• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DIY ballistic gel

zack991

imported post

I have made it before and in most cases it will do more harm then good.
If you do not make sure the gel is harden long enough, too long or not mixed correctly your results will vary to both extremes. You have very little working time with the gel as well. I have had gels blocks stop rounds completely or not even slow them down.

Below is the FBI standard for their testing

The test media used by the FBI to simulate living tissue is 10% Ballistic Gelatin (Kind & Knox 250-A), mixed by weight (i.e., one pound of gelatin to 9 pounds of water). The gelatin is stored at 4° Centigrade (39.2° Fahrenheit) and shot within 20 minutes of being removed from the refrigerator. The temperature of the gelatin is critical, because penetration changes significantly with temperature. This specific gelatin mix was determined and calibrated by the U.S. Army Wound Ballistics Research Laboratory, Presidio of San Francisco, to produce the same penetration results as that obtained in actual living tissue. The 10 % gelatin has been correlated against the actual results of over 200 shooting incidents. Each gelatin block is calibrated before use to insure its composition is within defined parameters. Copies of the test protocol are available upon request for those interested in duplication the testing or reviewing the procedures in greater detail.

http://greent.com/40Page/general/fbitest.htm

AbNo

imported post

zack991 wrote:
If you do not make sure the gel is harden long enough, too long or not mixed correctly your results will vary to both extremes.
I wouldn't call that "more harm than good", I'd call it "totally nonscientific". :)

Michigander

imported post

A phone book or 4 soaked for 12-36 hours will very closely mimic muscles and organs. It is a fabulous DIY'er replacement for ballistic gelatin. These are commonly called "wet packs". You can also bundle and soak anything else that is made from news print paper.

To find out even more about a specific round with a wet pack, you can use dry wall, sheet metal, glass, even an animal skull if you have one handy.

4angrybadgers

imported post

AbNo wrote:
zack991 wrote:
If you do not make sure the gel is harden long enough, too long or not mixed correctly your results will vary to both extremes.
I wouldn't call that "more harm than good", I'd call it "totally nonscientific". :)
Exactly. I have no illusions about it being anything scientific, it's just really freaking cool. :D