• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairbanks News Miner - Open carry at public meetings becoming more common

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/6710335/article-Guns-in-Fairbanks--Should-you-bring-weapons-to-a-heated-public-debate-?instance=home_lead_story

SNIP

The presiding officer of the Borough Assembly said openly displayed sidearms at a meeting on Feb. 25, when emotions ran high, didn’t bother him. But some assembly members said it concerns them. Borough officials said no one complained to them about the firearms, however. . . .

Officials with the three area municipalities said firearms are allowed in most municipal buildings and at public meetings. State law prohibits local governments from restricting gun rights any more than the state’s restrictions.. . .

Three other assembly members said they think residents openly carried firearms to the meeting to show their support for Second Amendment rights.

“I don’t know why. I just don’t feel too worried about it,” Assembly Presiding Officer Mike Musick said. “They are exercising one of their fundamental rights.”

Assemblyman Joe Blanchard said he sees no problem with it.

“I think people have the right to carry their firearms wherever they are,” Blanchard said. “As long as you’re not threatening anybody with it.”

Assemblywoman Natalie Howard missed the meeting but said she has seen openly displayed firearms at other public meetings.

“I definitely think that carrying your gun open or concealed to the Borough Assembly chambers, you are just exercising a freedom,” Howard said.

National groups, including OpenCarry.Org, encourage the open carrying of firearms, but not all Second Amendment enthusiasts agree.

The point, according to OpenCarry.Org’s Web site, is to “naturalize the presence of guns, which means that guns become ordinary, omnipresent and expected. Over time, the gun becomes a symbol of ordinary personhood.”