland - Open carry movement sweeping America

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/world-news/when-the-shooters-came-to-starbucks-1.1013198

SNIP

Andrew Purcell, New York

Published on 14 Mar 2010

The “open-carry” movement first came to national attention when armed men began turning up at presidential events last summer, wearing their pistols in full view.

. . .

It might seem hard for the European mind to process, but in the US many gun owners are not content with having a firearm stashed in their house should a burglar attack, they also want to walk down Main Street with a revolver on their hip in public sight – preserving the libertarian standards of the Wild West in 21st century USA: that’s the essence of the open-carry movement.

. . .

The biggest changes in gun law are taking place at state level. Montana and Tennessee have introduced laws exempting guns and ammunition produced, sold and used within the state from any federal regulation at all.

Arizona and Wyoming will soon allow residents to carry concealed weapons without a permit. In Virginia, home of the NRA, Republicans backed a measure to repeal the state’s one-gun-a-month law, but were stymied by a committee packed with Democrats. The Virginia Citizens Defence League is keeping up the pressure, with a proposal to allow gun owners to carry concealed weapons in bars, providing they do not drink.

The VCDL has been at the forefront of the open-carry movement. Member John Pierce founded opencarry.org a decade ago. He believes firearms should only be banned from prisons, courtrooms and beyond the security line at airports. In his worldview, schools, bars and churches would be safer places if they were protected by responsible gun owners, carrying openly.

Mr Pierce equates his cause with the civil rights movement, framing it as a libertarian crusade.

He said: “We’re really doing the same thing that the gay and lesbian community have been doing in their very successful attempts to do away with prejudice against their lifestyle.

“By proclaiming loudly and proudly who they are, they are in fact making people confront their prejudices and move past them. That’s what we want to do with properly holstered guns carried by law-abiding citizens.”

bealaskan

imported post

All:

This alleged poll sponsored by the, Mayor against Illegal guns, keeps popping up. I heard used a number of times by the anti-gun groups and now in this article. So, I need to ask some questions:

1) Who Conducted this poll?
2) Where is the polling data located?
3) What were the questions asked?
4) What statistical model was used to analyze the data?
5) How did they know that any of the polled people were in fact, members of of the NRA?

I really don't think this poll exists and it there is data, it is fraudulent. I challenge these Mayors to provide all data concerning this poll immediately and the source of the funding used to conduct it.

Until then, media outlets should stop reporting this alleged poll. Also, opencarry.org members need to pressure these mayors to produce the data.

Christopher

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bealaskan wrote:
All:

This alleged poll sponsored by the, Mayor against Illegal guns, keeps popping up. I heard used a number of times by the anti-gun groups and now in this article. So, I need to ask some questions:

1) Who Conducted this poll?
2) Where is the polling data located?
3) What were the questions asked?
4) What statistical model was used to analyze the data?
5) How did they know that any of the polled people were in fact, members of of the NRA?

I really don't think this poll exists and it there is data, it is fraudulent. I challenge these Mayors to provide all data concerning this poll immediately and the source of the funding used to conduct it.

Until then, media outlets should stop reporting this alleged poll. Also, opencarry.org members need to pressure these mayors to produce the data.

Christopher
MAIG poll information:

http://bigjournalism.com/wthuston/2...a-times-mislead-with-new-gun-poll/#more-11818

Yata hey

Flashbang

imported post

"Mayors Against Illegal Guns".....The name doesn't sound too sinister. The rub comes from the anti-gun crowd who infest such organizations. They really want to remove the first couple of letters from "illegal". Just another phony poll from a group of misnamed anti-2A folks. Digging past the label to get to the real purpose sure gets old.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

24. A federal law making it illegal to manufacture, sell, or possess semi-automatic weapons, sometimes known as “assault rifles.”

NRA NON–NRA
30% 47% SUPPORT (NET)
20% 31% STRONGLY SUPPORT
10% 17% SOMEWHAT SUPPORT
12% 17% NEUTRAL/NO OPINION
10% 12% SOMEWHAT OPPOSE
48% 24% STRONGLY OPPOSE
58% 36% OPPOSE (NET)

They found 120+ NRA members who would support making it illegal to possess an M1 Garand?!
I'm skeptical. :X

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Flashbang wrote:
"Mayors Against Illegal Guns".....The name doesn't sound too sinister. The rub comes from the anti-gun crowd who infest such organizations. They really want to remove the first couple of letters from "illegal". Just another phony poll from a group of misnamed anti-2A folks. Digging past the label to get to the real purpose sure gets old.
A more honest and fitting name would be Mayors Against Guns.

Then again, I have met no one from either side that had any delusions about this group. They are what they are.

Yata hey

NightOwl

imported post

“I’m still hopeful,” the Brady Campaign’s Paul Helmke says, with a weary laugh. “Our laws are so weak that you can be on the terrorist watch list and buy a gun in this country.”
Might be a little warning sign of what's on the agenda for the Brady Campaign. It would be a bleak day for this country if someone could just be arbitrarily put on a list and lose their gun rights.

bigdaddy1

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
“I’m still hopeful,” the Brady Campaign’s Paul Helmke says, with a weary laugh. “Our laws are so weak that you can be on the terrorist watch list and buy a gun in this country.”
Might be a little warning sign of what's on the agenda for the Brady Campaign. It would be a bleak day for this country if someone could just be arbitrarily put on a list and lose their gun rights.

Naw, they only plan on putting people who's names have letters in it, such as Bob, Bill, Sam, Tracy, etc...

I don't trust the Brady Bunch, WAVE, or any other group that openly advocates the total disarmament of the United States

eye95

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
The civil rights movement Mike references had LEADERS who actually LEAD from the front, often with dire consequences.
Don't see THAT happening here.
Why not?
Are you saying that Mike is not leading from the front? That's not my perception.

imported post

The civil rights leaders did just that: they led.
Not from a keyboard, not from the rear,
but from the FRONT.
They did so at great, personal risk.
Some even died. Can't see any of THAT happening here.

While there is a need to speak on TV/radio, that's not all of it.

eye95

imported post

Mike is leading, not just from his keyboard, but by building this site and representing our cause in numerous media interviews.

He leads by example by regularly strapping on and exercising his rights.

He may not be physically out in front of hundreds or thousands of others of us in a group wearing guns, but that would hurt the cause, making us look like an angry mob with guns.

BTW, such action would be illegal in Alabama, where I live. That many people getting together to push an issue would be considered a demonstration. It is unlawful to bring guns to a demonstration in Alabama (and probably many other states).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The civil rights movement Mike references had LEADERS who actually LEAD from the front, often with dire consequences.
Don't see THAT happening here.
Why not?
Maybe because they don't see the need for "dire consequences."

Which "movement" are you leading? IMO - Clik

Maybe you need to find a place where you can lead more effectively from your favorite position.

Yata hey

imported post

I'm not suggesting "dire consequences" are needed, just trying to teach the intentionally ignorant there WERE people in days past who DID things, knowing the potential consequences. Sorry that basic history lesson is lost on you.

Can't lead anyone who refuses to be led, no shortage here.

eye95

imported post

I'm not suggesting "dire consequences" are needed, just trying to teach the intentionally ignorant there WERE people in days past who DID things, knowing the potential consequences. Sorry that basic history lesson is lost on you.

Can't lead anyone who refuses to be led, no shortage here.
We apologize for our ignorance. We cannot help it. We are not as enlightened as you are.

May I suggest you take your infinite wisdom and infinite talent for leading someplace where you can find a bunch of people wanting to be led.

It seems to me that the purpose of this site is to empower people to be individuals, not sheep to be led.

Baa-aa-aa-aa