Thread: What exactly is "Seattle's Gun Ban"?

Post imported post

What exactly does the Seattle ordinance saw regarding gun possession?

I haven't really been on the forum lately.

I have my CPL. If I CC in Seattle on public property (roads, parks, etc) am I within the law?

Post imported post

It's not a law, it's a Parks Department rule that says you cannot carry a gun on any parks property that is likely to have children present and has been posted with signs as such.

The Washington State Supreme Court declared the rule illegal. Federal court ruled it constitutional.

The federal court got it wrong. I do not know what it's legal status is now.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    It's not a law, it's a Parks Department rule that says you cannot carry a gun on any parks property that is likely to have children present and has been posted with signs as such.

The Washington State Supreme Court declared the rule illegal.* Federal court ruled it constitutional.

The federal court got it wrong.* I do not know what it's legal status is now.
    Actually it was King County Superior that ruled the ban as unenforceable. Also the judge in Warden did get it right based on the claims that Warden was making.

The legal status is that it is null and void.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

I stand corrected, thanks!

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:

The Washington State Supreme Court declared the rule illegal. Federal court ruled it constitutional.

The federal court got it wrong. I do not know what it's legal status is now.
    Seeing how Seattle is "City Limits", which falls under city jurisdiction, I wonder what the Seattle municipal court judges feel about this "rule"?, seeing how they're the first judges that will preside over such a case.

Post imported post

And basically, if I CC, I don't have anything to worry about

Post imported post

Since the Superior Court has already ruled on it. The city attourny is unlikely to file charges. However, this will not stop the police from arresting and sending the report to the city attourney office.

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    Since the Superior Court has already ruled on it. The city attourny is unlikely to file charges. However, this will not stop the police from arresting and sending the report to the city attourney office.
    Incorrect. The only 'enforcement action' that could be taken would be for the armed individual being asked to leave the premises. If said party refused, they would be cited for trespassing. No arresting going to happen for carrying on a CPL. Seattle PD is not dumb. They know the law (state preemption).

Post imported post

A CPL has no bearing on the situation.

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    Well according to Washington State Law, a city may create an ordinance to restrict the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, with the exception of those in possession of a CPL.

Post imported post

Ya I was under the impression that state preemption was just that. I was suprised to read Seattle was still giving you guys trouble. That said, I have oc'ed three days in downtown Seattle walking the entire city and never had a problem. I've walked by 5 seperate SPD, only reaction was a double take by one but he didn't say anything. I don't remember seeing a sign in the park by the market area. I think that's the only park I was in though.

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    I stand corrected, thanks!
    Orthopedic shoes?

Sorry, I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability.

IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Post imported post

I have a pair of those

Post imported post

Trigger Drwrote
    I have a pair of those
    Lifts!

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    j2l3 wrote:
    Well according to Washington State Law, a city may create an ordinance to restrict the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, with the exception of those in possession of a CPL.
    It says nothing about those in possession of a CPL. It says that the restrictions do not apply to one who is licensed, not one who possesses the license upon them. Something worth considering in case an issue ever comes up.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

Tawnos wrote:
    Aaron1124 wrote:
    j2l3 wrote:
    It says nothing about those in possession of a CPL. It says that the restrictions do not apply to one who is licensed, not one who possesses the license upon them. Something worth considering in case an issue ever comes up.
    (b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

RCW 9.41.070
    Concealed pistol license

Either way, that's what I meant. I'm not trying to get technical or anything.

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    Tawnos wrote:
    Aaron1124 wrote:
    j2l3 wrote:
    **** (b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

**** (i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

RCW 9.41.070
    Concealed pistol license

Either way, that's what I meant. I'm not trying to get technical or anything.

A cpl has nothing to do with the now defunct park ban. Parks do not fall under that statute. They are neither a stadium or convention center.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Forget the Seattle Gun Ban and read this (watch all the video's too) there are BIGGER fish to fry !

>>>
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/george-s...amendment.html