• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weird/Stupid Question...

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay most say their isn't such thing as a stupid question, and that is what I tell people too, but...

Here is my (questionable) question...

Can you put firearms in the dish washer?

I decieded to clean my firearms today, I am on my second pistol as of now, and don't think I'm going to get to my long arms. I just re did my kitchen to include a nice new dishwasher (thanks to the inlaws Christmas present of the dish washer), would it be harmfull to just take a part my firearms (put my springs aside) and throw them all in the dishwasher?

Like I said, may just be a stupid question, but if I can this would be freakin sweet!

Thanks guys!

God Bless!

Michigander

imported post

If there is anything anywhere on it that can rust, don't do it. And I can almost guarantee you there is on any gun you have.

The last thing you want is for a bolts threads to rust out and have the bolt snap, or have some other imperatively important little part rust out, rendering your gun into a very expensive rock to throw. If you did that, you'd need to spend hours re lubricating the thing. NOT worth it.

If you want fast and cheap cleaning, go to the auto parts store, and get carb and choke cleaner and brake cleaner. Carb and choke cleaner is very effective, but also very acidic and has nasty fumes. Brake cleaner is about half as effective, but not nearly as dangerous to skin, eyes, or cheap/sensitive finishes.

G

imported post

I don't think that dishwasher detergent would be effective for cleaning firearms.

Maybe using a guncleaning solvent in the wash cycle and a lubricant in the rinse cycle would be effective instead.

Yooper

imported post

I don't know of anyone who tried it on a modern firearm, but I have a fried that cleans his cap & balls in the dishwasher (minus the grip). Once they're done, he lets them dry, and then puts Rem-Oil on them.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

I thought for a long time that the only stupid question is a question not asked, I now stand corrected...LOL just razzin ya!

1st, is it metal or plastic? Metal will rust, plastic may warp due to the heat.

2nd. If you wouldn't wash it in the sink I wouldn't put it in the dish washer.

3rd. :celebrate

eastmeyers

imported post

4th :monkey

Thanks all, I now have walked away with what I walked in with, with some additional sarcasm. I figured I couldn't but just thought I might ask, I was curious!

God Bless

B

Bikenut

imported post

Yooper wrote:
I don't know of anyone who tried it on a modern firearm, but I have a fried that cleans his cap & balls in the dishwasher (minus the grip). Once they're done, he lets them dry, and then puts Rem-Oil on them.
:what:

hidehunter

imported post

I used to take my stainless Ruger Old Army disassembled, and clean it in the kitchen sink with water, dish soap a brush. Then I'd rinse it and put the parts in the oven at 250 degrees and dry it for 25 minutes. That way no water was left on it to cause rust.
Then after it cooled, I'd oil it lightly and put it back together. Never had a problem.
If I had had a blue model, I'd have done it the same way.
I've read of guys putting them in the dish washer, but I never tried it.
If you let the water evaporate, you will get rust. That's why I put it in the oven.
Also, black powder will clean up with soap and water. Smokeless is a different animal.

hidehunter

autosurgeon

imported post

Had a guy on another forum ask what to do about his gun as he had dropped it in the Atlantic ocean while fishing.

I told him to remove all wood and plastic and boil it on the stove in distilled water to get the salt out and then to oil it heavily and then clean as usual. He reported back that it worked and he has had 0 rust problems.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

This will work on AK47s and SKS, although those were the only rifles i've ever seen cleaned in soap and water.

I thought about running my muzzle loader barrel through the wash but i didn't think it would clean the bore well enough.

Just dry them out immediately, other then that there's no problem, I've seen. But you have to wonder about soap residue/soap scum. Not to mention lime build up

malignity

imported post

For some reason I have a feeling I could clean my Glock this way too, simply because it's a Glock. Being that it's the only firearm I own right now, I dare not try, only because then I won't have a carry piece, but hey, the Glock torture tests are quite impressive at times.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

malignity wrote:
For some reason I have a feeling I could clean my Glock this way too, simply because it's a Glock. Being that it's the only firearm I own right now, I dare not try, only because then I won't have a carry piece, but hey, the Glock torture tests are quite impressive at times.
:lol:

G

imported post

I'd only wash my glock in a front loading washing machine. Top loaders agitators are too hard on the sights.

Kimberguy

imported post

Marine Combat Training 2006; took apart our M-16s, covered them in shaving cream, rinsed them off in the sinks and showers. Works wonders, just make sure they are completely dry and love them with oil when you are done. I have done it with government weapons, and a few of my personal ones.

Bronson

imported post

Yooper wrote:

I had a girlfriend who's dad used to do this. He never had any problems with them.

Bronson

eastmeyers

imported post

Thanks for the info guys. And Semper Fi KG. Just when you think we have talked about everything on here, huh? I still don't know if I wanna try it... I have a few glocks, I wanna pick my least favorite and give it a shot, but then again I don't have a least favorite!

God Bless