Thread: Weird/Stupid Question...

Post imported post

Okay most say their isn't such thing as a stupid question, and that is what I tell people too, but...

Here is my (questionable) question...

Can you put firearms in the dish washer?

I decieded to clean my firearms today, I am on my second pistol as of now, and don't think I'm going to get to my long arms. I just re did my kitchen to include a nice new dishwasher (thanks to the inlaws Christmas present of the dish washer), would it be harmfull to just take a part my firearms (put my springs aside) and throw them all in the dishwasher?

Like I said, may just be a stupid question, but if I can this would be freakin sweet!

Thanks guys!

God Bless!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Try it and let us know.

Would you wash your guns in the sink?

Post imported post

I havn't, although if I knew that it was safe to, quicker, and easier, I might...
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    God Bless

Post imported post

If there is anything anywhere on it that can rust, don't do it. And I can almost guarantee you there is on any gun you have.

The last thing you want is for a bolts threads to rust out and have the bolt snap, or have some other imperatively important little part rust out, rendering your gun into a very expensive rock to throw. If you did that, you'd need to spend hours re lubricating the thing. NOT worth it.

If you want fast and cheap cleaning, go to the auto parts store, and get carb and choke cleaner and brake cleaner. Carb and choke cleaner is very effective, but also very acidic and has nasty fumes. Brake cleaner is about half as effective, but not nearly as dangerous to skin, eyes, or cheap/sensitive finishes.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I don't think that dishwasher detergent would be effective for cleaning firearms.

Maybe using a guncleaning solvent in the wash cycle and a lubricant in the rinse cycle would be effective instead.

Post imported post

I don't know of anyone who tried it on a modern firearm, but I have a fried that cleans his cap & balls in the dishwasher (minus the grip). Once they're done, he lets them dry, and then puts Rem-Oil on them.
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

I thought for a long time that the only stupid question is a question not asked, I now stand corrected...LOL just razzin ya!

1st, is it metal or plastic? Metal will rust, plastic may warp due to the heat.

2nd. If you wouldn't wash it in the sink I wouldn't put it in the dish washer.

3rd. :celebrate

Post imported post

4th

Thanks all, I now have walked away with what I walked in with, with some additional sarcasm. I figured I couldn't but just thought I might ask, I was curious!

God Bless
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

God Bless

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Post imported post

Yooper wrote:
    I don't know of anyone who tried it on a modern firearm, but I have a fried that cleans his cap & balls in the dishwasher (minus the grip). Once they're done, he lets them dry, and then puts Rem-Oil on them.
    :what:
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

I used to take my stainless Ruger Old Army disassembled, and clean it in the kitchen sink with water, dish soap a brush. Then I'd rinse it and put the parts in the oven at 250 degrees and dry it for 25 minutes. That way no water was left on it to cause rust.
    Then after it cooled, I'd oil it lightly and put it back together. Never had a problem.
    If I had had a blue model, I'd have done it the same way.
    I've read of guys putting them in the dish washer, but I never tried it.
    If you let the water evaporate, you will get rust. That's why I put it in the oven.
    Also, black powder will clean up with soap and water. Smokeless is a different animal.

hidehunter

Post imported post

Had a guy on another forum ask what to do about his gun as he had dropped it in the Atlantic ocean while fishing.

I told him to remove all wood and plastic and boil it on the stove in distilled water to get the salt out and then to oil it heavily and then clean as usual. He reported back that it worked and he has had 0 rust problems.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

This will work on AK47s and SKS, although those were the only rifles i've ever seen cleaned in soap and water.

I thought about running my muzzle loader barrel through the wash but i didn't think it would clean the bore well enough.

Just dry them out immediately, other then that there's no problem, I've seen. But you have to wonder about soap residue/soap scum. Not to mention lime build up

Post imported post

For some reason I have a feeling I could clean my Glock this way too, simply because it's a Glock. Being that it's the only firearm I own right now, I dare not try, only because then I won't have a carry piece, but hey, the Glock torture tests are quite impressive at times.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    For some reason I have a feeling I could clean my Glock this way too, simply because it's a Glock. Being that it's the only firearm I own right now, I dare not try, only because then I won't have a carry piece, but hey, the Glock torture tests are quite impressive at times.

Post imported post

I'd only wash my glock in a front loading washing machine. Top loaders agitators are too hard on the sights.

Post imported post

Marine Combat Training 2006; took apart our M-16s, covered them in shaving cream, rinsed them off in the sinks and showers. Works wonders, just make sure they are completely dry and love them with oil when you are done. I have done it with government weapons, and a few of my personal ones.

Post imported post

Yooper wrote:
    I had a girlfriend who's dad used to do this. He never had any problems with them.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I have learned tonight! And I thought throwing the glock in the dishwasher was a gem of a marketing rumor! I have to say though, I am afraid to try... for now.
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

Thanks for the info guys. And Semper Fi KG. Just when you think we have talked about everything on here, huh? I still don't know if I wanna try it... I have a few glocks, I wanna pick my least favorite and give it a shot, but then again I don't have a least favorite!

God Bless
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

God Bless

Post imported post

For Glock owners who do not have access to a dishwasher, here is a vid to utilize your bathtub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeEnzVkglI

Post imported post

Wow. Can you actually wash a Glock in a dishwasher? LOL

Granted, mine has Talon Grips on it, so that wouldn't work out too well for me atm, but hey, if I got an RTF....
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    Wow. Can you actually wash a Glock in a dishwasher? LOL

Granted, mine has Talon Grips on it, so that wouldn't work out too well for me atm, but hey, if I got an RTF....
    Though I've never attempted to do it, I can't imaginehow it would be more harmful then those who use brake cleaner--a non-oil base product.

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Would you wash your guns in the sink?
    I have and do.

Like KimberGuy when I was in the Marine Corps (pronounced CORE, incase Obama reads this) in Saudi we would wash our M-16s in a deepsink in one of the warehouses and then let them sun dry. Add CPL, done!.

After shooting on Sunday I will usually wash my shotguns trigger group in the deepsink, dry, then oil.

Post imported post

Well you know what?

I just called Glock and left them a voice mail.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_contact.htm

If they don't answer my question, I will call HQ and leave one in German, hey maybe they are open now... I don't feel like using broken German to find out if I can put my Glocks in the dishwasher...

God Bless
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

God Bless