• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Refuse To Be A Victim or similar training

gis

imported post

I am looking into doing the basic personal security/awareness training for everyone in our headquarters (about 500 people) in NOVA. I am thinking of something like NRA's Refuse To Be A Victim. Do you know of anyone who does this or similar training in a corporate setting? This has to be about skills rather than political advocacy by someone who is polished enough to speak in front of a corporate (some anti-gun)audience and not come off as a gun / gun-rights nut. :D I would gretly appreciate any advice.

Ruderpinne

imported post

I dont know how many people rock Krav-maga around here but Krav-maga is great for self-defense

Ruderpinne

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Glocker9 wrote:
I dont know how many people rock Krav-maga around here but Krav-maga is great for self-defense
Wish somebody taught that in Richmond.

I have not really looked for it in Alexandria but I used to take it in Kentucky when I lived their.

Even though I carry I like to know how to defend myself, I dont want to pull my gun except for a last resort (unless they come running in with a gun in hand obviously)

Back on topic Krav maga is a very fun and interesting I guess you would call it a Martial Art, My teacher was a state trooper a small guy about 5"2 but would put a lot of people on their butt without blinking.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Glocker9 wrote:
Wish somebody taught that in Richmond.
They do Doug

logo.gif

4411758.jpg
SKU Number: 4411758
Manufacturers Number: 220-19
Replacement Handle | Brand : Link Handle | Type : Replacement Handle | Width : 3 in. | Length : 36 in. | Height : 2 in. | Weight : 2.5 lb. | Finish : Hickory with Clear Lacquer Finish | Material : American Hickory

gis

imported post

I am looking for a gentle introduction to personal security and self-defense for the "lowest common denominator" of people many of whom are oblivious to life.

Don't think that Krav Maga is it. I am a Pencak Silat practitioner myself, but would give Krav Maga it's due. :D

Ruderpinne

imported post

gis wrote:
I am looking for a gentle introduction to personal security and self-defense for the "lowest common denominator" of people many of whom are oblivious to life.

Don't think that Krav Maga is it. I am a Pencak Silat practitioner myself, but would give Krav Maga it's due. :D

pepper spray then?

Not sure but good luck yeah I love krav maga

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gis wrote:

All joking aside gis, having taught self defense I think you are going to need two phases at least. The first is awareness. Just what to look for and avoid (which is 80% of it anyway)...and you should be able to find a local LEO to teach that. Someone with street crimes experience would be good.

Then you need to have classes on handling problems that do come up. That's going to be the difficult part. I could give some recommendations in Central Va but don't have a clue in your area. Find someone that really knows what they're doing instead of a traditional martial arts instructor.
Krav Maga might not be a bad choice if you could get them to give the readers digest version.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There's a Krav-Magda place in Newington. I don't know it's name or phone number, but I could drive right to it. It's a couple of blocks south of Sharpshooters range on the lower extension of the Fairfax County Parkway, in that business park.

ETA: Found it:
KRAV MAGA Northern Virginia
8253 Backlick Road
Suite D
Lorton, VA 22079
703.339.0881 Email: info@kravmaganova.com

AbNo

imported post

gis wrote:
This is why the human race is failing more and more every generation.

coltcarrier wrote:
Check w/ the Manassas Park PD. They were offering it to Manassas area under a grant program...
I hope that's not the same as the Masassas PD....

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Abno, remember that not all Manassas PD have the same issues as those previously encountered. It's easy to paint with a really broad brush if you don't care what gets covered.

If we judged everyone by the actions of a few and the leadership they are under think about where we would be right now. Look at the actions of some senators and the leadership in the VA captial, now compare to the actions of your representatives. Look at the actions/inactions of our current federal leadership. Look at some of the people around your school/office. Does everyone in the group require the same ire?

I know from experience that the broad brush is easy to apply to everyday situations. Living in NOVA it's easy to brush everyone in traffic and start spinning yourself up over little things. This only leads to more generalization and frustration. Trust me, it's not a nice road.

Working in the Manassas area, I have had regular interactions with some of the local officers and even know family of some of them. I don't think they are out to get us or overly confrontational from what I have seen recently. I hope they have learned and moved on from the referenced incident.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to need to just let things like the Tony's or the latest death star committee go. But rather, hold those responsible under a more focused spotlight. We should be practicing our mental skills on a daily basis: Identify a problem/threat and work to avoid a dangerous situation. Over generalization can breed contempt and rash judgement on someone not deserving it.

But we can't forget the simple things like grace, humility, and patience. After all we should be practicing all these. As open carriers, we know there is extra scrutiny on us, especially with all the current press coverage. Why not strive to be a model for all citizens: thoughtful, patient, involved, and ready to act?

AbNo

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
Abno, remember that not all Manassas PD have the same issues as those previously encountered. It's easy to paint with a really broad brush if you don't care what gets covered.
Actually, another of our users, Kendo_Bunny, is from Manassas proper, born and raised. I've spent a lot of time with her in that part of the state.

I've also heard a lot of interesting stories from her and her family about what has and does go on around there.

One man's opinion, of course. :uhoh:

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I attended one of the seminars that Officer Fallon ran as a checkout a potential event for our office. I looked into organizing follow-up sessions with the office and a couple of church groups, but those managing, never got things organized to fruition. Depending where you are, they might still be able to help you. I personally still want to see this program run at our office as it really does get people thinking in a new light without bringing up hot button issues. Think about self defense awareness through analysis. Lay out common situations, explain how things are done to attempt resolution (response time, agency policies, etc).

I know one of my coworkers that was in the same session had some significant changes in thought after the course. Her husband now has gotten his CHP and she might be getting hers soon. On a personal note, it wasn't long after this class that our policies at the office on personal protection were updated and I think this class had a direct impact on at least one of the decision makers! I think the fact it was offered through the PD and the presenting officer did a great job with the program, it had a much larger impact that if you or I had given the same information. For some people it takes implied authority for things to sink in!

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
I've also heard a lot of interesting stories from her and her family about what has and does go on around there.
[/quote]
Maybe more appropriately stated "luck of the draw". I have worked with Manassas Park employees on a couple of events now, and they have quite a few stories of their own!

Every group has their outliers, some are just more public...

AbNo

imported post

AbNo wrote:
coltcarrier wrote:
Maybe more appropriately stated "luck of the draw". I have worked with Manassas Park employees on a couple of events now, and they have quite a few stories of their own!

Every group has their outliers, some are just more public...

AbNo also wrote:
I hope that's not the same as the Masassas PD....
Apparently, it's not.

Edit: Fixed some quote tags.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Manassas and Manassas Park are two separate entities... with lots of animosity at a political level. My understanding is that the grant provided to Manassas Park for the training also may cover some of the surrounding areas/counties.

Most of the groups I was trying to set up the training for are in Manassas and not in Manassas Park