• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hollow points shot into a Sandbag!

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

Hereis a photo of some Hollow Points I shot into a Sandbag. The Sandbag is the kind with the woven plastic on the outside and the inside has a clear plastic bag.

Anyway, the white plastic bag filled the HPs with plastic, next time I will try the thin "play sand" bag of sand to see if they (HPs) will open up better.

This is the first time doing this, any suggestions as fto what else to shoot into to see how the HP bullets will respond?

Porter N

imported post

i shot a few into wet cat litter and a couple wet phone books and got some fairly decent results. my friend at work was saying he shot different brand JHPs into a 4x4 of wood and dug them out. that seems like a lot of work to me, but he said they opened up really well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Try the same thing with Corbon DPX and Federal HST - I think you'll get a different result.

Yata hey

Porter N

imported post

what kind of water jugs do you shoot? i've never caught a bullet in a water jug, they explode pretty awesomely, but i've never had luck for catching bullets in 2 litre bottles or gallon jugs...

the .308 is especially fun to shoot 20oz. water bottles with.

mqondo

imported post

Porter N wrote:
what kind of water jugs do you shoot? i've never caught a bullet in a water jug, they explode pretty awesomely, but i've never had luck for catching bullets in 2 litre bottles or gallon jugs...

the .308 is especially fun to shoot 20oz. water bottles with.
I save 1 gallon milk jugs, clean them out, and then fill them with water when I go out shooting. I will line them up about 6 deep for pistol bullets. They usually only go through 4 or 5, sometimes less depending on caliber.

rpyne

imported post

mqondo wrote:
I save 1 gallon milk jugs, clean them out, and then fill them with water when I go out shooting. I will line them up about 6 deep for pistol bullets. They usually only go through 4 or 5, sometimes less depending on caliber.
Doing this with HSTs produces true works of art.

Porter N

imported post

I just bought a Sig 226, and now cant find ANY hollow points in 9mm any where. once they're a little more available, i'll have to try the water thing. :D

mqondo

imported post

Try Sportsman's. I have seen a decent amount of hollow points there. Not a ton, but more than past months.

younggun20

imported post

Porter N wrote:
I just bought a Sig 226, and now cant find ANY hollow points in 9mm any where. once they're a little more available, i'll have to try the water thing. :D
I was recently at Impact in west valley looking for a G22c (which i am now a proud owner of) And they had alot of ammo. Well alot compared to past months

Porter N

imported post

I need to update my info with my location. I live in Idaho for now, but my wife and I may be moving down to Utah in the near future. i'll check out sportsmans here. we do visit Utah fairly often, so i'll have to check out those stores, thanks!

off topic - kind of - but what's ya'lls favorite defense ammo? i havent been able to shoot more than one or two kinds, so i'm still in the dark on a lot of the personal protection grade munitions.

ps: i like the Utah forum. it can be a tad more active than the idaho one.

pps(edit 2): just for fun, i'll post some pics of my caught rounds. and one range visit, i was prone-shooting my .308 and i had a lot of crap in my pockets, including 75 cents in quarters. i piled all three quarters on top of each other and put a 9mm round right into the middle of them. the round is now stuck in the top one and the other two are quite warped as well.

younggun20

imported post

I recently have began carrying Winchester bonded in my g22.

Heres a pic of one of the rounds fired into phone books. I think it opened well and maintained structure fairly well

DSC00379.jpg

http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/handgun-ammunition/supreme-elite/bonded-pdx1/Pages/default.aspx

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Porter N wrote:
but what's ya'lls favorite defense ammo?

i piled all three quarters on top of each other and put a 9mm round right into the middle of them. the round is now stuck in the top one and the other two are quite warped as well.

Money to burn? Send it my way!!! :p

I carry 180 grain Remington Gloden Sabres in my Glock. I have been meaning to collect some, to see how they expand.

550296.jpg

Porter N

imported post

I went out to the range today with my Sig p226 and springfield xd .40 subcompact to test out some hollow points into phone books. the picture explains the .40 rounds. the phone books didnt catch but 4 of my 9mm rounds. Three of the caught 9mm rounds were Federal Hydra-shok, and one was a Critical Defense. the critical defense round doesnt look much different than before it was shot, and the hydra-shok rounds just filled with phonebook, along with most of the .40's