• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm vs .357 magnum / small gun vs. big gun

cscitney87

imported post

About shooting to the face: I agree with that but

"Mountain lions have extraordinary vision and are remarkably fast. From a standing position, mountain lions can jump a vertical distance of up to 15 feet and a horizontal distance of 40 feet. Mountain lions choose deer as prey more than any other animal, but..."

http://www.mountainlion.org/facts_faq.asp

"Facts about the Size of Male Mountain Lions
Fully grown they reach the height of 7 to 8 feet
An adult weighs between 100 and 250 pounds"

Those really live in Colorado & Wyoming etc etc Rocky Mountains. Plus bears. Plus coyotes. Plus bobcats (smaller cousin to mnt lion)...
You are actually not likely to hit that animal in the face once, twice, or three times. Not likely. No offense just saying what we carry for humans versus animals is a very serious discussion that merits thought and engagement.

Cool and Fun Facts about the life, behavior and personality of Mountain Lions
  • Keen sense of hearing and sight
  • Solitary animals
  • Extremely agile - can leap up to 20 feet
  • Sharp Claws
  • Strong Jaws

MichaelWDean

imported post

catass wrote
If you shoot anything in the face, enough, it'll leave you alone :)
Not always. Sometimes they'll charge you to try to stop it.

Boston's Gun Bible has a story of a friend of Boston's who was attacked by a mountain lion (which are not nearly as big as some bears, most mountain lions weigh under 200 pounds) and it took five shots of .357 from a snubbie to take it down.

I was looking for a news story I read about a small bear (150 pounds) in Colorado that got in someone's home, the guy shot it with a 12-guage shotgun, got out of the house and called 911. The cops came and the bear was still confrontational. They shot it three times with .40 handguns, it was still ready to fight. It took a cop's rifle to bring it down.

I couldn't find the story though, I searched the words
bear shotgun rifle Colorado police
on google and apparently there are 33,100 pages on the Internet that contain all those words!

I did run across the story of how there have been 26 attacks in downtown Denver in four months of black gangs targeting and assaulting random white people, while yelling "f*&^ You whitey!" and things like that while they gang up and beat them senseless.

No mention of the phrase "hate crime" in that story though:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/21868721/detail.html

Gangs haven't made it much to Wyoming. Only a little in Cheyenne. They haven't made it to Casper yet. I'm ready if they do. I may start open carrying the FAL if they do. That's legal here.

FALboy.jpg

And no I'm not racist, and I'm not a skinhead. That's just my summer 'doo.

MWD